Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: One Week, Your Bike, Where Would You Go?  (Read 470 times)

Offline acjeske

• Puppy
  • Bike: Honda CTX200
One Week, Your Bike, Where Would You Go?
« on: June 23, 2007, 07:37:28 pm »
Quote from: acjeske
Hey all.  Nice Forum.  Heard about you from someone over at Horizons Unlimited.  Glad I did.

My wife and I moved to KZN a year ago to do some volunteer work.  Shortly thereafter I got a Honda CTX200 Bushlander, the farm bike.  Fun stuff.

I haven't met any of y'all yet, but hope to.  You may have seen some stuff I've written in some of the bike mags around, not that I'm hot stuff or anything.  I'm just a guy who rides, thinks and tries to have as many amazing days as possible.

Question:  over the upcoming holidays, I may be able to steal a week away on the bike.  From the Central Drak, where would you go, riding some pretty serious miles and terrain?

I'm off now for a work trip, so keep the thread going.  I'll see y'all in a week.

Eager to hear from you,

Adam Jeske

Hey Folks.  I'm new around here. 

The deal:  I may have a free week all of the sudden over the holidays next month.  I have my bike (a Honda CTX200 farm bike) and live in the Central Drakensberg.  Given this (and that I don't want to spend much money, so backpackers or camping are it), where should I go?  Down to the Cape?  Or Karoo?  Try to get all the way up to Bots or Moz or Namib?  Into Zim and check that? 

I don't mind some pretty long days, and like nature.  I'm from the US and just starting to explore more. 

Oh, and do I need any special documents (e.g. a carnet) to ride into any of the countries bordering SA?

I'm out for the next week, so chime in and keep the thread live and I'll see you then.

Adam
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 07:07:36 am by shark_za »

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
Re: One Week, Your Bike, Where Would You Go?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 08:05:27 pm »
Stay away from Zim.....

If i had a week i would tour Lesoto..... but thats only because i've allready seen lots of South Africa.....
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 08:48:17 pm »
Try the 'spit' route, I heard about it the other day, a bit crude but effective.
Spit on your map, slap the spit, and follow the route the spit sprays. Your map will be stuffed by the time you get back, but I heard it works well.
Don't know what you would do if you only have a gps....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 05:50:11 am »
What dates exactly? Southern Cape?  ;D

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 09:16:43 am »
The nights are cold on the highveldt this time of the year.  The Western & Southern Cape are wet.  Go north young man; northern Kwazulu Natal, Swaziland (don't know whar documentation is required) and Mpumalaga lowveld.  On up into Limpopo.

Offline Doggone

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Fairlands, Johannesburg
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 10:06:07 am »
Limpopo or Mocambique will be the best bets this time of year.

Don't know what issues will be with an American passport and visa into mocambique as South Africans no longer require visas.  ;D ;D

For your bike you will require the original registration papers if in your name. If it is being financed, you will additionally require a bank letter authorising you to take the bike our of the country.

Enjoy it wherever you decide to go! ;D
"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the Courage to Continue that Counts"  Winston Churchill
Bike History: 1976 Yamaha Chappy-50cc; 1978 Yamaha RD50; 1979 Suzuki TS125; 1980 Suzuki GS 400; 27 years of bikelessness ; 2007 BMW R1200GS - 125 000 km's , 2017 BMW R1200GSA LC (Lowered)😁 WOW!

shark_za

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 05:07:24 pm »
Moz for the weather!

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1250 GSA
    • Country Trax
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 10:41:55 pm »
Lots to see close to where you are.  KZN and Lesotho can keep you riding for months!  PM me with contact details, maybe we can put together a ride....  ;)

Enjoy!
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....