Picked up the KLR yesterday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolf

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
So I collected the KLR from Fourways yesterday (was there at 7:45  ;D), even got her with a full tank. The very tight chain (had just over 1cm slack) bothered me but they were a bit reluctant to adjust it. When I got home I realised why because after just 30km the chain is now fine. Looks like it stretches quite a bit the first couple of kms.

Damm those tyres are slippery. First, I though my KLE is much more stable on the road than the KLR but of course the tyres need to bed-in first. Brakes are on par (if not slighty better) than the KLE. They should get a bit better with more mileage too. Did not realise the rear had a two pot caliper. Under hard braking there is a lot less nose dive than the previous KLR. The suspension is a lot firmer than the KLE and it feels a little bit firmer than the older KLR.

I've been instructed to keep it under 4000rpm for the first 800km (manual says under 4000rpm up to 800km and then under 6000rpm up to 1600km) but it's rather difficult especially in first gear that seems very short. 4000rpm in 5th gear is an indicated 110kph so I guess most on my break-in mileage will be done around town. Hoping to get the first 1000km out of the way as soon as possible. Think I will be doing a lot of riding next weekend  ;D

Excuse the crappy cellphone pic. Will take better ones soon.

Attachments

• IMAGE_00009.jpg
    IMAGE_00009.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 174