Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: High mileage DRZ 400, with suspected noisy clutch.  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
High mileage DRZ 400, with suspected noisy clutch.
« on: October 26, 2011, 06:49:02 pm »
Hello all you DRZ experts...

I am trying to work out what is making a noise on my DRZ 400. The bike, is a 2001 and I have stripped the motor to inspect everything. The insides are all within spec according to the SUZUKI workshop manual.
I know little of the bike's history so I cannot say what the mileage is.
There is no power loss in my opinion and the motor runs well. Tappets could do with a reshim but not serious. Very slightly noisy.

I am posting this to ask you guys, if anyone has ever had a noisy clutch basket on one of your bikes, or on one that you know of? What were the symptoms and what noise did the motor make?

Offline Sharingroads

• Race Dog
  • Bike: DKW (all models)
    • Sharing Roads
Re: High mileage DRZ 400, with suspected noisy clutch.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 06:55:17 pm »
Sell your client a 1994 F, grew hair in 2 weeks. To many other noises to worry about clutch.

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:05:07 pm »
Hey!! Mister despondent F rider!! I think you must send that F to me. I will fix it for you that you start to love it again...

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 09:53:56 am »
Noise coming out of a DRZ? The big end bearing! :peepwall:

Kinda difficult to diagnose "Very slightly noisy". :-\

What does it sound like? Knocking like a monkey with a hammer? Rumbling like an old mortar mixer?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:19:21 pm »
Okay..

The slightly noisy comment was about the tappets. That is the least of my concern. A bit of time and a shim or two and that will be a past problem..

The noise I am concerned with is clearly in the lower end of the motor. This is the reason that I mentioned, that I have had it apart and I have inspected everything. Everything is within spec... WELL WITHIN spec..

To describe the noise, is as follows. The motor gets noisier as it gets warmer. It is a knocking noise, which sounds like clattering gears, only louder. The knocking, is in synch with the power pulses of the motor..
The interesting thing though, is that if you pull the clutch, it gets ever so slightly quieter. If you put the bike into gear and release the clutch until the motor is loading, the noise goes away. Then the motor is quiet, the way I would expect it to be. Big end, main, piston to bore clearance, all well within spec.

I have excluded the following areas because they are not loaded and/or in motion when I load the motor in gear..
Cam, cam-chain and tensioners, tappets etc. All gearbox components and bearings

The following, I have excluded because I have stripped and inspected the components.
By inspection, I mean following the detailed procedures specified in the factory workshop manual. Be that using measuring devices such as micrometers, Dial gauge and verniers, or simple visual inspection..
Piston and rings, bore, small end bush, big end bearing, main bearings (which I decided to replace with genuine Suzuki parts).

I am left with loose flywheels, clutch basket, drum, counterbalancer shaft etc. Which seeing as I have gone over the motor with a fine tooth comb, I have checked for looseness and found nothing wrong and in the process of reassembling, I have tightened and torqued to the specified torque. The only reasonable option to my mind, is the clutch assembly somehow making a noise. The reason I posted this thread was to try and find out of someone has experienced a similar problem and managed to repair it. I would have liked to have heard whether they experienced the same, or similar symptoms and noises..

Offline Sharingroads

• Race Dog
  • Bike: DKW (all models)
    • Sharing Roads
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 04:07:02 pm »
What does it sound like? Knocking like a monkey with a hammer? Rumbling like an old mortar mixer?

Oh so you know what my bike sounds like.

Offline duke996

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 04:39:23 pm »
 The motor gets noisier as it gets warmer. It is a knocking noise, which sounds like clattering gears, only louder. The knocking, is in synch with the power pulses of the motor..
The interesting thing though, is that if you pull the clutch, it gets ever so slightly quieter. If you put the bike into gear and release the clutch until the motor is loading, the noise goes away. Then the motor is quiet, the way I would expect it to be. Big end, main, piston to bore clearance, all well within spec.

I've had a similar problem with my KLR recently. Your description above is exactly what I experienced. Had it looked at and guess what. New sprocket and chain that was fitted wasn't lined up(less than 3000km on the set).
This might not be the problem but have a look at it.

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 11:46:43 am »
Hey Duke...

Thanks for the reply buddy, but been down that road as well... All good in that hood...

Gonna take it to Julian tomorrow and see what he thinks....

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:03:56 pm »
Okay.. so we all like closure.. and on a thread like this, I think we all deserve the result..

As I thought, Julian says that the clutch basket is the problem. there are a few options to repair this. Replace the basket, replace the springs or ride it like that..

I will not be doing any work on the bike till I have freed myself of the overload of work I have but when I do, I will be sure to update you guys as to the result..

Thanks for the interest and the input.

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 12:02:31 pm »
glad to hear you have found the issue :)
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 11:26:56 pm »
Hey Adam.. I see your ride is standing with Julian...

What's the story there?

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 12:44:14 pm »
Hey Adam.. I see your ride is standing with Julian...

What's the story there?

Gearbox bearings. Kakked off after I went to 434 + hotcam.
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 04:19:39 pm »
Hmmm... Doesn't sound right...