GT Amageza Assessment - No sand but....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johang

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I arrived at the Sasol petrol station close to Harties to find AlanB also filling up.  Both of us had our "race faces" so did not have to much time to meet and chat and all those pleasantries.  Something was awaiting us and it sounded like you need to focus.

Arrive at the ADA Training and Outdoor Centre.  There was a lot of Honda flags and I though I had the date wromg, but there was actually another event on the go.

Mark wlecomed us, we got some coffee and stuff for the stomach.  The GPS files were efficiently "on" loaded by Wookie.

O Ja, I do not have pictures but video clips that I'll publish as soon as I can get it loaded...

We got a very formal briefing but very little in terms of what to expect.  You have to ride, read the GPS and stay upright and within the speed limits and not faster than 120km/h.

Then we were set off, 2 minutes apart.  Into some beautiful terrain, but that was the first 200m.  Then it was up and down, duck here and duck there and do not get hooked like Absolom on a tree...

The farm section required sure footedness and focus and fitness was key.  As soon as you manhandled the bike, the next obstacle was waiting.  Then you get into "vervoering" and do not read the GPS quick enough and you are past the turn and you have to back track and get back on with the programme.

Out the farm and as soon as I settled down, there is a footpath through a little donga/stream and they expect a F800Gs to go over and through it.  But we got through.  Then some tar and open back roads.  Those back roads are as slippery as hell.  There are locals on the roads.  Now you have to watch your speed, read the GPS, watch for locals, watch for animals, watch for people, and watch for whatever comes from the front, side, back and even the top...

Then back towards the ADA Training and Outdoor Centre and you start thinking it is over and you suddenly have to redo some of the stuff in reverse order, not that they think you would be tired by then.

Some tips:
*   Have enough water for the ride.  3 Liters gone within the first 180km's.
*   Know your GPS.  When zoomed in, corners seem far and then in a blink you are past...
*   Keep tyre preasures up for the rocky sections.
*   Look for road sections where you can relax your muscles and regularly use different muscle groups.

For a while I rode with EatMyKTM and it makes the trip better.  Pairing for the trip is good.  BUT do the assessment alone, it is the best way to learn your GPS, apply navigation skills, get through difficult stuff and make plans te resolve issues.  Your mate will not want to tag you along, but will want to rely on you adding value during the real event.

Amageza is a very good concept, and skills that will come handy in off-road touring..

Thanxs Mark and his support team for a great event...