Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Paying fees at Bots border  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Three Dawg

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1100GS
  • Foreign Dog
    • Our Facebook Page
Paying fees at Bots border
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:30:26 pm »
Can someone advise on whether I need to get Pula to pay border fees before crossing at Martin's Drift into Botswana, or are ZARs acceptable?  And if I do, where to get some- Pula are not available in the UK.  Are they available on demand at any bank?

Offline kwassi

Re: Paying fees at Bots border
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:48:33 am »
If I remember correctly I paid by Credit Card there last year.

We had no Pula on us.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 07:57:10 am by kwassi »
Solo travellers should not be considered unsociable, they are expressing their independence until they choose to do otherwise.

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Live and let live (to a point)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:53:01 am »
I have always had to order Pula from my bank (Std)
There are money changers at the border. Martins Drift and Romotswa.
1200GS

Offline Three Dawg

• Pack Dog
  • Foreign Dog
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 10:32:29 am »
Good to know there's a chance to use plastic, although I suppose we should change some cash just in case there's nothing available in Sherwood. 

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 11:04:31 am »
You can pay ZAR but they shaft you a bit on the exchange rate. I don't know about paying with a card at the small road tax/insurance window though  :patch:

Offline Coala

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 05:08:37 pm »
you can pay in rand - they convert themselves

instead opf 1.06 they use 1.80  :imaposer:

but then again, it works out not that much

remember to buy multiple entry if you need to go through Botsw again

Offline Three Dawg

• Pack Dog
  • Foreign Dog
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 06:19:57 pm »
instead opf 1.06 they use 1.80  ImaPoser

but then again, it works out not that much

remember to buy multiple entry if you need to go through Botsw again

Good to know.  Will make sure we get the multiple entry cos we're going into the Caprivi and to Vic falls for a bit.

As for the cost, well I filled up my 1100 with the fuel light on at the gas station at the far end of Loch Ness the other night, cost me 27 quid or about 340 Rand  :o and it can't be worse than that.  37 degrees and sunny this weekend in Maun- that matters more! :biggrin:

Offline Coala

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 05:35:48 am »
your going to love it - damn i am jealous

Offline Magnum

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 08:21:09 am »
Just come back from a ride there. Went through the pans. Some easy good riding but some sections of serious sand. 9 hours to do 130 km. All four riders fell of at least once. One mate on a 1200GS fell off 5 times and the last time the bike was terminal. Lucky I had my dad in my bakkie as a back up with a trailer. Can post a few pics if you are interested.

Offline Three Dawg

• Pack Dog
  • Foreign Dog
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 10:35:46 am »
Can post a few pics if you are interested.

Sure am!  Don't reckon on venturing very far off the beaten track with someone else's 1200, would all end in tears,  so as an 'adventure' ride it's a bit tame, but then I've never riddeen anywhere with ellies roaming free.  Do the latest GSs have reverse gear? :o

Offline Grumpy Buffalo

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Every great idea I have gets me in trouble
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 02:06:21 pm »
Been to Botswana twice now the first time I "had to" go change for Pula first at Martins drift there is a container which acts like the exchange shop. The second time I paid with ZAR no problem. Even the big supermarkets accept ZAR, what exchange rate they use I dont know. UIDOI (Use It Dont Use IT)

Offline Three Dawg

• Pack Dog
  • Foreign Dog
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 01:38:46 pm »
Thanx for that Hennie.  One week to go till we fly out.  Yee haar! :biggrin:

Offline Roadcat

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 02:00:14 pm »
If you go to M&S Money and give them a couple of days advance notice I believe they can arrange to get currencies that they wouldn't normally have in for you. You can also buy it online and get it delivered so you don't need to leave the house - but I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to risk that. Try here: http://money.marksandspencer.com/travel/travel-money/overview/#further-details
I don't like morning people... in fact I don't like mornings, or people!

KTM 690 Enduro
Yamaha XT500 (Undergoing surgery)

Offline JIMBO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR350
  • The Great TOAG
    • Hardcore Volcano
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 03:22:39 pm »
Go to the Service Stations at the town or towns before the border, for example Mafikeng, Zeerust and Groot Marico etc.  Tell the cashier you want to swap Rands for Pula.  They will gladly do it at 1 to 1 as they have already ripped of the travellers from Botswana.  The petrol stations in turn do not want to be ripped off again by the banks.  You can usually get many thousands, but if you want to get more you might need to go to several petrol stations.  It has always worked for me.  It puts you in a stronger position when you are entering or in Botswana.

Offline Three Dawg

• Pack Dog
  • Foreign Dog
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 04:10:22 pm »
@Roadcat:  Pula don't seem to available at all here.  Even Namibian dollars are difficult- I guess because they're interchangable with ZARs.  Had no trouble getting them last time though... 

Basically, because it's all going to be a bit of a rush to get to the border (and therefore to our first stop in Bots)  in time, so I want to either get across with just Rands and then sort out Pula the following day, maybe in Sherwood, but if I can get them easily then I will.  Just in  case I get a grouchy border official (as if)

@Jimbo:  Thanks for the tip!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 04:12:44 pm »
@Roadcat:  Pula don't seem to available at all here.  Even Namibian dollars are difficult- I guess because they're interchangable with ZARs.  Had no trouble getting them last time though... 

Basically, because it's all going to be a bit of a rush to get to the border (and therefore to our first stop in Bots)  in time, so I want to either get across with just Rands and then sort out Pula the following day, maybe in Sherwood, but if I can get them easily then I will.  Just in  case I get a grouchy border official (as if)

@Jimbo:  Thanks for the tip!

Rands are fine, but yes they will rip you a bit on exchange rate 8)
Putting the Drunken Pagan Debauchery back into Christmas.

Offline lifeofgareth

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
    • Drug Addiction Treatment & Alcohol Rehab Centres
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 10:29:28 pm »
Love to see some of these pics Magnum.
Just come back from a ride there. Went through the pans. Some easy good riding but some sections of serious sand. 9 hours to do 130 km. All four riders fell of at least once. One mate on a 1200GS fell off 5 times and the last time the bike was terminal. Lucky I had my dad in my bakkie as a back up with a trailer. Can post a few pics if you are interested.
If you don't have a limp like a township dog - you're not doing it right. Go back & try again.
KTM 950 SE
website: http://WeDoRecover.com/rehab-facilities/rehab-sa.html

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 10:05:49 pm »
Paid in Rands at the border..small ripoff as you only need to pay some taxes.. do recall paing in the region of R125 vs say R90.. Drove to the nearest ATM and withdrew money there.
I used the same strategy in Zambia and Zimbabwe, however could not find a ATM at Kariba nearest was Chinhoyi. HAd to take some vaseline when paying with ZAR in Zimbabwe. At the time the official exchange rate was in the region of R6.50 / USD and theborderpost, fuelpumps, stores.. all used a conversion rate of R10 / USD  :dousing:

Anyway enjoy!!
Challenge = Innovation = Change

Offline Beltzer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 10:19:16 pm »
when you go to these countries the best is to have USD as they will give you a better exchange rate than what the back will give you (even without the extra admin fees), just look for someone scaly neanr the border and bargain with them, stay informed of the current exchange rate.
They LOVE USD!    ;D
Wolmerboom Suid

Offline Three Dawg

• Pack Dog
  • Foreign Dog
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 11:51:55 am »
Used Rands at the Martin's Drift border in the end.  Wasn't a huge amount and we got a multiple entry for the bike there so it was a one off fee.  Nearest we came to an upset was at the Zim border on a day trip to Vic falls.  They wanted $US55 each for our visas ($30US for the Germans we were travelling with, screw you Uncle Bob!) and we were a bit short.  Happily the Germans had plenty and were able to sub us until we got to an ATM.  Doh!