Wet Elandsriver route.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JERINOMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
On a couple of occasions on this forum I read not to attempt the Elandsriver route when it’s wet!!!

5530.jpg

Crowley, a Gautenger  is down here in PE for a work related project. So he contacted me and wanted to do a ride. I contacted PCD and the ride was on.

The initial idea was that we do the Grootriver Poort, but we unanimously decided against it as there was rain forecasted for the Steytlerville area.  So it was decided to do the much dryer Elandsriver route.

Well , I was pleased with the fact that I did my homework. Yr.no predicted rain from Sunday morning early and will stop Sunday Morning at 08:00. With a whole Saturday of sunshine and about 0.6mm predicted for Sunday morning, I was confident that the route toward Patensie will be a breeze as I’ve done this route so many times before.

We were meeting at the Sasol garage in Disa rd. On my way there it was still raining just as yr.no predicted but the sun was already coming out so it was going to be a glorious day.

5010f.jpg

Crowly arriving shortly after me

5020r.jpg

PCD arriving

5030f.jpg

We thought of waiting a bit till the rain subsides and PCD got us some Coffee

5050r.jpg

PCD on the left and Crowley on the right

5060d.jpg

The rain was almost gone and it was time to get some dirt under us. A beautiful day and a nice route. There were some raindrops here and there, but the sun came through and it was all set up for a great ride.

5070s.jpg

5080o.jpg

5090a.jpg

5110.jpg

5130i.jpg

5140.jpg

5150e.jpg

The clowdcover over Patensie looked a bit heavy but yr.no was never wrong (so far), so I knew those clowds were moving  away.

5160.jpg

5180an.jpg

5190g.jpg

Our slightly fading hope for a dry ride was affirmed again by the sun sticking its neck out again.

5200m.jpg

5210j.jpg

The road surface was quite wet at some places indicating that there was more than 0.6mm rain as yr predicted.

5220.jpg

And then the rain came down. I was surprised YR got it wrong but being the optimist, I thought it will blow over.

5230.jpg

5240d.jpg

That little road sign explained the whole trip from here on.

5250.jpg

I stopped and wanted to get the feeling if we must push on and hope the rain will stop. What a stupid question to ask Crowley. On his 950SE, what answer was I expecting? Hungry for a ride, he also thought we must push on.

5260f.jpg

5270m.jpg

With a nod from  PCD we were off in the rain.

5280.jpg

The road was as slippery as can be. I always defended the capability of the Scout tyre in muddy conditions but today I tend to agree with the rest of the reports. The Scout is NOT a good back tyre for mud.

5290.jpg

5300e.jpg

5310k.jpg

5320.jpg

I was time for a smoke break and to rethink what our plans for the rest of the trip’s going to be.

5330d.jpg

Crowley’s work of art.

5340.jpg

The three bikes

5350.jpg

PCD and his GS

5360b.jpg

5370.jpg

We decided to move on. The red clay were manageable,  but that yellow and grey stuff were the ones to look out for.

5400r.jpg

5420.jpg

5430z.jpg

It was the start of the climb toward the tower as we were about 2.5km from the tower.

5450h.jpg

5460u.jpg

And this is where the sh..t hit the fan

5470f.jpg

5480d.jpg

5490p.jpg

5500f.jpg

5510t.jpg

5520s.jpg

5530.jpg

At first I thought I did not hurt myself. I could feel a knock on my shin, but thought nothing of it.

How awesome that 950SE with its Michelin Desert  looked when Crowley passed me.

5540.jpg

PCD was going nowhere either. He’s bike couldn’t get enough traction to up here where we were.

5560t.jpg

5570.jpg

After Crowley helped me pick up the pig, we were off to PCD to assist. This is where Crowley’s experience made the difference.  I always thought that one should never ride up a “wash away”. Crowley suggested to get the front wheel into the wash away and ride it out. Well, the lights came on and it made good sense as the soft mud is washed away, leaving the harder surface protruded.

5590.jpg

This was the third CODESA meeting. Should we or shouldn’t we carry on. My mind was made up since I knew from here it’s only getting worse. Everybody agree that we should turn around.

5610h.jpg

5620u.jpg

5630.jpg

If to rub salt in the wounds, it started bucketing down again.

5640k.jpg

At some stage PCD fell behind. His bike cut out, but he managed to get it going again.

5650m.jpg

With a: “Take us out of here” in PCD’s eyes we were off. The rain stopped and so did we for the last time before hitting the asphalt.

5660.jpg

5670j.jpg

5680.jpg

5690.jpg

5700z.jpg

5750u.jpg

We needed food desparately, so PCD took the lead  and took us to the closest restaurant.

5760.jpg

Arriving 20minutes later at the restaurant in Seaview, the sun were shining as if there were no  rain since the “great depression”.

5770z.jpg

5780u.jpg

My sleeves were still wet, not to mention the mud on my boots and pants.

5790.jpg

My leg was getting sensitive since I came off the bike and thought of going to the bathroom and have a look

5795.jpg

It was swollen. More than I expected.

A  burger and chips and hot Coffee and we felt human again.

5800t.jpg

5810y.jpg

5820a.jpg

The bike was as muddy as I ever saw it.

5830i.jpg

5840i.jpg

5850.jpg

The mark on my leg had a triangle shape and was wondering where it came from.

5860.jpg

And soon it was ID’ed.

5870h.jpg

My leg was getting all the more purple. The price of stupidity I should say.

5880v.jpg

Although the ride did not pan out as it was planned, we still had a good ride.  I promised Crowley that we will still complete the Elandsriver route.  We can safely say, and agree with the rest that the Elandsriver road should be avoided when wet.