Parys De Aar Adventure Rally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalahariben

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Yep - it's happening for the 5th time :)

Herewith some details:

Day one – Thursday 12 July: Meet in Parys for preparation, kuier etc.
Day two – Friday 13 July:  Parys -> Warrenton (approx. 354km)
Day three – Saturday 14 July: Warrenton -> Orania (approx. 288km)
Day four – Sunday 15 July: Orania -> De Aar (approx. 306km)
Day five – Monday 16 July: De Aar -> home (some people might prefer to ride back in 2 days)

Price: R2500 per person (R2300 for pillions and persons from same family)

Price includes: camping accommodation, all meals (excl. lunch), back-up vehicles, back-up trailer, basic tools etc.

Some general notes to sketch the concept for the event:

o Amount of participants = approx. 25 (incl. motorcycles of all brands, as well as 4x4 vehicles)
o Approx. 90% of the distance between Parys and De Aar consists of fairly well-maintained gravel roads. Subsequently, the route is not technical, and is by default pillion-friendly. Note however that road conditions are dependent on weather conditions…
o Navigation is quite an important aspect to this trip: GPS tracks, maps (in PDF format) etc. will be provided – riding speed is subsequently dependant on each individual. If you do not own or use a GPS, you are welcome to ride with someone that does - a plan will always be made
o Participants are to be as self-sufficient as possible – i.e. carry own luggage etc.
o 2012 will be the 2nd year where the De la Rey trophy will be up for grabs. This trophy will be awarded to the person that completes the approx. 1100km between Parys and De Aar on the oldest / most interesting / most extreme motorcycle or vehicle. The challenge is on!
o I am not a professional tour organiser, so by implication a large amount of the adventure is based on improvisation – I like to think that this adds to the character of the trip, and certainly makes it a true adventure