Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Napier Dirt run  (Read 1345 times)

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• Race Dog
    • http://tigerr.smugmug.com
Napier Dirt run
« on: March 27, 2006, 01:18:31 pm »
So Saturday comes along, and I have to meet at the Shell at the foot of Sir Lowry's, in order to meet up with famous John Kleyn on his 950 and the rest of whoever is going to be there.

I am saddled up by 810am, go throw some juice in, and literally 5 mins later, am off on the road with young 6foot4 Hilde on the back of my 950.

Settling into a nice trot, I tell her to lay down on my back and I make the KTM WideOpenThrottle in 5th. This on the highway to Sir Lowrys, and...... we managed to make 204km/h before the traffic pulled us back. More accurately, I chose to slow down cos the road was going round a bend and I thought, thats fast enough for a first try.

We made it from Bellville to Sir Lowrys in well under 20 minutes  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

As a result, we did some sight seeing, I threw some gas in and met up with the crew at the Shell. John Kleyn, 950 (removed every single piece of excess equipment he can to get weight down), Keith Whitmore (owner of the best ridden Dakar in the country, 60 something years old - what a rider, and Mel on his brand new 640KTM, and Dennis on his Honda Twin.

What a great group. We set off on unknown roads (to me) on dirt to Napier.

I will post pics later when I get them, but I managed to post my best speed on dirt with a pillion, 170km/h. Baie lekker.

I havent ridden with such a fast group of dirt riders in my life, and I chose to be sweeper because I didnt want the pressure of sliding around unknown corners at 140 plus. Not a chance.

SO I did it all at a more sedate pace of between 100-130, and even that was a bit tough, requiring lots of concentration and the extra control with Hilde on the back. Shes skinny as hell but cos of her height, shes an extra 70kg's of weight to control on the back, plus leverage.

No letting down of tyre pressures for these lads, we just rode. What a brilliant day, the most enjoyable high speed dirt I have had in ages.

ps: I also got to see a 4 wheeled 1000cctwin made in 1911 that is the only one of its kind left in the world, almost in mint condition. I hope to show a pic of that too. I can tell you something, that after 450 kays of riding fast, it was amazing to see a Dakar passing me on the way up Houhoek Pass at 145 on a tight bend. I quickly snapped out of my complacency, and stirred the 950 up to catch him and beat him, but man that 60 something year old man can ride a Dakar like no one else I have ever seen.

It must have been WOT the whole time, this group was fast.

Great spread of bikes, even better people to ride with, unbelievable day
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline Grootseun

Napier Dirt run
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 01:49:03 pm »
Nice one LITO Despite the lack of pics for now...

Looking forward to see them...

:wink:  :wink:

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Re: Napier Dirt run
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:53:02 pm »
Quote from: "LiveInTheOutdoors"
I will post pics later when I get them, but I managed to post my best speed on dirt with a pillion, 170km/h. Baie lekker.

Eish boet don't know who is more crazy you riding that fast on dirt or Hilda sitting on the back on dirt at that speed :D I don't even ride that fast alone on dirt, you okes would of left me standing :shock:

Looking forward to the pics 8)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Kev

Napier Dirt run
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:55:13 pm »
Hilde! Hilde! Hilde!  :D

Looking forward to the pics LITO. :)

Offline X Banana Boy

Napier Dirt run
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 06:36:17 pm »
cool write up.  Eish some lekker speeds. now you have us waitin for pics on 2 threads.  :(

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
Napier Dirt run
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 06:53:47 pm »
looks like a nice run there  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Napier Dirt run
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 08:51:47 pm »
I just have one thing to say:

:useless:
KTM 1190 ADV R
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline mango

Napier Dirt run
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 09:14:45 pm »
You hooligan  :twisted:

Looking forward to the pics....again..... :roll:

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
Napier Dirt run
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 09:25:05 am »
Hi ja LITO

Eks dom....but I like to learn..... :D  :D

Please explain whats the point riding 170km/h op 'n vreemde grondpad with a pillion on the backseat........
 :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

• Race Dog
Napier Dirt run
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 08:54:00 am »
Ama Ama

Whats the point of getting on your bike and riding anywhere?

If you have the answer to that, you have the answer to your question. Ja, jy is dom.

:D  :D  :D  :D

Anyhows. If you ride a KTM, without bullshit, you will understand why its fun. I am not knocking any brands, genuine. But if you get on this machine, offroad, its a totally different experience. Its unexplainable, you must try it.

Sorry guys, I am also waiting for pics, I am so frustrated relying on others. In their defence, two of the 4 other riders are in England and Switzerland on business this week, so I may have to wait. The other chap is pc challenged I am afraid.......... :-(  :cry:

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Ride to ride again
Napier Dirt run
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 03:33:19 pm »
Lito

Just asking and telling.
 :D  :D  :D  :D

I had first hand experience with one of the first LC8's in SA through the Richtersveld. I know what it is capable of. Its a very good and nice bike and I nearly bought one. I wil be the first one to say that ist a bit better than the 1200GS offroad. Its also my opinion that the GS, as a parcel, are better that the LC8. :shock:

When I get on my bike I ride to enjoy it but most important of all, I ride to ride again.
 :P

Over to you

shark_za

Napier Dirt run
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 03:55:20 pm »
Quote from: "Ama ride ride"

Please explain whats the point riding 170km/h op 'n vreemde grondpad with a pillion on the backseat........

For that gevoel in jou gat !!!

Offline Grootseun

Napier Dirt run
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 03:59:02 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"

For that gevoel in jou gat !!!

The one where you experience excrutiating pain and spit the dirt and dust from your bloody mouth after being winded and having to find out your precious baby has some vial parts missing and it's guts laying all over the dirt road..... :shock:  :shock:  :lol:

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1250 GSA
    • Country Trax
Napier Dirt run
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 04:01:35 pm »

I wil be the first one to say that ist a bit better than the 1200GS offroad. Its also my opinion that the GS, as a parcel, are better that the LC8.

It all depends on what is in the "parcel", and what you want to shake out of the parcel.  "Better" = "I like it more".  Personal choice is difficult to define - will always be grey.  Or is it Silver?  

Nice one LITO.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Leo

Napier Dirt run
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 04:24:20 pm »
... I ride to ride again.

AMEN!
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

• Race Dog
Napier Dirt run
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 03:45:16 pm »
Leo, you and Fun are guys I "know" over time, and I am thrilled that as BMW dudes you dont have your heads up your arse and got it all cocked up and have a mightier than thou image problem.

I think you guys rock.

Ama, never met you, think your viewpoint kicks as. As does Grootseun.

Really thrilled about that, I think I used to feel a bit superior too when I rode a BMW, but that was my small dick speaking. Sorry bout that.

Riding for me is a thrill which I MUST do safely. If its not safe, I dont have a good time. If I dont have a good time........

So my choice to ride at 170 (will go faster next time as I have now ridden that road once), was based on safety considered first, speed and jol second.

The 204KM/H on tar was WAY more dangerous, no one has uttered a peep.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Ride to ride again
Napier Dirt run
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 08:08:53 am »
Quote from: "LiveInTheOutdoors"The 204KM/H on tar was WAY more dangerous, no one has uttered a peep.[/quote

LITO......170km/h on virgin dirt equals round 300km/h on tar...So 204km/h on tar is really no big deal and its not the first time you rode the N2....Just saying bro just saying....

Maybe I sound a bit like a hoenderhen covering for her kuikens....

• Race Dog
Napier Dirt run
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 09:57:49 pm »
hmmmm. Doesnt that mean you want to cover me with wings? you dont have man breasts do you?  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Thanks for you concern mate, appreciate it. I will do it again of course, because having come off at around 100 on dirt, it hurt like hell, and did damage, but tar rips into you, wheres dirt can be a little more forgiving.

Except them stones and rocks and signposts and trees and and and and  :roll: