Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Watch this space....  (Read 1593 times)

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
Watch this space....
« on: March 27, 2006, 01:28:57 pm »
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

We all know a horse (a living real horse LITO, not my other nick :wink: ). If a horse skrik, it farts, and when it farts it skrik... bad circle.

On Saturday I behaved like a horse, with small diff... I skriked, and grabbed the front brake. Wheel slide, ek skrik more, grab harder... oooooo fooooooook!!! Whipe-out!!!

This happened on our ride on Saturday (yeah, the one Zonkel kakked in his pants for :twisted: )

We left Touratech's office at 06:00 heading towards the Rose garage on the N4. We were Stephen (1150 Adv), Johan (950 Adv), Darryl (1200) and myself (1200). We will meet Eugene (1150 GS) at the garage.  Darryl had a blank cockpit, thus he cant see how much petrol he had... well not enough and about 1km before 1st toll gate on N4 he ran out of gas. Me being the sweeper and with tow rope had to stop and tow him to the garage... not so bad.

From the garage we headed to Roger's farm close to Arnot power station. He used his dad's 1200 for the day. From the farm we headed along dirt towards Dullstroom to fill up with petrol. Then we headed towards Lydenburg and onto Long Tom. But before we got there, Stephen's sidewall puncture blew the plug out and needed attention. 4 plugs later he was on the road again.  We were supposed to meet Dept of Forests ( :? ) to unlock the gate for us that would give us access to the old koets pad down Long Tom, but we were late. Plan B: Leatherman x 2, loosen the wires, push bikes through to prevent wire being caught, fix wire and off we went.

Down the old pass was AWESOME!!!! A narrow path with cliff face right and afgrond links. The mist was rising, and we couldn't see down below. The rocky surface was slippery form the moist - made for interesting riding.  8)

After the decent we rode through plantations and entered Sabie for lunch. At this time we were far behind schedule due to Stephen's puncture, locked gate, slippery roads that we had to eat fast and chew on the road.  :oops:

From Sabie we headed towards Graskop on tar, but about 10km out of Sabie we turned right onto dirt. Diep spoelslote, klippe, knoppe.... not a nice road. Then disaster struck..... Roger lost the bolt that holds his swing-arm in place. The drive-shaft came loose, and stripped. We could not fix it  :( Stephen towed him back to the Wimpy in Sabie. We parked the bike, called BM on Call, and left it there for them to collect.  We rode off again, with Roger as Stephen's pillion. Same road. What a kak road!

Second disaster. MINE!!!!  Came over a hill and saw that Darryl in front of me slowed down and was about 10m closer than before we crest the hill. Ek skrik, gryp voorbriek, skirk weer, gryp harder... en kaplaks!!!

After the dust settled I stood up. No real damage to rider, only lammie on ass and on chest. The bike... rear flicker lens kapoet, crash-bars did their job excellent.. not a scratch on the cylynder head, but my head light unit's glass was broken.  :cry:  :cry: R3011 to replace, excl labour  :evil:  :(  :cry:

I dusted myself off, and got back onto the bike. But by now we were out of time and when we reached the tar, we headed towards Graskop, Pilgrims, Lydenburg, Belfast and back home at 20:00. We stopped for fuel and coffee at Roger's place.

We rode those passes like demons, and I must confess... TKC 80's are great on and off the tar.

We did 820km for the day. Was a great day, part from the fall and other mishaps.

Will try and post pictures later. I forgot the camera at home this morning.  :oops:

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
Watch this space....
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »
Hoezit Horse. Lekker to get going. Damn those BMW's give kak hey? hehe. So listen mate, i wanna see pics, and dont worry bout your pride being hurt. We all fall, even if its for better reasons than too much front linked brake pulling. :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Ouch, expensive headlight fix. Insurance?

love to see pics, there is no such thing as a bad road, and you know that TKC's are truly unbelievable tyres, great for the GS, wonderful.

Now, show us pics
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Watch this space....
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:58:08 pm »
Sounds like interesting riding blah blah, pity about the damage though. Is it the headligh lenses that broke? Not cheap to replace, will ask a mate of mine as he is stripping his 1150 of all standard stuff. He might have some stuff he will sell. Post a pic of the broken parts 8)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Watch this space....
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 03:35:26 pm »
Nice one BLA....

:useless:
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Ned_da_biker

Watch this space....
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 04:07:26 pm »
Ek sekondeer!!!
ome mistakes are too much fun to only make once. :-)

shark_za

Watch this space....
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 04:09:46 pm »
Seems a tow rope must be standard issue on a BMW these days...

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Watch this space....
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 04:22:48 pm »
Quote from: "Maverick"
Sounds like interesting riding blah blah, pity about the damage though. Is it the headligh lenses that broke? Not cheap to replace, will ask a mate of mine as he is stripping his 1150 of all standard stuff. He might have some stuff he will sell. Post a pic of the broken parts 8)

Nah, BBS runs a 1200, but I might be interested, which model etc?

Welshie  8)

I still have the 'Hot Pink' pants, but I don't wear them any more since them 'Cowboys' came out of the closet.
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
Watch this space....
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 05:23:08 pm »
Quote from: "Welshman"

Nah, BBS runs a 1200, but I might be interested, which model etc?

Welshie  8)

Ahhh ok that won't help him then will it. I think it is a 2001 model. He is stripping it down and rebuilding a KTM lookalike with it. Will speak to him later in the week as they just had a baby girl over the weekend so the man is probably "busy" :D
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
Watch this space....
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 06:09:02 pm »
nice one blabla... pity about the lack of pics :lol:
now tell me honestly....
did the training course with countrytrax help at all?????

oh, and you mentioned the horse skriks, poeps, then skriks even more.
when did you poep in your pants? after the first brake, second brake, or the fall?
  :fart:

Offline mango

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
Watch this space....
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 08:06:23 pm »
Moenie poep nie lovey  :roll:

At least you had fun.....I think......and looking forward
to those pics....always easy to laugh at others mishaps  :lol:

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
Watch this space....
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 02:50:42 pm »
Nice photo's BBBS, this one sort of caught my attention with the nice green and feeling of being in deepest Africa somewhere 8)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
Watch this space....
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 04:15:03 pm »
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I'm doing Mpumalanga soon. Hopefully my DRZ will comes back in one piece, what an I saying offcourse it will !
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Beware the 250 roost !
Watch this space....
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 09:07:13 pm »
="bla-bla black sheep
 :D Ou grootbek  :D You must try and go up through the forests... it was beautiful!

I will .... on my back wheel  :D  :D  :D If my bike was any heavier I would have gone down on a number of occasions. I'll say it again my bike makes up for my lack of riding skills  :wink: Bla bla have you ridden the dirtroads between Dullstroom and Lydenburg ? I'd like to do that sometime soon.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline X Banana Boy

Watch this space....
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 09:25:13 pm »
keep em peeled and were are the pics  :D

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
Watch this space....
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 10:27:31 pm »
Quote from: "X Banana Boy"

i also didnt see this at first, but here is his link

baaaaaaaaa

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Watch this space....
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 12:23:58 am »
Nice pics BLA

See you getting real lazy in your old age and not posting a story for each pic.......... Where's the dedication gone???
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline X Banana Boy

Watch this space....
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 05:20:17 am »
Quote from: "macduff"
Quote from: "X Banana Boy"

i also didnt see this at first, but here is his link

baaaaaaaaa

thanks.  oops, silly me, I was looking for actually pics.  :?

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Watch this space....
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 08:39:54 am »
Nice trip there Bla. Seems that all types off road sufaces and conditions were naviagted!  :P  8)  Must have kept one on one toes the whole time and must have been a strain on the concentration levels.

Bad luck on the damage. :(
He who angers you, controls you.