Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Solo through Lesotho - Sani Pass  (Read 3662 times)

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
Solo through Lesotho - Sani Pass
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:05:55 pm »
1) Introduction:
Lesotho has always appealed to me as a destination to travel through, to be honest itís something Iíve been mulling over for awhile now, the thought of riding solo through Sani Pass on my KLR would make me feel, somehow, as if I have earned my biking stripes. While sitting at work one day struggling through email after email, frustration setting in I had the idea of packing my bike and just driving through Lesotho, so I stood up,  completed  my leave form and handed it in, got home told my wife what I was doing and started prepping for my ride. My only rule was that I wouldnít do too much planning, I had 3 days and would put no time constraints on the journey.  I will try put in as much detail as I can remember about the route because I think a short trip like this might appeal to the fathers and family men out there who want to explore a bit of the world but who also donít want to be away from the wife and kids for too long. I know I donít like been away from my girls but I also enjoy the alone time a few days on the bike gives me. What I really enjoyed about this trip is it is a bit technical, a bit scary when you realise you are all alone for kilometres, no cell phone reception but at all times I was surrounded by absolute beautiful scenery. Lesotho really is something special when explored from the top of a motorcycle. I will be going back and doing the exact same trip, this time I will camp in the middle of the pass.

Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
Re: Solo through Lesotho - Sani Pass
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:08:50 pm »
2)Lesotho
 Capital: Maseru
Population: 2 Million
Language: English / Sotho
Best Time to Visit: Aug Ė Oct and Feb Ė April
Visas: Not required by UK, IRE, US, CAN, AUS, NZ and SA nationals.

3)The Green Machine
I did this trip on my beloved, trusty,2010 KLR650. I can honestly tell you that if you are unsure about buying a touring bike or you are not in a position to go splash out 100k on a GS then settling on the KLR will not leave you disappointed. This dual purpose, single cylinder, water cooled engine has a never say die attitude and for once disproves the theory ďGoed koop is duer koopĒ this  little motorcycle will take you anywhere and then further. I love my KLR and every trip I do on her makes me love her more.
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline See Duiwel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Passop voor!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:13:35 pm »
Cant wait for the rest, we also just came back from a trip there, did a bit of a different route than you. You first, mine will follow in 2 weeks time. First have to get all the comrades together to share foto's
A car window is just a TV screen

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 12:13:51 pm »
NIce!  :thumleft:
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 12:14:47 pm »
4)   Day One Ė Johannesburg to Fouriesburg
I woke up on Monday with major flu, it eventually turned into some sort of chest infection. So when I  woke up on Wednesday morning sounding like a croaking frog I gave some serious thought to aborting the trip and staying home and spending my day sleeping on the coach.
What!! Spend my leave day on a coach feeling sorry for myself? Julle ken my nie  so I loaded my bike, warmed her up and left Joburg around 9am.
My route would be as follows: N3 towards Durbs , Got off at Villiers and went Frankfort, Tweeling, Rietz, Bohlokong, Bethlehem and over knighted in Fouriesburg at the Fouriesburg Country Inn. I arrived quit quickly in Fouriesburg and actually regretted not stopping abit more to take some photos, the route I went through consisted mostly of farming areas but I did pass a few nice spots that I could have taken a few pictures of, I think the snotty nose, sore chest and coughing in my helmet put me off a bit. Once I booked into the Inn I spent some of the afternoon riding around this very small dorpie  and tried to work out which direction the Caledonpoort border post was. I then settled on some meds and had a nice afternoon kip. I woke around 6pm and went to the pub and ordered a couple of beers and had a awesome pepper steak grilled to perfection. I spent my evening talking to ďBobĒ who was at the bar, he didnít have much to say but tended to agree with my line of thinking that going through Lesotho solo wasnít such a bad idea and if you had to wait for your friends to decide to buy KLRís you will proberly be waiting a very long time, he also agreed that experience was highly over rated and the only way to truly experience something is just to climb on your bike and let the dice fall as they please. I liked Bob, he seemed to like me.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:16:14 pm »
Fouriesburg

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 12:21:01 pm »
Day Two
So the morning finally arrived. The start of my first real adventure. I woke up early and packed my bike. I read my bible and had a nice cup of black coffee, my chest was very tight and I could hardly speak but at least my nose was no longer running. I went to the entrance of the inn to check out and found out they only opened at 6am. I went back at 6 and found out they forgot to make me a travelling breakfast. Oh well, food would have to wait. I started the KLR and headed to Caledonspoort border. I must comment that I think South African officials are useless, I got to the border and waited at the checking window for over 20 minutes, I was the only person there and had to wait for my border officials to finish having their coffee and finish their important early morning banter session, I just struggle to understand how people can see you standing there and just ignore you. Anyway they stamped me out, the Lesotho side was quick and efficient, I completed my forms, got my entry stamp, paid my R30.00 and was through in 10 minutes. They didnít ask to see any insurance or bank forms. I was in Lesotho and heading towards Sani Pass. Whoo hoo!!
As you enter Buthe-Buthe you will see a lot of trading stalls on your left and right side (African style), at the T-Junction there is an Engen petrol station on your left and an Excel petrol station on your right side further up, so you can fill up here. The roads are busy in the morning with kids going to school and taxis doing their usual kamikaze runs. I had a taxi overtake a car and almost hit me head on. The school kids were cool and would wave as I rode past them and some youngsters would run alongside the bike . Just watch those taxis.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 12:21:53 pm »
Buthe Buthe

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 12:24:22 pm »
I then travelled through, Qalo, Khukhune and Muela. The roads are amazing, they just go up and up into the sky, snaking, turning, twisting. The KLR was loving it and my Airage pipe was ripping and roaring as I played with the throttle. The morning air was a bit nippy but I was enjoying the twisty roads to much to take much notice of the chill. One word of caution when going up and down twisty roads in Lesotho is keep left, I often found that cagers miss judge the bends and tend to take up both lanes in order to make the turns. Because of the remoteness of the places they seem to forget that there might be a car coming in the opposite direction. Perhaps they donít forget, perhaps they just donít care Ė anyway keep left.

At Moteng Pass my stomach and I were having a very serious conversation, I tended to agree with what the stomach was telling me and took very serious points from the debate we were having. I would have to find a place to eat real soon.  I turned a corner and found the very famous Oxbow lodge, my stomach immediately pulled my attention to a sign that read ďBreakfast, Lunch and Supper Served EverydayĒ. So I pulled into the lodge, and made my way to the pub. I asked the lady behind the bar if they were serving breakfast and she said they were but I was early and would need to wait a few minutes. I enquired how much it cost and when I heard the answer I had to ask her to repeat herself because I was still suffering with some earache from my flu. R101.00 was her reply, I thought that was what she said but just had to hear it again to make sure. R101.00 for a breakfast!?! My stomach immediately took over this discussion and I suddenly found my hand in my pocket taking out my wallet and paying for this breakfast. While paying I thought she mistakenly assumed I rode in on a GS and I tried explaining to her that I was on a KLR so that automatically reduces the breakfast price and I should in fact only been paying R50.50. She looked at the Arai helmet and just shook her head...oh well! Here are the photos of what a R101.00 Lesotho breakfast looks like.

When I left Oxbow the fun really started, the lovely roads I had experienced getting there suddenly vanished. I noticed a quick deterioration in the road, it started with cracks, pot holes and suddenly the road just ended.  Aarg! I donít mind dirt roads, Iím rather confident on them, but the road after Oxbow had millions of little stones scattered all over the road. I honestly donít know how to ride through these stones. If I go slow I end up slipping and sliding all over the place. The front wheel goes left, the back right and you continue travelling in whatever direction the bike decides to throw you. If you go fast you tend to hit a wobble and the bike just goes all over the place. I eventually ended up riding at a steady pace and just accelerating out of any problems I had. I didnít fall but I came close a good couple of times.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 12:27:02 pm »
Oxbow Lodge and a breakfast cost me R101.00  :deal:

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 12:31:33 pm »
When I left Oxbow the fun really started, the lovely roads I had experienced getting there suddenly vanished. I noticed a quick deterioration in the road, it started with cracks, pot holes and suddenly the road just ended.  Aarg! I donít mind dirt roads, Iím rather confident on them, but the road after Oxbow had millions of little stones scattered all over the road. I honestly donít know how to ride through these stones. If I go slow I end up slipping and sliding all over the place. The front wheel goes left, the back right and you continue travelling in whatever direction the bike decides to throw you. If you go fast you tend to hit a wobble and the bike just goes all over the place. I eventually ended up riding at a steady pace and just accelerating out of any problems I had. I didnít fall but I came close a good couple of times.

Struggling through these bad roads, tiny stones and huge potholes I was so pleased to eventually reach Tlaeeng Pass. Sitting at 3270m above sea level this is the highest motorable pass in Africa, I was well please with myself because this was one of the highlights of my trip when I was doing my planning. I was so happy that I was there and I parked my bike, took a photo, had a drink of water to celebrate my mini achievement.

The road from here just seemed to get worse and worse. There is no road just massive holes in the ground and these stupid deadly, slippery stones that are all over the place. There are sporadic pieces of tar that are around 20 meters long. They give you a little bit of hope, then crash your spirits back to earth and disappear only to reappear, make you happy, then disappear again. I just maintained my speed and held on, every time I felt as if I was losing control of the bike I just opened the accelerator and pulled myself out of the problem.  I had about 40km to go to Mapholaneng where I knew the road improved and would just have to try stay on the bike, 40km just seemed so far...

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 12:37:05 pm »
Sani Pass
I filled the bike in Buthe-Buthe and enjoyed the tar roads up the mountain side. The views were amazing, Lesotho really just seems to have a view on top of a view. As you think you have seen a lovely piece of the country you turn a corner and want to stop again just to look at the rolling hills and mountains. I really want to invest in a helmet camera for these types of rides, photos just donít do the country side justice and stopping every time you see a lovely sight is just a pain.
I finally reached the road that leads to Sani Pass. I had already done so much dirt and pot holes I was really up for the challenge that the Pass would give me. I stopped my bike at the sign board, took a few photos and hopped back on the bike and headed for the highest pub in Africa. Whoo hoo! Hier kom die Hansa.

The dirt road starts about 200m after taking the turn off (see above sign board). Itís your typical rural dirt road with no real challenges. There are a few small villages along the way with some more interesting views. After a few kilometres I stopped next to a lady selling Lesotho grass hats and other memorabilia. I bought two hats for my girls back home, the lady selling them first asked for R100 a hat, when she saw I wasnít going to pay that I got them both for R100. As soon as you leave her the actual pass to Sani begins. I must be honest it was the toughest 80 kilometres I have ever ridden. It wasnít so much that the road was too technical, It was just the eerie feeling of been completely alone. I will also admit to been a bit thrown off when I realised I had no cell phone signal.
I always thought I understood what a ďPassĒ was, however it actually dawned on me while riding that a pass is the middle bit between two big mountains. I felt like a cowboy riding through Indian territory, I was just waiting to hear shots been fired from way up in the mountains. Itís actually amazing what goes through your head when you ride a bike, I now blame it on too much telly and the hot sun.
The pass is alot of fun. It is full of stones, rocks, falling rocks, dirt, streams. You go up down, up down, up down. As I said there is no cell phone reception so if you fall here and hurt yourself you will be in a bit of trouble. There is a bit about 30km from the Sani Chalets where you find yourself on a downhill, this decline is steep and the road is really bad and you bang your front wheel against rocks the size of the moon. Even if you avoid one rock in front of you there are ten to the left and 5 to the right. My poor KLR took a beating down this little road. When I reached the bottom of this road I had to pull over and rest, I was tired and the decline took alot out of me mentally. I switched off the KLR and sat down on the side of the road. It was the strangest feeling ever, complete silence.
I donít think I have ever had complete silence in my life before. I looked around and saw no one, saw nothing and heard nothing. I took a few sips of water and thought to myself ďwow, this is amazing, sure as hell beats sitting at work answering questions on the bottom line...Ē I then had a strange thought that my bike wouldnít start again and that I would be stuck out here in the middle of nowhere. I jumped up and immediately started the KLR. That motor turned over first time and I felt foolish for even having the thought. Strange, unfamiliar surroundings make you do funny things.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline onderbroek

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 12:40:15 pm »
 ::) :thumleft:
hak vrystaat

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 12:41:19 pm »
Sani Chalet
I eventually got to Sani chalet, I impressed to find a fully kitted BMW GS and Transalp sitting there relaxing. The owners of these two machines looked like serious travellers because they had every conceivable gadget on their bikes. I looked at their maps in their tank bags and saw they had done some serious kilometres. I went into the pub and ordered a nice cold Hansa beer. It was the best beer I had tasted in a long time.
The Road Down
So after chatting to some German bikers I decided enough is enough and itís time to head back into South Africa. I blame the beer for the next chain of events. I loaded up and started the KLR,  proceeded to exit the chalet and drove right through the border without getting my passport stamped. With hindsight I remember there been these big white and red boom gates but at that moment in time while on the happy juice of Hansa I didnít think it was a border post. So there I go down the last bit of Sani pass. I get down to the South African border post, they stamped me back in and then they questioned me whether or not I was stamped out of Lesotho. I told them I didnít see a border post and if they think I am going back up that bloody hill they are crazy. I was tired and didnít care about the stamp. I left the border and finally reached some decent tar and headed to Howick where I spent the night at the Howick hotel.

Howick to Joburg
Whooopeee heading home. Missing my girls today, my little one was on my phone last night crying for her daddy. Even two nights away is tough on the kids, I am very close to my girls and they miss their moaning daddy when he isnít around. Nothing eventful to report on this return trip really, the only bit of fun I had was running out of petrol on the N3.
I had my bike serviced on Friday and before the service I was getting 400km to a tank before hitting reserve, so when I past the sign board that read ďThe last petrol stop for 130kmĒ I just scoffed at the sign and powered the little green machine onward and forward. At around the 315km mark my bike suddenly started to stutter and splutter. I didnít immediately realise that I was out of juice and started panicking abit wondering what the hell was wrong with the bike. I looked at the clock and had to double check the kilometres. 315km? What the flip...I switched over to reserve and slowed down to 80km an hour. I pulled in behind a fuel tanker and sat right on his bum.
While I was panicking about reaching the next petrol station I was trying to figure out what the hell went wrong with my consumption. Then I realised that I was travelling up from Natal (hills) and that the entire trip back I was bitching and moaning about riding directly into strong headwinds. Still Iím not sure if that would count for me losing 85kmís...eish
When I saw the Villiers petrol station up ahead I pulled right of the tanker and opened the throttle, I figured I could race up to the petrol station and the quicker I go the less I might have to walk should I run out of juice completely. I free wheeled into the petrol station pumping my fist in the air. It felt like I had achieved another victory on a trip that I thought turned out to be a personal success.  
After this stop I pulled out and headed home...unloaded the bike, jumped into the cage and went to fetch my little ladies from aftercare and enjoyed an afternoon with them at the Spur in Alberton.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 12:44:05 pm »
Sani

Come on you Spurs.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 12:46:43 pm »
Trip notes:
Bike: 2010 Kawasaki KLR650. 10 600km on the clock.
Lesotho roads: When you have tar its beautiful, when you have dirt itís a bit technical. Just a note, when you in rural areas wave at the kids, the little shits like to throw stones at you (I donít know why Ė perhaps they only like riders on big BMWís). I found waving at them engages their little brains and the delay lets you drive by. Before I did the queens wave I had a few little stones wiz past my head.
Tools: I packed all my tools for this trip because I was travelling alone. I had tyre levers, patches, sunlight soap, spanners, cable ties, the whole nine yards. I had minimal first aid stuff though, just a few head ache powders.
Surprises: When I was in the remotest places heading towards Sani Pass, I was actually surprised at how I talked myself into believing I had made a wrong turn somewhere or that my bike wouldnít start or that I was going to fall off and hurt myself. Logically I knew I was doing everything right but because I hadnít seen people in a few hours, because it was so quiet and because I didnít have cell phone reception it actually threw me off a bit. I didnít panic but I was definitely asking myself stupid questions. I think thatís when having a riding partner helps you. Iím also glad I experienced this little bit of stupidity because I will recognise it next time it comes knocking on my door.
Final Thoughts: I felt really good after completing this trip. Everyone I spoke to was against me travelling alone. I backed myself and my riding abilities and rode through Lesotho and Sani Pass from one end right through to the other. I was well chuffed with myself. I think it was a success because I didnít plan it too much, I left home when I left and stopped when I stopped. I had no time schedule to keep and I think this helped me especially when I had the panic attacks in the middle of nowhere.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline RallyMan

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 12:55:07 pm »
Very nice Writeup. lovely
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 01:11:27 pm »
Thanks Tenereman

I hope it makes sense. It was my first RR so I was trying to copy and past as quick as I could.  :imaposer: hopefully i didnt muck it up... :ricky:

Come on you Spurs.

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
  • Race Dog
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 01:26:14 pm »
 :thumleft: Nice RR and trip!!!
That kitted TA with the German rider at Sani Top, sounds and looks like the old guy we met in De Rust on the way back from our Lesotho and Bastervoet trip!! We actually explained to him how to get to Sani. I'm glad he made it!!! Small world hey!  ::)
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 01:50:57 pm »
True, true. It is a small world.

Come on you Spurs.