Husqvarna WR250 - my findings...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berm_Rooster

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Short History
I bought this bike some 4 or 5 months ago on the forum. Previous owner meticulously looked after the bike, putting stickers to protect, washing and oiling everything after every ride to the point that when I bought it, it was practically brand new. Only had 13 hours on the counter. It is a 2008 spec bike, but was newly bought in 2010 only and sold less than a year later to me.

What it actually is
250cc two-stroke racing engine. WR suggests that the bike should have a larger than normal fuel tank, weighted flywheel, wide ratio gears, softer suspension setup and some lighting. Husqvarna stopped making the CR250 (which would be the close ratio motocross version) in 2003ish (from what I could gather), so I dont have anything to compare specs with.
Power is "boosted" with a powervalve as 2t motors of late are. I dont particularly fancy it, because it is just one more thing that can break, but since I cant take it off, I'll just have to keep riding and see.
As most Enduro bikes, it comes with a headlight (good enough only read the back of a chappy paper until you get a head ache) and tail light. In addition, it comes with extra parts and wiring to fit indicator lights (the actual lights and controls you have to supply yourself). It also comes with a "road legal" expansion chamber (the big fat front half of the exhaust system) with some sort of an oil draining mechanism.
The carb also comes with a "racing" and "road" needle and main jet.
So if you put the indicators, pipe and carb bits on, you can actually get it through a road test and register it for legal road use. I haven't gotten around to that yet.

On the track
Before we go any further, I have to mention that I haven't been on a MX track in more than 12 years. I've gotten old, fat and unfit.
The bike handled well. I had no problems with steering and balance, assumably because the chassis setup for MX and Enduro is the same? I dont know. It is light as a feather, I cant imagine that its closest MX competition will have more than 5 kg on it (but then this Husky is NOT an MX bike)
Power is plentiful, but I found that I struggled to get in the right gear on a number of occasions (be it from my rusty skills or the WR gearbox, I dont know).
I didnt fiddle much with the suspension. It worked as it was set up by the previous owner. Soft. Soaked up everything when I short- or overjumped.

In the veld
This is where this bike shows why it exists! WOW! You really have to hold on. Waterholes and obstacles are overcome with a blip of the throttle (but make sure you dont overcook it). Again, the suspension just soaks up everything as it glides over bumps and rocks.
I topped it out on 127km/h. I wouldnt hold it there as I have a bad case of mechanical sympathy, and I dont think 2t motors are made to be held wide open for more than a couple of seconds.

What I dont like about this bike
Uhm...... it threw me off on the tar in front of my house one day. It wouldnt start until I remembered to remove the waterplug in the exhaust. Both these things I was responsible for. :BangHead:
The only thing that scares me is parts. Only available form Primrose in Gauteng I believe. But I have been told that the service is quite good. I'll wait and see when I need something...

If I could go back in time and have the money in my hand...
I would buy it again!

Enjoy!

MXPrac2.jpg

MXPrac7.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg