Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Where is Dyselsdorp? Come I'll show you.. (dial-ups beware! 22 pics)  (Read 1258 times)

Offline SirGravellot

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda NXR 125
So, there I was, 9 am on a Saturday, standing at Honda George....waiting for other EcoNation riders to join me on a ¬Ī 260 km roundtrip to Rust-en-Vrede Waterfall on the Oude Muragie gravel road between De Rust and the Cango Caves.

The terrain: 94% Sec. Gravel; 6% Tar. Picnic lunch at the waterfall‚?¶.irresistible you would think‚?¶well apparently not. Nobody pitched. Go figure! ???

So to hell with it I‚??ll ride alone I decided. The Lone Ranger and Tonto ride again!  O0

The route should have been basically this:
Montagu Pass (1848) ‚?? Paardepoort ‚?? then next to Kammanassie Mountain Range: Daskop ‚?? Elandskraal - Koutjie  ‚?? through Dyselsdorp - then skirting Swartberg Mountains: Odemuragie ‚?? Grootkruis - Kleinkruis  - Rust-en-Vrede Waterfall ‚?? Picnic ‚?? Gatplaas ‚?? Vergelegen ‚?? Dyselsdorp ‚?? Kammanassie Dam - Heimersrivier ‚?? Paardepoort - Montagu Pass (1848) ‚?? Cactus Cantina Pub

So, instead I decided to do a shorter roundtrip to Dyselsdorp and back. Wow ‚?? I wasn‚??t expecting the day to turn out this nice.

I‚??ve been through the Montagu Pass probably a thousand times (exaggerating of course) ‚?¶but this time I stopped at a spot I‚??ve never stopped before. Just after the Keurtjie bridge I passed a mountain biker and he gestured up the pass so as to warn me of other bikers. I slowed and stopped for the mountain bikers coming down. When I looked up I suddenly saw the ‚??new‚?Ě Outeniqua Pass between the trees. What a picture I thought ‚?? ‚??Old‚?Ě and ‚??New‚?Ě in one pic ‚?? nice.

I went up the pass quite quickly and only stopped at the top. This pic was taken from the top of Montagu Pass down the valley towards Herold.

Coming into Paardepoort I stopped at this old abandoned house/shack/stable-thingy‚?¶Pure Paardepoort History‚?¶.I wandered who once lived here?

After Paardepoort I turned off and tackled some long straights of the Klein Karoo and enjoyed the incredible vistas with the backdrop of the Swartberg- and Kammanassie Mountain ranges on the distant horizon.

I was excited to be riding so close to the Kammanassie Mountain Range. The next pic was taken back towards Daskop at the foot of the Kammanassie Mountain Range.

From here I skirted the Kammanassie and stumbled upon some stunning vistas:

(Looking towards Oudtshoorn)

Trailrider ‚?? the next two pics are facing the ‚??Moeder van alle klowe‚?Ě‚??s side entrance.   >:D

Just before I reached Dyselsdorp the clouds where rolling over the Swartberg Mountains on the horizon:

Dyselsdorp is a primarily colored community with awesome scenic views all around the little town. I took the first road into Dyselsdorp and zigzagged through many pedestrian-busy streets before I ended up on the ‚??main‚?Ě road coming from the Kammanassie Dam side. The next two pictures where taken from Dyselsdorp towards the Swartberg Mountains to the North and North-West respectively:

This is a picture of (one of) the main Churches in Dyselsdorp.

Stairway to Heaven?

Right, time to head back home. The next pic was taken back towards Dyselsdorp on the Kammanassie rd.

After a near fall caused by a huge ‚??pool‚?Ě of fine white powder I stopped to take this. The different colors you see along the way are just amazing. Here‚??s a brilliant red Konglomerate wall in Hottom‚??s Kloof.

Looking back towards the Kammanassie Dam:

I stopped and bought a cold drink at the best (and only) shop in Herold and was once again amazed at what beauty surrounded me. These inhabitants of a little farm community see this every day, and I could not stop myself from wondering if they still appreciated it‚?¶.:

That‚??s the Outeniqua Mountain Range in the background and to be more specific - Cradock‚??s Peak.

