Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Solo through Lesotho - Sani Pass  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Lone Wolf

Re: Solo through Lesotho - Sani Pass
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 01:55:38 pm »
 very nice!!! respect for taking on an adventure by yourself! i think we all need to do this kind of thing once in a while just to make sure that we haven't gone completely soft and that we are still men!! and if something should go wrong it just adds to the adventure and it makes it so much more rewarding when you get trough it! the harder the better some times... well done!
 :thumleft:

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 02:10:42 pm »
Agreed. Its a good test. I was really surprised that when I realised I had no cell phone signal how I suddenly started talking myself stupid. We are surrounded by technology all the time and you dont realise what it takes to get by solely on your own. As I said next time Im camping in the pass, its so beautiful and quiet and I am looking forward the seeing the night sky.
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline Lone Wolf

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 02:16:10 pm »
sounds awesome.... talking about camping , where do you camp in Lesotho?? is it allowed to free camp or is there camping areas?? cos staying in a b&b or hotel is a serious no no in my books... plus i like camping!

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 02:58:47 pm »
Dude I dont care. I will camp in that remote part of Sani pass. Perhaps find a chief and give him a bottle of brandy and 20 bucks and get permission to camp. I think that will work...
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline krister

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 03:39:12 pm »
Nice, honest and good report!  Thanks for sharing!  :thumleft:
Previous Bikes: Suzuki TS50ER; Suzuki GS1000G; Kawasaki Z1000; Yamaha XT500; BMW F650GS; BMW R1150GS; BMW R1200GS Adventure; BMW R1200GS

Offline JACOVV

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 04:38:14 pm »
Nice - and solo is LEKKER  :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline Stofdonkie

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 07:11:15 pm »
:thumleft: Nice RR and trip!!!
That kitted TA with the German rider at Sani Top, sounds and looks like the old guy we met in De Rust on the way back from our Lesotho and Bastervoet trip!! We actually explained to him how to get to Sani. I'm glad he made it!!! Small world hey!  ::)

I saw that guy in Riviersonderend!
Carpe BM.

Offline LouisXander

• Elephant fighter
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Old man with Elephantine motorcycle
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 03:42:07 pm »
lekker Fegen, dis my vgl trip as my nuwe scoot kom!
Don't dress for the ride, dress for the fall!

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 08:31:26 am »
You will smaak it stukkenk boet  :imaposer: i had alot of fun. Glad you guys enjoyed the read,wasnt sure if it was worth posting but glad i posted it.For me Its all about getting the other oaks out there on the road, if i can do it so can anyone. Im waiting to hear from Jaybiker, he is a toppie and he did the same trip this weekend except in reverse.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline See Duiwel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Passop voor!
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2011, 11:03:15 am »
Are you not the guy I met at top of Sani? We had a beer together and you were on your way down! That guy witht the Honda had clutch problems.
A car window is just a TV screen

Offline Fargo

• Pack Dog
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, 11:06:11 am »
Good report I enjoy your writing style!

Offline Bring It On

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 01:58:32 pm »
Good report I enjoy your writing style!

+1 :thumleft:

Very enjoyable read. :)
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 04:59:05 pm »
Are you not the guy I met at top of Sani? We had a beer together and you were on your way down! That guy witht the Honda had clutch problems.
I might have been that guy, shaved head, glasses, we spoke about how i battled coming down the pass to the chalet. Small world again hey... :3some:

Come on you Spurs.

Offline Mnr ys

• Pack Dog
  • Be Happy
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 05:19:01 pm »
I might have been that guy, shaved head, glasses, we spoke about how i battled coming down the pass to the chalet. Small world again hey... :3some:
well done
Dont worry Be Happy

Offline jimjim

• Race Dog
  • Bike: MZ (all models)
  • I do nothing all day
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2011, 10:20:31 pm »
It's RRs like this that makes one want to rush into the garage, kit up and ride. Thanks Fegen.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.  - W. C. Fields

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 04:35:33 pm »
I have added a Final Route Map for all you guys who want to travel through Lesotho. It shows all the possible routes through and around Lesotho. I hope you guys can use it in future and I also hope it inspires some of you guys out there to choose a route and go ahead and do ride it, theres more to Lesotho than just Sani Pass  :drif:

Come on you Spurs.

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2011, 06:08:30 pm »
I have added a Final Route Map for all you guys who want to travel through Lesotho. It shows all the possible routes through and around Lesotho. I hope you guys can use it in future and I also hope it inspires some of you guys out there to choose a route and go ahead and do ride it, theres more to Lesotho than just Sani Pass  :drif:

Yes and from the main routes that is highlighted above there are hundreds of smaller "sub" routes that are extremely interesting. Lesotho is just one amaizing place, I do however recomend that you do it in a group and not alone.
A friend of mine had a very nasty accident in Lesotho on Saterday ( he fell into a deep ditch ) and was it not for the help from the rest of the group he would not have made it out.
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 01:29:41 pm »
Hey Mitch at last I found the report that I couldn't open on the E-mail
What a great write up. After my own failure I had decided Never Again, but your attitude is so inspiring that I may consider something a little less ambitious sometime. Maybe Qachas Nek to Katse Dam?
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 07:15:50 pm »
Hey J - i tried phoning you to chat. Listen, there is no such thing as failure mate. There are lessons learnt and experiences gained. What you deem as a failure i see as a success, today you showed that even at 60 odd we can attempt new things, and grow. Tomorrows successful adventure begins from todays learnings. Be blessed my brother, trust in your abilities and plan to overcome your limitations by been dogged in the pursuit of your goals even at 67. Be blessed, be at peace. Shalom and God Bless. Mitch KLRFegen.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline frans1

• Race Dog
  • Lewe elke dag voluit!
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 09:11:16 pm »
Hi Thanks for your report and e mail early today. We going to cut out Katse dam and do it at a later stage.  The road from Sani to katse dam pass Thaba-Teska will take a good 11 hours. We going to leave early the Saturday from Margate and  do the same as your trip, but in the opposite direction than your trip. We will let you know how it went. Regards Frans1 
BMW 1200GSA (What a Machine!!!)
BMW R100RS (Busy with the repairs)
BMW 1200GS (Love the bike)
WR 450 Yamaha (Sold)
Yamaha 500 XT (Sold) Yamaha 175 DT (Sold) Honda 90 cc (Gave it away)