KLE 500 Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakar wanabe

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLE 500
What exhaust works best with the KLE 500, I am in the process to do a DIY exhaust for my KLE. After some good research on Air Age, Arrow and Two Bros exhaust aswell as some other brands I decided to have a go. After all, on all of the above mentioned exhausts it looked simple enough, with a large diameter as a cannister and a smaller perforated inner pipe and some damping material wound around the inner pipe!

I measured my standard exhaust cannister and the inlet pipe to the cannister and started some calculations and lots of sleepless nights thinking it over and over again.

The stock exhaust is so restricted!!!! With a 40mm - 50mm inlet pipe the exhaust gases leaves with a little pipe of about 25/30mm!!

So, this is what I have end up doing so far. For some reason I can not post pictures, if anyone can help out it would be great  :ricky:

All of the parts I got from my work place off old antennae masts and other spare parts that was laying around.

1. 380mm (l) x 105mm (dia) ally pipe with a wall thickness of 3mm (roughly the same size as the standard canister)
2. 380mm (l) x 40mm (inner dia) ally pipe with a wall thickness of 4mm which was perforated (read drilled) with 5mm dia holes 10mm apart.
3. End caps is ally flanges which was machined to fit the canister and is hold in place with 6 allen cap screws 15mm x 5mm
4. There is also a disc welded on the outside of the inner pipe that fits inside the canister, this is to create 2 equal sized chambers, to aid with damping.

The inner is completly removable and can be replaced with a smaller or larger (doubtfull) diameter pipe. Exhaust packing or damping material can be bought at most motorcycle shops for around R180 - R220. I will wound stainless steel mesh wire (1mm x 1mm) around the inner pipe first then I would thightly wound the packing material around the pipe so it makes a snug fit on the inside of the cannister.

A carbon fiber canister is also on the cards once I have finished the ally one!

I still need to get to an exhaust shop to bend the pipe and to make a slip-on fitting. But I will keep this tread updated as I go along.

I will also fit a DNA air filter (did this today) and re-jet the carburators using 112 mainjets  ??? Any input will be considered.

I also toyed with the idea of having a twin exhaust on the KLE, which would have looked wicked  :thumleft: but, had put it on hold for now, as there would be some engineering done to the left passanger footrest bracket and also a bracket fabricated for the exhaust. Not to mention the piping and everything that goes with it. The header length of the exhaust are also not the same length on the KLE, this is also a restricting factor on these machines, the GPZ's and ER500's all have twin exhausts with equal header lengths.

By the way, thus far it have cost me R0, yes that is right NOTHING, except for time, which if you work for the Goverment, you have lots of!

Any info with regards to everything would be greatly appriciated!