Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: R1200GS ADV hits the showroom floors  (Read 5745 times)

Offline sidetrack

R1200GS ADV hits the showroom floors
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 07:06:18 pm »
What is the big deal with showing a bike before it is sold or delivered to someone ? Is BMW worried about some one selling bikes beforehand or what  :? All this comotion over a GS with panniers, knobblies and more crashbars  :lol:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 07:21:32 pm »
Quote from: "digitaldan"
What is the big deal with showing a bike before it is sold or delivered to someone ? Is BMW worried about some one selling bikes beforehand or what  :? All this comotion over a GS with panniers, knobblies and more crashbars  :lol:

Agreed,
Lyndhurst may get a spanking, but as the biggest dealership in the bottom half of the planet money talks!

I also loved the panniers, was happy with the tank, was so under impressed with the NEW bash plate! But I have issues with those being a BUFF!

Welsh  8)

But we started in the morning
Behind every great man, is a woman rolling her eyes.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 08:08:58 am »
I would also like to know why BMW is so anal about these kind of things...

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 09:27:01 am »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
I would also like to know why BMW is so anal about these kind of things...

All part of their marketing plan. Happens with the cages as well. Big no-no for a dealer to show a new model before offical "big bang launch".

Does not make real sense but they do pay the Marketing Department millions to think out these ideas and then spend millions more on the official launch by inviting celebrities and other high flyers to the official launch. To then allow the dealers to "launch" it beforehand to  "Jan-Alleman", would upset the big bosses!

BMW knows how to market. Give them that.

This is what I think.  :?
He who angers you, controls you.

shark_za

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 10:10:05 am »
All the "sightings" and "inside info" is also part of the marketing campaign,
creates public interest and hysteria for a bike we have all seen in pictures and in the flesh.
The dudes at Auto Bavaria where I have my car serviced are riding them.

And I bet the Lydhurst story is a "troll" it gets people talking about it.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 12:16:29 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"
All the "sightings" and "inside info" is also part of the marketing campaign, creates public interest and hysteria for a bike we have all seen in pictures and in the flesh.

nothing more true said. on the few forums i look thru, this topic stands out in all of them - the new 1200 -
i for one cant wait for the week after its launch for all this hype to calm down... then another few months before the first second hand ones go on the market.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 09:18:33 pm »
Or get the name of some short-ass that buys the new ADV, it won't be long before he sells because he can't reach the ground. 8)  8)
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline shme

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 01:52:24 pm »
Hannes Grobler From Nissan Motorsport got his bike on monday.Almond colour. His was the first to be deliverd. The rest should soon follow.

Offline Nam

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 10:02:41 pm »
Quote from: LuckyStriker
are you sure?

I know they have a silver(grey) 1200GS in a crate
mmm...maybe I can go bribe someone to show me... :wink:[/quote

I understand that there are 12gsa's in SA already. Have ordered mine in December and was told by the dealer that mine is already in SA and would be delivered to me towards the end of next week.  :D They better be telling the truth........... :evil:

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2006, 10:14:16 pm »
Hope you get it NAM....

Also all you guys waiting for delivery (and making me jealous) please promise you are going to take them off-road!!!
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2006, 01:13:02 pm »
I am counting the days until the delivery

The wallet has been drained of any cash and the magnetic strip on my mastercard is worn down to the plastic layer.
These are some of the things I have ordered in anticipation:

Stebel Compact Nautilus Air Horn and installation kit from Adventurers Workshop
It toots at an almighty 139dB and should blast that dizzy blond in her green Opel Corsa out of my way in the mornings :D

A diff protector from Hyde Developments
I see the HP2 comes out with one but unfortunately that part won't fit on the GS

A Scott steering damper from Shadow Line
Probably a complete waste of money. Fortunately you will have a guinea pig (me) to test it out and tell you if it's worth your hard earned cash. I promise to be truthfull.

A K&N performance air filter from my dealer
Guaranteed for a 100,000 miles and completely reusable/cleanable
I plan to build a snorkel and hopefully the increased airflow through the filter will offset the decreased airflow through the snorkel - we'll see how it goes.

