Double 55W HIDs on R1200GS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgorgens

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi

I have installed two 55W HID ballast-bulbs on my 2005 R12GS, ordered from DDM in the US.
The manufacturer claims that the system does not draw more than 6amps per ballast during start-up.

Unfortunately the Canbus doesn't like the system.
I usually start-up with the bright switched-off, although I still see momentary blips in speedo and rev counter.
When I turn on the bright, both of these dip to zero for about half a minute, and then resume normal operation.
On some instances I've seen "bulb out" warning, but this also disappears after a minute or so.

However, I have noticed the, as part of these "error codes" the Canbus also cuts power to the aux Hella plug - which doesn't come back on until the bike is restarted.

I'm trying to figure out whether installing two relays to draw power directly from the battery will be a safe solution?
Considering the my 2005 bike has the 600W alternator, rather than the 720W fitted to later models, and electric servo brakes, and I in danger of draining the battery, especially during low-revs riding?

Thanks