Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Quad vs. Bike  (Read 1270 times)

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1250 GSA
    • Country Trax
Re: Quad vs. Bike
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 08:29:15 am »
I believe that some kind of formal training should be made compulsory, even for "off road" riding.  When cars first arrived, you did not need a license, but once there were too many of them, you had to have some kind of control.  The same happened recently with boats.  I have had a sea skippers license for years, and I think it is a good thing to do the same for inland waters.  Firearms is another example.

It is about putting together the material and educating people in the things they should know (about the machine and the envirionment where you operate it), and ensuring they are competent, before they set off.  Does not have to be very complicated, but if it is implemented, nobody can use the "I did not know" excuse.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 02:15:53 pm »
Its a human rights issue. Who says you can ban one type of activity and not others if the environmental imact is the same.
Its just billshit. Ban Ban Ban !

Next thing you know we are living in England. Police State.

Ah no mate, that's Australia.
Just about everything fun/adventurous thing is getting banned here.
Horse riding, canyoning, mountain climbing, base-jumping, trail biking, 4x4 ing, mountain biking...walking the dog...the list is long.

You remember those pics Wayne and I posted up of our riding at the Stockton Sand Dunes in the summer?...the dunes are now closed to all vehicles. >:(

It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 07:52:22 am »
...The same happened recently with boats.  I have had a sea skippers license for years, and I think it is a good thing to do the same for inland waters. ...
Just a point of correction SGB.  This qualification is known as a Small Vessel Certificate of Competency, issued under the control of the South African Maritime Safety Authority.  The qualification has various levels namely; Sheltered Waters Skipper, Day Skipper - Local Waters, Coastal Skipper, and Skipper Offshore.   The term license implies that you pay an annual fee, thus you 'buy' your qualification, which is obviously incorrect (at least I sincerely hope so :evil6:).

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1250 GSA
    • Country Trax
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 11:28:37 am »
Watty, Sorry mate, intention was not to get technical.  It's just that my "Certificate of Competency" to drive a car / truck / bike is casually referred to as a License, and I applied the same "loose" term to the skippers side.  But you are correct.  Let's rather discuss the principle of "Proof of Competency" in the context of the thread.  Apologies!
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2007, 01:09:51 pm »
Watty, Sorry mate, intention was not to get technical.  It's just that my "Certificate of Competency" to drive a car / truck / bike is casually referred to as a License, and I applied the same "loose" term to the skippers side.  But you are correct.  Let's rather discuss the principle of "Proof of Competency" in the context of the thread.  Apologies!
No problem. :thumright:  It is just that some SAMSA officials gets quite red in the face if they start hearing about the term Skipper License.

Offline ITrider

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Despatch Dirt Rider
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2007, 04:38:47 pm »
Skipper License.
I don't know about skipping license ;D ;D but quads suck >:D
Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. Jonathan Kozol

Offline Avon

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 07:30:29 am »
OK, so quads are boring, easy to ride, a schlep to get to and from venues, etc. but we also run the risk of having venues closed down like in Australia to all vehicles........so it's their (the quaddies) problem now, or is it?

I just wonder why if the above is true, why we see so many newspaper articles about quad accidents and so very few efforts to make it our problem and do something about it.
"always try to improve the nut between the handlebar and seat."

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 08:30:04 am »
Quads are being targeted by the media, as it makes for good sensational news.
Deaths of motorcycles are not as widely published, as they have been around for a while.

Remember those 3 wheeled bikes (the predecessor of the quad) big fat offroad takkies...they were banned because they were unsafe and people were being killed all over the show.. or so the story goes..