I am very excited about my new ride. July 20, I can hardly wait

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2006, 01:20:22 pm »
For a momnet there i thought this:

Was one of those cupholder thingys that swivel and tilt to make sure the drink stays in the cup.. and not all over your handlebar.... :D  :D

Handy for those cruising dayz... where you just wanna sit back and relax.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2006, 01:38:43 pm »
I agree that it can become a bit bling. That diff protector is slightly worrysome :lol:
Next thing you know I'm fitting spinners and cow print fur on the seat!

Perhaps I should have posted my above post under funny stuff :oops:

Offline Leo

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2006, 01:50:36 pm »
Hell LS you're going for gold I see. My dad always said "Go big or go home"  :D

Is that diff thing really necessary?  Did you have problems on your std 1200.

That horn will wake up any f$%^ blond on her cellphone!

Using a K&N on my current bike - works like a charm!

The damper is also on my list, 2gether with full pipe either Remus or Lazer!

You haven't come across someone who has managed to alter the bash plate mounts??  :?

Just had word - my delivery date has been put forward to 20 July 2006 - it's still way long, but a lot better than 31/08.  8)
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2006, 03:04:16 pm »
Quote from: "Leo"
Just had word - my delivery date has been put forward to 20 July 2006 - it's still way long, but a lot better than 31/08.  8)

Congratulations on the earlier arrival  :D - I hope it's not MY bike they're giving you though :x

I have not seen damage to the 1200 diff but I have seen some ugly scrapes on HP2s and 1150s. The diff cover should however keep most of the sand and mud off the disc and thereby save the brake pads from early wear.

As for mounting points...sorry. I have also not found any improvements. Camojoe is apparently hard at work with a hacksaw cutting new skidplates from depleted uranium armour. I am looking forward to one of those as well.
They are completely smooth underneath so should theoretically transmit less energy to the mounting points, unless you bottom out hard.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2006, 03:23:54 pm »
I think it is only Kilersa that is beating you currently with the amount of bling on his bike

Bling---------- ouch :lol:

The plaasbike needs a bit of aftermarket attention to upt its capability and long distance touring comfort/capability.  I do enjoy the Corbin though.

Haven't done anything to the zorst yet - thats normally a Blinger's first priority - noise :lol:

H

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2006, 03:27:53 pm »
Quote from: "KiLeRSA"
I think it is only Kilersa that is beating you currently with the amount of bling on his bike

Bling---------- ouch :lol:

The plaasbike needs a bit of aftermarket attention to upt its capability and long distance touring comfort/capability.  I do enjoy the Corbin though.

Haven't done anything to the zorst yet - thats normally a Blinger's first priority - noise :lol:

H

Sharkie put on a new zorst on the KLR, sounds awesome (now like a real thumper and not a Beetle)
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
KTM 1190 ADV R

shark_za

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2006, 03:40:32 pm »
Uh huh uh huh , ma plaasbike sounds kief ek se.

Offline Nam

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 02:21:04 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
Quote from: "Leo"

Congratulations on the earlier arrival  :D - I hope it's not MY bike they're giving you though :x

I have not seen damage to the 1200 diff but I have seen some ugly scrapes on HP2s and 1150s. The diff cover should however keep most of the sand and mud off the disc and thereby save the brake pads from early wear.

As for mounting points...sorry. I have also not found any improvements. Camojoe is apparently hard at work with a hacksaw cutting new skidplates from depleted uranium armour. I am looking forward to one of those as well.
They are completely smooth underneath so should theoretically transmit less energy to the mounting points, unless you bottom out hard.

Very happy to report that my 12GSA arrived at the dealer yesterday and I will be collecting it tomorrow.  :D  Had a look this morning (first time in real life, so far only pictures) and it looks stunning :!:  in real life.

Maybe this is usefull info.  The knobby tires are TKC80's. Clear indicator lenses look to be standard. Panniers is also great looking and hopefully as practical as they are cool. Be prepared, the cost for the pannier locks (6 of them) is around R130 each.

Will post again after a weekend filled with riding. :twisted:

Offline bud500

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 02:33:46 pm »
Lucky bastid!
May the bridges I burn light the way...