Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW warranty dichotomy  (Read 661 times)

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
BMW warranty dichotomy
« on: June 21, 2007, 04:16:57 pm »
Damn, it feels good to use big words that youv'e been saving for years just waiting for an opportunity.

Like I said, dichotomy. The way I understand things is that should your bike have a part replaced under warranty two weeks before the warranty expires, the part will only have  a two week warranty.

However, should you choose to pay to have the part replaced, the part will have a 2 year warranty.

Please tell me I'm mistaken.

jabu69

Re: BMW warranty dichotomy
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 04:46:44 pm »
Get yourself a lawyer boet!  ;)

Offline seanred

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kingwilliamstown
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 06:54:03 pm »
Same applies to appliances. A vacuum cleaner packs up and only two weeks left on warranty. The NEW replacement only has a two week warranty, go figure. ???

D7

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:08:20 pm »
i think it goes something like this:

the manufacturers make things to break after a year,  so that you have to pay for the replacement,  right?   otherwise,  you'd buy once and they'd go bust...
sometimes they get there timing off,  and the thing packs up after less than a year.
if you kept on being the anomaly,  you could concievably get free vaccuums for ever.   
also,  judging by the q in the returns dept last time i was there,  they seem to be getting their timing wrong!!!! - FREE VACUUMS FOR EVERYONE FOR EVER!!!!!

but to the point: you buy an item,  and they guarantee it for a year.   if it breaks in the year,  they are only bound to replace the thing you lost.   Giving you an additional guarantee is not something in the inital contract,  and as they say - nothing for nothing.... again,  I refer you above - the part IS manufacured to collapse 1 day after the guarantee expires...

Offline Highlander

• There can be only one !!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Piaggio (all models)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:35:26 am »
Had a part replaced on my bike one month before the end of warranty. They told me the same thing, only a short guarentee on the new part. I was a bit peed of at that stage.

shark_za

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 07:43:33 am »
Why?

You got your full years warranty, thats all you paid for.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 10:24:14 am »
I had my Zumo 550 replaced a few weeks ago & the warranty starts all over again.  I was surprised as I bought one with a guarantee for so long & now that period has been extended.  There was absolutely no quibbling by the Garmin people about it.  However, if it had been a grey import they would have had nothing to do with me.

Offline Hermanator

• Race Dog
  • Wine brings out the best in me!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 10:44:44 am »
My RT popped a shock when I did a tour of Ireland in 2004. The bike being a 2001 model was obviously out of warranty. At the time though, the bike had only done 19000 miles and BMW agreed that the part should be up for more than 19000 miles.

We then agreed that we would each pay 50% of the cost. As a consequence, the shock had a 2 year warranty applied to it. I was convinced that the shock hadn't been fitted properly and consequently, the shock failed again, this time at 32000 miles. There was no question and BMW (Germany) approved the replacement of the part by Auto Atlantic, even though the previous part I had replaced was done in England.

This new shocker, only has a 3 month warranty on it!

Previously, on my 1100RS, the 3rd gear went which resulted in a replacement gearbox. This was while the bike was under warranty. There was no subsequent extension to the warranty on the gearbox. It expired when the warranty on the bike expired.

I was suprised to find that, while looking at Auto Atlantic's 2nd hand models, that they only offer a 3 month warranty on 2nd hand bikes and not, the standard BMW Approved Used Warranty. This warranry is unquestionable, right down to the BMW on Call.

Lawrence

shark_za

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 12:23:13 pm »
Isnt the legality around selling the warranty, a portion of the cost goes to cover this.

I have this all the time in my line of work, at the time of sale a warranty is paid for, if something gets replaced during that time no new money is recieved and the cost is taken from the sellers account. This is only there to cover the original 1 year.
Should you purchase something and pay for it yourself, then that part may be sold with a 1 year warranty, and only that part.

So its totally acceptable to only cover the whole bike for the term origianlly agreed , even if they replace the whole thing on day 364.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 12:32:56 pm »
Why?

You got your full years warranty, thats all you paid for.

Very valid shark ... and damn true ..
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Hermanator

• Race Dog
  • Wine brings out the best in me!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 01:49:32 pm »
IN the UK, tis is the reason one buys (a BMW) from a dealer. Click on the http://www.sbwmotorrad-bmw.com/ and navigate to the Approved Used BMW. Every one of those bikes is sold with a 2 year approved used warranty.

Is this even offered on bikes in SA?

The link is to Sawbridgeworth BMW in Hertfordshire from whom I bought my last 3 bikes. David Halsall is a SAfrican from Gordon's Bay.

As the BMW warranty is global, it may be worth importing for that alone!

Lawrence