XYZ does CLARENS & LESOTHO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankgirl

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
lesothoclarens8-1.jpg

This trip has been brewing for a while... But first we had to get OliveOil on board a bike that can handle the terrain! I
mean I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy to have to drag a F650GS up and down those hills! A few short trips around
the backyard did the trick and it was decided that her and “Fifi” were ready and able, and everything else fell into
place. Dakota arranged some grand accommodation for us and the rest was history! (in the making) :p

lesothoclarens01.jpg

The plan was to meet up at blazes’ place at 7pm, throw all the bikes on BOER!’s generously offered multi-bike trailer
and kip there so that we’d be all set to leave at 2am Saturday morning. But Mother Nature was in such a kak mood that
I only managed to reluctantly leave my cozy housie at 8:30pm, I’d still need to give my rain suit adequate time to dry
before it was go-time! Dakota and S-4-B arrived at ±10pm, not having had dinner yet! We all hopped in the party bus
and ended up at Tings an’ Times! A lovely meal and a solid kuier later we headed back. OliveOil was due to arrive about
an hour later, so instead of going to bed we watched The World’s Fastest Indian :D

lesothoclarens2.jpg

After the movie, we loaded the bikes onto the massive trailer (the rain had eventually stopped) and we hit the road!
The Valley Cats Espresso Cafe in Clarens was still closed at 7am, so we went and booked into our spot, offloaded the
bikes, kitted up and rode back to town again for our long-awaited, mouth watering breakfast and some fuel. From
there we headed ‘straight’ for the ‘twisties’ ;D

lesothoclarens4.jpg

The spectacular Golden Gate scenery is a delightful yet dangerous distraction from the roads here which, themselves,
are an absolute pleasure to ride. It’s really no mystery why this is such a popular destination for breakfast runners.
Harties who? ;D

lesothoclarens3.jpg

We stopped for a breathtaking panorama view at one of the many lookout points along the way and then we sliced
through Heuweltop to the Monontsha border post. The route has a few surprises here and there, some ruts, sand
patches, loose rocky bits and again, gorgeous, concentration-breaking views, I must just mention OliveOil really
impressed us all with her performance on the new Suzuki ;) sub-150kg bikes RULE! :D

lesothoclarens6.jpg

We encountered quite a bit of wild game along the way… this place is strikingly vast!
[unfortunately my camera phone doesn’t zoom very effectively]

lesothoclarens5.jpg

Following Hoofseun’s heroics with the calf in the canal, everyone wants a go :D

lesothoclarens7.jpg

The Pretoria BMW mob were also in the vicinity for their year end function, and we passed a group of them just outside
the border. Cool spotting you KnopKop, Marnus, WHeelZ and CK! ;) We also crossed tracks with Cracker and posse and
many, many local kids screaming after us for sweeeeeeets! Heh. The road conditions were great but our asses still took
a pounding! :D

lesothoclarens8.jpg

Being out here in the mountains is just incredible, and to be able to do it on your bike is probably the best feeling in the
world! And to top it off with great company is unbeatable! ;D It was my second time through here, and definitely worth
coming back to again and again. :thumleft:

lesothoclarens9.jpg

Since there’s no Lesotho border post at Monontsha, we knew we’d get some heat for no stamps going out the other
side, so instead we just turned back the way we came. Unfortunately the tavern’s fridge was out of order where we last
shared a few cold Maluti brews. Just as well I suppose, I’d been nursing a moerse pee over the bumps for quite some
distance already, it’s not like there’s any privacy to just have a quick whazz! ::)

lesothoclarens10.jpg

After an exhilarating day’s riding we arrived back in Clarens for schnitzels and apple strudel at the Röter Hahn. The
previous night’s sleep depravation, coupled with the day’s action and our stuffed bellies, we started to drop like flies,
one after the other. Some bathed, some not :p Fact is though, I was the first to go! Upon arriving back at the cottage
my front wheel slipped into this half-pavement, half-grass-embankment ditch thing and BAM! Down she goes! Clutch
lever moer toe! :eek: Luckily blazes had a spare for his Husky and what do you know it fits! Almost like it’s exactly the
same part ::)

lesothoclarens12.jpg

Next morning saluted us with a beautiful sunrise, at first suggesting a lekker hot day but alas, the clouds rolled up again
and since we were all up so early, we decided to have a quickie before breakfast. The boys headed out to Old Mill Pass
and us girls took a laid-back ride around the dark side of the mountain, and all met back up in town for some well-
deserved bacon and eggs. Mushrooms for the Veg  :p

lesothoclarens11.jpg

lesothoclarens13.jpg

lesothoclarens14.jpg

lesothoclarens15.jpg

lesothoclarens16.jpg

After breakfast we packed up all our stuff, and for old times’ sake had some cappuccinos and fudge cakes before taking
on the long stretch back home, deeply satisfied and inspired for the next trip! 8)

lesothoclarens17.jpg

Thanks to all the guys and girls for an absolutely wonderful time! Can't wait for the next one! ;)