The next picture summed up the whole day for me; which was almost a spiritual experience (like most times) ‚?? A Church ‚?? a ‚??Windpomp‚?Ě and my favorite road-sign ‚?? Amen;D

Just one last photo coming down the Montagu Pass ‚?? looking at Losberg:

If you have Google Earth installed and want to peek where Dyselsdorp is, you can download this Google Earth .kmz file and open it.

http://www.22south.com/images/Dyselsdorp.kmz
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 07:00:02 pm by SirGravellot »
Dream it - Do it

:brave:

Offline LostDOG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • It's confirmed - I am too sexy!
Thanks for sharing! Good one! ;D
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary MC

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
The "Moeder van alle klowe" will be conquered!  >:D

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
Hey Trail Rider, if you are thinking about tackling thet kloof, let me know!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Me and Sir Gravelot have been dreaming about that kloof. It's over private property and will be a trail ride of note! Are you up for it?  >:D ;D

Kev

Nicely done! :thumleft: I really like the styling of your 'lil Honda... cool looking bike. You happy with it?

Offline SirGravellot

• Pack Dog
Kev: Defo happy as pig in sh*t  :laughing7:  . IMO it's the best DS bike in it's class. :headbang:

It is incredibly light - Dry Weight(kg):115, has great Ground Clearance(mm):180, has a 14l tank, gets between 26 and 32 km/liter and rides like a R120 000 bike. :notworthy:   It's very easy and smooth to ride - especially for novices. :thumleft: :thumright: They also just keep on going - with no problems. Well I haven't had any yet or :dontknow: of any one having problems. 

That's also the main reasons why I have purchased 4 of them for my Eco Trails business. You can't get better money's worth. For between R14- and R15 500 you get a brand new all-round classy DS bike, reg and helmet included. It's a no-brainer IMO.

Just4therecord, I don't work for Honda or get any commission - if you wondered - ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dream it - Do it

Offline Leo

ok disseldorp, disselboom, whel what the hell.

u have been there and stil ask the question " Where is Dyselsdorp? Saturday Outride Ride Report..(dial-ups beware! 22 pics)"

U must be a arsehole!! Moeghoe!!!

Disseldorp is just the other way of disselboom!

Now, u know also! Fkcuk, whickey! Sorry, slangbut. NO! Slangbyt!! Fcuk

You practicing for Sunday?

//hijack off  ;D
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline SirGravellot

• Pack Dog
ok disseldorp, disselboom, whel what the hell.

u have been there and stil ask the question " Where is Dyselsdorp? Saturday Outride Ride Report..(dial-ups beware! 22 pics)"

U must be a arsehole!! Moeghoe!!!

Disseldorp is just the other way of disselboom!

Now, u know also! Fkcuk, whickey! Sorry, slangbut. NO! Slangbyt!! Fcuk

:laughing4: Wow, thanx ZonkelNUT for clearing that up completely!!  ;)  ...I think... ???  :-[

The question is for the reader not me.

//hijack off  +1
Dream it - Do it

Kev

Re: Where is Dyselsdorp? Come I'll show you.. (dial-ups beware! 22 pics)
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 03:28:50 pm »
IMO it's the best DS bike in it's class. It's very easy and smooth to ride - especially for novices. :thumleft: :thumright: They also just keep on going - with no problems.

Good stuff to know. Thanks. Scouting out the possibilities of adding a 125cc to my own hire business, and for my wife to learn and ride on. :thumleft:

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 03:48:41 pm »
I've been out with 3 of these on the 'Hell' trip we did.

Those are really nice bikes. Sometimes you'll hear the tyres on the gavel before you hear the engine.

Capable, clean and overall nice bikes.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline SirGravellot

• Pack Dog
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 04:15:02 pm »
Yep, good option. You can ask Trailrider's, Snap Crackle Pop's ex-wife and my wife how easy it is. All three of them basically learned to ride on the little 125's and ALL of them were sh*t scared and nervous ;D
Dream it - Do it

Offline chrisB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 08:50:22 pm »
WOW fantastic scenery! :glasses9:
G650 Xchallenge - uBerThuMper II

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 09:18:45 am »
Stunning scenery - Nice write up  ;D
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline droffarc

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 08:39:10 pm »
...This is a picture of (one of) the main Churches in Dyselsdorp.

Stairway to Heaven?

:D goes to show, religion can be hard work.  Nice report, thanks Sir.
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline Raider

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 08:51:00 pm »
Nice pic's and report :)
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional!