Watch this space....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ou Ryperd

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
:shock: :shock: :shock:

We all know a horse (a living real horse LITO, not my other nick :wink: ). If a horse skrik, it farts, and when it farts it skrik... bad circle.

On Saturday I behaved like a horse, with small diff... I skriked, and grabbed the front brake. Wheel slide, ek skrik more, grab harder... oooooo fooooooook!!! Whipe-out!!!

This happened on our ride on Saturday (yeah, the one Zonkel kakked in his pants for :twisted: )

We left Touratech's office at 06:00 heading towards the Rose garage on the N4. We were Stephen (1150 Adv), Johan (950 Adv), Darryl (1200) and myself (1200). We will meet Eugene (1150 GS) at the garage. Darryl had a blank cockpit, thus he cant see how much petrol he had... well not enough and about 1km before 1st toll gate on N4 he ran out of gas. Me being the sweeper and with tow rope had to stop and tow him to the garage... not so bad.

From the garage we headed to Roger's farm close to Arnot power station. He used his dad's 1200 for the day. From the farm we headed along dirt towards Dullstroom to fill up with petrol. Then we headed towards Lydenburg and onto Long Tom. But before we got there, Stephen's sidewall puncture blew the plug out and needed attention. 4 plugs later he was on the road again. We were supposed to meet Dept of Forests ( :? ) to unlock the gate for us that would give us access to the old koets pad down Long Tom, but we were late. Plan B: Leatherman x 2, loosen the wires, push bikes through to prevent wire being caught, fix wire and off we went.

Down the old pass was AWESOME!!!! A narrow path with cliff face right and afgrond links. The mist was rising, and we couldn't see down below. The rocky surface was slippery form the moist - made for interesting riding. 8)

After the decent we rode through plantations and entered Sabie for lunch. At this time we were far behind schedule due to Stephen's puncture, locked gate, slippery roads that we had to eat fast and chew on the road. :oops:

From Sabie we headed towards Graskop on tar, but about 10km out of Sabie we turned right onto dirt. Diep spoelslote, klippe, knoppe.... not a nice road. Then disaster struck..... Roger lost the bolt that holds his swing-arm in place. The drive-shaft came loose, and stripped. We could not fix it :( Stephen towed him back to the Wimpy in Sabie. We parked the bike, called BM on Call, and left it there for them to collect. We rode off again, with Roger as Stephen's pillion. Same road. What a kak road!

Second disaster. MINE!!!! Came over a hill and saw that Darryl in front of me slowed down and was about 10m closer than before we crest the hill. Ek skrik, gryp voorbriek, skirk weer, gryp harder... en kaplaks!!!

After the dust settled I stood up. No real damage to rider, only lammie on ass and on chest. The bike... rear flicker lens kapoet, crash-bars did their job excellent.. not a scratch on the cylynder head, but my head light unit's glass was broken. :cry: :cry: R3011 to replace, excl labour :evil: :( :cry:

I dusted myself off, and got back onto the bike. But by now we were out of time and when we reached the tar, we headed towards Graskop, Pilgrims, Lydenburg, Belfast and back home at 20:00. We stopped for fuel and coffee at Roger's place.

We rode those passes like demons, and I must confess... TKC 80's are great on and off the tar.

We did 820km for the day. Was a great day, part from the fall and other mishaps.

Will try and post pictures later. I forgot the camera at home this morning. :oops: