Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Husqvarna WR250 - my findings...  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Berm_Rooster

• is childish hooligan, not a
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Mossel Bay every other 6 weeks
Husqvarna WR250 - my findings...
« on: October 20, 2011, 04:26:16 pm »
Short History
I bought this bike some 4 or 5 months ago on the forum. Previous owner meticulously looked after the bike, putting stickers to protect, washing and oiling everything after every ride to the point that when I bought it, it was practically brand new. Only had 13 hours on the counter. It is a 2008 spec bike, but was newly bought in 2010 only and sold less than a year later to me.

What it actually is
250cc two-stroke racing engine. WR suggests that the bike should have a larger than normal fuel tank, weighted flywheel, wide ratio gears, softer suspension setup and some lighting. Husqvarna stopped making the CR250 (which would be the close ratio motocross version) in 2003ish (from what I could gather), so I dont have anything to compare specs with.
Power is "boosted" with a powervalve as 2t motors of late are. I dont particularly fancy it, because it is just one more thing that can break, but since I cant take it off, I'll just have to keep riding and see.
As most Enduro bikes, it comes with a headlight (good enough only read the back of a chappy paper until you get a head ache) and tail light. In addition, it comes with extra parts and wiring to fit indicator lights (the actual lights and controls you have to supply yourself). It also comes with a "road legal" expansion chamber (the big fat front half of the exhaust system) with some sort of an oil draining mechanism.
The carb also comes with a "racing" and "road" needle and main jet.
So if you put the indicators, pipe and carb bits on, you can actually get it through a road test and register it for legal road use. I haven't gotten around to that yet.

On the track
Before we go any further, I have to mention that I haven't been on a MX track in more than 12 years. I've gotten old, fat and unfit.
The bike handled well. I had no problems with steering and balance, assumably because the chassis setup for MX and Enduro is the same? I dont know. It is light as a feather, I cant imagine that its closest MX competition will have more than 5 kg on it (but then this Husky is NOT an MX bike)
Power is plentiful, but I found that I struggled to get in the right gear on a number of occasions (be it from my rusty skills or the WR gearbox, I dont know).
I didnt fiddle much with the suspension. It worked as it was set up by the previous owner. Soft. Soaked up everything when I short- or overjumped.

In the veld
This is where this bike shows why it exists! WOW! You really have to hold on. Waterholes and obstacles are overcome with a blip of the throttle (but make sure you dont overcook it). Again, the suspension just soaks up everything as it glides over bumps and rocks.
I topped it out on 127km/h. I wouldnt hold it there as I have a bad case of mechanical sympathy, and I dont think 2t motors are made to be held wide open for more than a couple of seconds.

What I dont like about this bike
Uhm...... it threw me off on the tar in front of my house one day. It wouldnt start until I remembered to remove the waterplug in the exhaust. Both these things I was responsible for. :BangHead:
The only thing that scares me is parts. Only available form Primrose in Gauteng I believe. But I have been told that the service is quite good. I'll wait and see when I need something...

If I could go back in time and have the money in my hand...
I would buy it again!

Enjoy!

Offline S - 4 - B

• Fulltime MotardNut
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • I can't say no to Italian Hussies....
Re: Husqvarna WR250 - my findings...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 04:35:56 pm »
Thank you kind sir !!!

Now which one of you fine gentlemen have one of these lying around , and wish to part with it ?

Guarytuckingfeed it will be loved and RIDDEN  :mwink:
Don't blame me for the name ....I was bullied into into it by J-Dog.....
"Change your name or ride a KTM"  he said , I changed my name !!!!

Hooligan Tools - Triumph Street Triple                                                                           Beta Evo 250 Trials

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 04:50:04 pm »
 :thumleft: Thank you Berm Rooster for a great write-up!!! That's about almost exactely precisely how I feel about my 610 - off course in a DS/Adv environment !!! Such a shame and pity that up to now, Husky's has never been marketed nearly properly enough in this country!!!
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline Firesquirrel

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 04:53:26 pm »
Jis Bermie...... alweer met die voorwiel in 'n gat ?
Current Bikes :  KTM 690

Offline Berm_Rooster

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 05:47:31 pm »
Jis Bermie...... alweer met die voorwiel in 'n gat ?

So loop hy maar :mwink:

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 06:09:38 pm »
There is nothing like a 2t 250 whatever make it is; perhaps a 2t 300. I love my Honda CR250R, just a pity Honda stopped making them.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 06:14:22 pm »

The only thing that scares me is parts. Only available form Primrose in Gauteng I believe. But I have been told that the service is quite good. I'll wait and see when I need something...
[/quote]

I have ordered parts for my 610 from Primrose and the service was great. I also found the price of the parts to be very reasonable even with the courier fee. All the parts I have ordered lately for my Honda and Kawasaki also have to come from JHB so no real difference.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Berm_Rooster

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 09:34:38 pm »
I have ordered parts for my 610 from Primrose and the service was great. I also found the price of the parts to be very reasonable even with the courier fee. All the parts I have ordered lately for my Honda and Kawasaki also have to come from JHB so no real difference.

Well, that is good to hear. I'll be sure to check them out.
Thanks

Offline Firesquirrel

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:00:11 pm »
PM vir Blazes in die verband... hy het 4 of 5 Huskys en ek weet een is nog in 'n krat.  Hy sal jou 'n 100% antwoord kan gee oor parte se beskikbaarheid en ook hoe om te order en in die hande te kry........ dalk weet hy ook meer oor die Primrose manne en hoe jy met hulle moet skakel.
Current Bikes :  KTM 690

Offline Dux

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 02:16:04 pm »
Quote : Power is "boosted" with a powervalve as 2t motors of late are. I dont particularly fancy it, because it is just one more thing that can break, but since I cant take it off, I'll just have to keep riding and see.

When you refer to boosting power the power valves it is not physical peak or maximum horsepower that is boosted , but rather the bottom end power is improved while still having respectable top end power , but don't worry about power valve failures , these tend to be rather rare nowdays , the only thing I have found is power valve timing set up incorrectly which can have a drastic effect on performance .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Berm_Rooster

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 03:13:53 pm »
Quote : Power is "boosted" with a powervalve as 2t motors of late are. I dont particularly fancy it, because it is just one more thing that can break, but since I cant take it off, I'll just have to keep riding and see.

When you refer to boosting power the power valves it is not physical peak or maximum horsepower that is boosted , but rather the bottom end power is improved while still having respectable top end power , but don't worry about power valve failures , these tend to be rather rare nowdays , the only thing I have found is power valve timing set up incorrectly which can have a drastic effect on performance .

For want of better knowledge and because I have yet to learn all the intricate details of a powervalve, I used a stupid word like that. :BangHead:

Thanks for putting me at ease and telling us what it actually does, Dux. :thumleft:

So folks, dont not buy a new-age 2t bike because of this.... :mwink:

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 03:21:02 pm »
I have a WR 250 2t 2003 model and also love it !!

Offline Berm_Rooster

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 04:49:56 pm »
I have a WR 250 2t 2003 model and also love it !!

Great. :thumleft:

Wanna share some more?
KM/hrs?
Work done?
Cost?
What would you change if you could?

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 05:00:58 pm »
Many Hours!

Rebuilt the motor about 5 hours ago.

It shares a piston with one of the Honda CR 250's.

Next rebuild it will become a 300 as the piston is identical to one of the  300 KTM's. Only smaller  ;)

Electric start would be a treat though !!

Offline Berm_Rooster

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 09:55:17 am »

It shares a piston with one of the Honda CR 250's.

Next rebuild it will become a 300 as the piston is identical to one of the  300 KTM's. Only smaller  ;)

Interesting! If you have any more details, please share!

Are you rebuilding yourself? Or at a shop?

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 12:24:35 pm »
Me, myself and I  :)

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 08:30:04 pm »
Me, myself and I  :)

Hi D-- ;)

Many of the 250 Huskies 2smokes only need the top end changed and wallah --you have a 300 freeking awesome machine  ::)
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 10:13:38 am »
Thats correct only the bore differs. Stroke is the same.

Offline Damduiker

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 09:18:58 am »
I am glad that bermie is happy with that bike, because I would have felt super bad if he wasn't.
When in doubt pin it

Offline Berm_Rooster

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 10:17:33 pm »
Wel, eks bly jyt gaan kyk vir my, anders sou ek onseker gewees het oor die koop. Ek skuld jou nog n bier. Thanks, M! :thumleft: