Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Quad vs. Bike  (Read 1263 times)

Offline ITrider

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Despatch Dirt Rider
Quad vs. Bike
« on: June 21, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »
Hi all
I know I said I‚??ll have a ride report on the trip to Steytlerville but I just don‚??t think it‚??s worth the mention. On the other hand what I do feel is worth saying something about is Quad ‚??bikes‚?Ě. I was the only one with a bike on that trip the rest were quads (about 20 of them). All the way there and back these guys where calling their quads ‚??bikes‚?Ě, ??? now I don‚??t know about you but to me a quad is a quad and a bike is a bike, maybe they think of themselves as bikers because of the dirt in the eyes and the bugs in the teeth but when you sit on your arse and push a lever to go you not riding a bike. OK the riding wasn‚??t to bad just not organized well and to many quads.  >:(
Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. Jonathan Kozol

Offline Avon

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Quad vs. Bike
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 01:41:08 pm »
I'm one of those that also like to sit on my arse and push a lever every now and again >:D >:D
Dirt in the eyes and bugs in the teeth indeed..........

Ever tried one ITrider?
"always try to improve the nut between the handlebar and seat."

Offline ITrider

• Pack Dog
  • Despatch Dirt Rider
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 01:57:40 pm »
Ever tried one ITrider?
A friend has one, tried it didn't like it. Not for me thanks

Offline Ballies

• Cut me loose
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • KTM 950 Adventure Rules!!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »
Well this can become technical. :P

motorBIcycle is a cycle motor with 2 wheels
A kwad is a cycle motor with quadro(4) wheels.

so technically a quad is not a bike its a qauke ;D ;D ;D
I want a shark with a frikken laser beam

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 09:35:09 pm »
I'm one of those that also like to sit on my arse and push a lever every now and again >:D >:D
Dirt in the eyes and bugs in the teeth indeed..........

Ever tried one ITrider?

+1

Ride the right kwat for you, in the right situation / surroundings and you will not believe how much fun you will have
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 09:41:52 pm »
Quads are fun, I have ridden more than my fair share, but I must agree, a quad is NOT a bike! It just has handlebars that are the same. IMO they do not need any special skill to ride, until you start caning them, then you need to be awake. But even then, the techniques are very different to riding a BIKE.
Quads are like jetskis to me, both an irritation. The thing with a quad is that you must cause kark on them to have fun, and this is what irritates most people.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Bossies

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
    • http://buyaikhaya.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »
Before I continue I will warn you that this posting has massive gross generalisations so please go outside and buy a bag of salt before reading further:

Because quads are so easy to ride; you need a arse and a thumb; you get a significantly higher number of idiots using them. In no matter what activity you will always have idiots, but as there are so few (relatively) bikers there are very few idiots on bikes but, as far as I have been informed, there are many more people with quads out there (some with trailers with 4 quads) and therefore there will be a lot more idiots out there that ride quads...get my logic.

I absolutely agree, and will sign any paper to help have quads banned from Namibia. Every single bloody year it just gets worse and worse the way the idiots that go camp at Langstrand go and rip up the gravel plains. An the irresponsible parents that allow their 10 year old kids to ride around town (Swakop) and then get annoyed when people complain... It's not your bloody play ground your twats. Take you idiot attitude and p-off back to the hole you crawled out of. Leave it to the professional companies to run their eco-concious trips throug the dune belt.

Snuff said.

rant over :-\

...and yes I have used them. One day when I have had both my hips and knees replaced and can't get my leg over a Harley low rider then I ight think of buying one.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 10:43:29 pm by Bossies »
If there's a will there's a way...so I will anyway!!!
http://buyaikhaya.blogspot.com
BMX, Orange "Help-my-trap", Honda Lead 50, TW125, XJ600s, Funduro, XJ900s, XR250, DL650VStrom, DR650SE, R80GS Now: Bikeless

Offline Avon

• Pack Dog
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 07:23:13 am »
Bossies, I‚??m having a cuppa, same effect as the bag of salt. The way I see it:-

My wife and I ride LTZ 250‚??s and I can only just still swing my leg over the RT ;)

You better get a quad NOW if you still want to experience the numb arse and thumb sensation. >:D

Anyone still remember those long fishing trips down to the east or west coast before the 4x4 bans from the beach? I wouldn‚??t mind having the cash invested in fishing gear alone that are now gathering dust in storage all over the country. Same thing happened then and history tends to repeat itself. Discussions in 4x4 magazines, Government granting permission for the clubs to get their act together and regulate themselves and typical souf efrican attitude, we will do as we please‚?¶‚?¶‚?¶banned from the beaches!

