Where is Dyselsdorp? Come I'll show you.. (dial-ups beware! 22 pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirGravellot

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda NXR 125
So, there I was, 9 am on a Saturday, standing at Honda George....waiting for other EcoNation riders to join me on a ± 260 km roundtrip to Rust-en-Vrede Waterfall on the Oude Muragie gravel road between De Rust and the Cango Caves.

The terrain: 94% Sec. Gravel; 6% Tar. Picnic lunch at the waterfallâ?¦.irresistible you would thinkâ?¦well apparently not. Nobody pitched. Go figure! ???

So to hell with it Iâ??ll ride alone I decided. The Lone Ranger and Tonto ride again!  O0

The route should have been basically this:
Montagu Pass (1848) â?? Paardepoort â?? then next to Kammanassie Mountain Range: Daskop â?? Elandskraal - Koutjie  â?? through Dyselsdorp - then skirting Swartberg Mountains: Odemuragie â?? Grootkruis - Kleinkruis  - Rust-en-Vrede Waterfall â?? Picnic â?? Gatplaas â?? Vergelegen â?? Dyselsdorp â?? Kammanassie Dam - Heimersrivier â?? Paardepoort - Montagu Pass (1848) â?? Cactus Cantina Pub

So, instead I decided to do a shorter roundtrip to Dyselsdorp and back. Wow â?? I wasnâ??t expecting the day to turn out this nice.

Iâ??ve been through the Montagu Pass probably a thousand times (exaggerating of course) â?¦but this time I stopped at a spot Iâ??ve never stopped before. Just after the Keurtjie bridge I passed a mountain biker and he gestured up the pass so as to warn me of other bikers. I slowed and stopped for the mountain bikers coming down. When I looked up I suddenly saw the â??newâ? Outeniqua Pass between the trees. What a picture I thought â?? â??Oldâ? and â??Newâ? in one pic â?? nice.

Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip3.jpg

I went up the pass quite quickly and only stopped at the top. This pic was taken from the top of Montagu Pass down the valley towards Herold.
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip13.jpg

Coming into Paardepoort I stopped at this old abandoned house/shack/stable-thingyâ?¦Pure Paardepoort Historyâ?¦.I wandered who once lived here?
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip15.jpg

After Paardepoort I turned off and tackled some long straights of the Klein Karoo and enjoyed the incredible vistas with the backdrop of the Swartberg- and Kammanassie Mountain ranges on the distant horizon.

I was excited to be riding so close to the Kammanassie Mountain Range. The next pic was taken back towards Daskop at the foot of the Kammanassie Mountain Range.
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip16.jpg

From here I skirted the Kammanassie and stumbled upon some stunning vistas:
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip18.jpg

Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip19.jpg

(Looking towards Oudtshoorn)

Trailrider â?? the next two pics are facing the â??Moeder van alle kloweâ?â??s side entrance.   >:D
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip20.jpg

Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip21.jpg

Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip22.jpg

Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip26.jpg

Just before I reached Dyselsdorp the clouds where rolling over the Swartberg Mountains on the horizon:
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip25.jpg

Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip28.jpg

Dyselsdorp is a primarily colored community with awesome scenic views all around the little town. I took the first road into Dyselsdorp and zigzagged through many pedestrian-busy streets before I ended up on the â??mainâ? road coming from the Kammanassie Dam side. The next two pictures where taken from Dyselsdorp towards the Swartberg Mountains to the North and North-West respectively:
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip30.jpg

Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip31.jpg

This is a picture of (one of) the main Churches in Dyselsdorp.
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip32.jpg

Stairway to Heaven?

Right, time to head back home. The next pic was taken back towards Dyselsdorp on the Kammanassie rd.
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip34.jpg

After a near fall caused by a huge â??poolâ? of fine white powder I stopped to take this. The different colors you see along the way are just amazing. Hereâ??s a brilliant red Konglomerate wall in Hottomâ??s Kloof.
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip37.jpg

Looking back towards the Kammanassie Dam:
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip39.jpg

Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip40.jpg

I stopped and bought a cold drink at the best (and only) shop in Herold and was once again amazed at what beauty surrounded me. These inhabitants of a little farm community see this every day, and I could not stop myself from wondering if they still appreciated itâ?¦.:
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip41.jpg

Thatâ??s the Outeniqua Mountain Range in the background and to be more specific - Cradockâ??s Peak.

The next picture summed up the whole day for me; which was almost a spiritual experience (like most times) â?? A Church â?? a â??Windpompâ? and my favorite road-sign â?? Amen.  ;D
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip43.jpg

Just one last photo coming down the Montagu Pass â?? looking at Losberg:
Dysselsdorp_Roundtrip45.jpg

If you have Google Earth installed and want to peek where Dyselsdorp is, you can download this Google Earth .kmz file and open it.

https://www.22south.com/images/Dyselsdorp.kmz