I see many quads, and mark these words, even off-road tweelies gathering dust somewhere in the not too distant future unless we do things differently this time round. There are a few likeminded people out there (see http://www.chatquads.co.za/forum/phpBB2/index.php and http://now.org.za) that hope to make a difference.

Someone once said that we can scream and throw rocks at the quad riders, or we can try to work with them to build a new future.

Adventurer I do NOT have to cause kark on the quad to have fun and if I want to really try out my and the quads capabilities I go to a place like Rhino park near Cullinan where I only piss off the tweelies by caning the quad and using the very different techniques you mentioned‚?¶‚?¶‚?¶‚?¶

shark_za

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 07:27:15 am »
Its a human rights issue. Who says you can ban one type of activity and not others if the environmental imact is the same.
Its just billshit. Ban Ban Ban !

Next thing you know we are living in England. Police State.

Offline Doggone

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Fairlands, Johannesburg
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 07:56:03 am »
I have been riding Quads for the past  few years and can understand why Bossies feels the way he does. I have been to Langstrand (Swakop)and experienced the issues he mentions.

The generalisations are however just that, generalisations. There are a group of us who make our families aware of the ecological issues and find enjoyment in being part of nature.The quads give us access to areas where you would not normally be able to get to. If my kids rode dirtbikes into these areas , I would like to believe that they would still apply the same rules. ;D

This does not mean that there are not times and places where you can't ride them hard!! ;D

The point that I am making is that it is not the quads that are at fault. It is again the few , stuffing it up for the many! The ease of access to quads by under age and or untrained individuals is the problem. We need to addres it or Kortbroek will regulate us as well! :angryfire:

Having recently started biking again after 25 years I am now more aware of bikers. I see the same behaviour with idiots wheelieing across intersections in Sandton . This does not mean that bikes should be banned.!!  >:D

We need to think carefully about what the problem really is  or we will all pay the price!! ;D
"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the Courage to Continue that Counts"  Winston Churchill
Bike History: 1976 Yamaha Chappy-50cc; 1978 Yamaha RD50; 1979 Suzuki TS125; 1980 Suzuki GS 400; 27 years of bikelessness ; 2007 BMW R1200GS - 125 000 km's , 2017 BMW R1200GSA LC (Lowered)😁 WOW!

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 09:48:51 am »
Problem is that there are far more asrhles on quads than on bikes.

If you buy a tray of eggs and only one is rotten you wont bother to take it back to the supermark. But if more than half of the eggs stink then you will for sure go and complain.

Only about 1% of bikers can pull a wheely across an intersection. On the other hand about only 1% of guad riders respect others and the enviroment.

So to sum it up. The % of quad riders that make things difficult for others far outnumber the ones that try not to fark up everything.

Jezt me speaking my 'ol mind.... O0

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 09:55:04 am »
This might be a pointless place to jump in but there is another point i would like to bring up.
Safety, because Kwads are easy to ride people just go out there and buy them for the kids.
It took me a long time to convince the boss/wife that i feel that a bike is safer than a kwad, on the
Principle that when you come short on  bike 70% of the time you and the bike are going in different directions.
on a kwad its coming after you like blue bull in a bar after a couple of brandy's.
most times it gets painful.
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Avon

• Pack Dog
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 10:18:54 am »
Pierredb wrote ‚??The ease of access to quads by under age and or untrained individuals is the problem.‚?Ě

So how do we begin to fix the problem?

In order to do this on a national level you will need a leader to spend all his/her time and effort to lead such a campaign. Involve clubs, forums, magazines, dealers, trainers, etc. Impossible task for many of us I‚??m sure.

Let‚??s face it, on forums such as these we are mostly preaching to the converted, with the exception of a few die-hards anyway. Most of the people reading here have a certain level of education, access to the internet and earn good enough bucks to be able to participate in our outdoor adventures. We are also more than likely able to base our own decisions about what and how to do things.

At best, we can try to educate (I hate to use that term) where we see people that obviously do not share our beliefs about safe and responsible riding. Call me na√Įve, but as recent as yesterday I managed to have someone on this very forum that I do not know from Adam to have second thoughts about cagers. Don‚??t give me that cr@p about quaddies being drunkards not listening to reason, etc. I have heard all those ‚??why we cannot do anything‚?Ě arguments before. Most of the people out there are not idiots; they just do not now better. People will change if made aware of the dangers and implications of their actions.

WE can make a difference by slowly eating the elephant bit by bit. I for one will take on any poster on this or any other forum I frequent that gets pissed off when riding in traffic; and I will walk up and chat to any person that allow his kids to ride without a helmet at any dirt venue. I will do so because even if I only manage to change 50% of those‚?¶‚?¶‚?¶‚?¶Very first thing to get rid off is the us and them attitude - at the end of the day we will all be affected by ours and other outdoor venue riders actions.

Anyone willing to join me?

Offline ITrider

• Pack Dog
  • Despatch Dirt Rider
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 12:43:09 pm »
Well as I started this I'll do my part down in PE but I'm not the biggest guy on the block and I'm just afraid some big dutchmen on a big quad klobbers me :D
But then again I've got a fast bike so I'll be OK

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 01:47:05 pm »
Lotsa reading material ...which i scanned briefly.

Lotsa idijits on 2 wheels as well.

Quads are fun, but i do not take it seriously when getting on one, cuz it's so mutch easier to ride than a bike, specially in sand.

I fou want to make a statement.. go play with the kwats on your ds bike..they will stop and look on in amazement as your bike goes places they are uncapable of going..

I proved it in december..give me a couple of cold ones, a willing dakar, some shorts and plakkies.. and there is no difference between me and the perceived kwat idjit..i got the scar on my leg to prove it.. and a pic somewhere on the forum..

It's a personal choice.. i prefer 2 wheels , some prefer 4.

There is no moral high ground favouring any-one to point a finger.

you can come park you kwat in my corner.

Oppad

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 02:45:05 pm »
Only about 1% of bikers can pull a wheely across an intersection.

Does it count if you did it unintentionally because you were not used to your buddy's weight on pillion?

Seriously, kwats to me are just so stoopid (no insult intended to individuals) and limited. You either have to trailer them to where you can enjoy them or scoot across back roads illegally. Yes, I've been on one or two but I did not get it. I like the part where you can stop and think when you're going uphill though. On a bike you usually come crashing down if you try it.

But a bike (especially a ds) is such a versatile thing and you can enjoy it almost anywhere. For instance, a couple of Sundays ago I was itching but did not have a lot of time before other duties had to be attended to. So, at a whim, I just quickly grabbed the KLR, scooted across Helshoogte (Stellenbosch), across Franschoek pass, whipped past Worcester, zapped over Du Toitskloof pass and arrived at home without even having had to fill up or get off the bike. Quick, quick, very enjoyable and no need even to get off the tar. Try that with a quad if the whim takes you.

Offline Temik

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • Riebeek-Wes
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 08:04:25 pm »
As part of my work,  I have spent the last three weeks on a quad bike inspecting wheat fields for the farmers in and  around the greater Riebeek Rift Valley.  I  must say that every night I look longingly at my two wheeler and know that her time will come. In fact I have started dreaming about her, much to my wifes horror and vark me I have still got at least two weeks left on my quad. There is just no comparison! Quads are good work horses for the farming community, you can't do any "long way round trips." It's also just varking boring.  :tongue7:
990 R

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 09:27:47 am »
Quads and bikes both have their places.
Also, you cannot compare a quad to a DS bike - more to an offroad bike (both have to be trailered somewhere)

I have great fun on my DS bike, but just as much on my quad - totally different !!

You may have seen this already:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7980.0
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Katoom

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 11:06:20 am »
Well as I started this I'll do my part down in PE but I'm not the biggest guy on the block and I'm just afraid some big dutchmen on a big quad klobbers me :D
But then again I've got a fast bike so I'll be OK

Firstly: I don't like riding quads, I don't think you can use quad and bike in the same sentense, but ride whatever tickles your fancy.
Secondly: What do you mean with "DUTCHMEN"?? Soutpiel...
Life's too short.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 05:55:51 am »

Firstly: I don't like riding quads, I don't think you can use quad and bike in the same sentense, but ride whatever tickles your fancy.
Secondly: What do you mean with "DUTCHMEN"?? Soutpiel...

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 05:57:09 am by Trailrider »