Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Riding through traffic. WTF?!  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Geriatrix

Re: Riding through traffic. WTF?!
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 09:02:28 am »
When you hit a car you will know that you were going too fast.

BTW there is some weak evidence that lane splitting may be safer than riding in the lane - see the attached paper.
Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Offline Copernicus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 09:07:20 am »
I also lane split at about 40 km/h.  To me the advantage is the fact that I keep moving while the cars more or less stand still.  If the traffic moves at a decent speed I don't worry about splitting but I keep to more or less the same position on the road so that I can see ahead or pass if the car slows down.  However, no matter what the situation, I try to never inconvenience a car.  If you don't take their turn or place they usually don't mind yielding for you for a second or two.

But I also agree that some go too fast between the lanes.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 09:08:16 am »
Then this morning I see a taxi using the IRT bus lane,WTF!!!!!!!!

I was wondering how long it will take for these gentlemen to do the inevitable.  :)

If these types don't feel the FULL brunt of the law then, by osmosis, their lawlessness will quickly spread in their ranks.

This is going to be good, because mrs. De Lille and Zille won't take their kak.  :mwink:

I sincerely hope they get dealt with harshly.

I was actually wondering who will be the first transgressors, a taxi or high-ranking civil "servant"/BEE "businessman's" wife other half in a big SUV.

Fixed.

Just phoned City of Cape Town: Metrol Police & Traffic and logged a call @ 0860 765 423. Phone was picked up almost immediately, woman on other side spoke good English and I could hear her keyboard revving.

Watch this space.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:10:18 am by Jacko »
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Spore

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 09:11:23 am »
Agree 100% with Malibu. I feel comfortable, and sort of in control, when I travel slightly faster than the cages in heavy traffic. I do however try and anticipate if the vehicle I am approaching is aware of me, especially if there is a gap next to that vehicle that might allow this sucker to duck into that lane without taking my interests at heart! If I feel uncertain, I will slow down and approach this vehicle with circumspection ;-)

I commute everyday in Jburg traffic and visit my clients as per 2 wheels daily - its seriously scary when you travel too slow and the next moment an uneducated/unconditioned cager appears, at the speed of light, at your backside! Save lane-splitting all you Dogs! :ricky:
Courage without conscience is a wild beast...

Offline Remy

• Iron Rider
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Iron Rider
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 09:23:16 am »
I think you should ride & pass at a speed that is comfortable to yourself, I usually travel in 2nd or 3de gear depending on the traffic if on the highway I probably go 20-40km faster than the vehicle I need to pass, If others behind me don't like it they can get a other lane to speed

Take what you can, give nothing back.
1981 YZ 80 Sold
1982 GSX 250 Sold
1985 MBX 50 Sold 1978 CB 550 Sold 1984 GSX 750 Sold 2006 CBR 600 RR Sold 2009 TRX 400 Present 2007 XL883 Sportster Sold 2009 F800GS Sold 1984 XR 500 RE Present

Offline TheAnt

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 09:31:23 am »
And ALWAYS have a planned escape route when splitting. If you gonna end up in a tight spot rather don't take the gap...

Offline Teapot

• "Ride long Live forever"
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • "RIDE LONG AND LIVE FOREVER"
    • http://www.digitalrealitydesigns.yolasite.com
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 09:46:02 am »
I ride everyday on the motor ways and yes it sucks big time.

Safe speeds through the cars generally i do anything between 40 and 80 but it also depends on the speed flow of the cars and how much space they give you.

Going fast through the traffic is just plain stoooopid.

YOU GET OLD RIDERS AND BOLD RIDERS

BUT YOU NEVER GET OLD AND BOLD RIDERS

so...LIVE LONG AND RIDE FOREVER!!!!!!!   :biggrin:
"FALL DOWN 7, STAND UP 8."
"NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SAY DIE!"

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 10:22:03 am »
The best speed for lane splitting is the pace you feel most comfortable with.

I commute daily and sometimes i pass guys on bikes and sometimes others pass me.
I would imagine that the guys that i pass most probably think "WTF is that guys riding at that speed for?" ... cause that i think when guys pass me  :thumleft:

My motto is to get home or to work in one piece and feel safe doing so. Actually the same applies for anytime i climb on the bike.
 :ricky:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 10:27:42 am »
About 20km/h faster than the cars around me is my approximate I think.

If the lanes are moving at a reasonable pace, near the speed limit, I don't even bother lane splitting.

I commute 80km a day and I dig riding in the traffic! :thumleft:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Alan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 10:38:05 am »
Mee too.
Whitedlight, also saw the twatwaffle in the buslane this morning at about ten to 8 along otto Du Plessis.. Farkers!!!!  :dousing:
And same sentiments re: the "kids" on scooters.. (And I refer now to the teeny agers, as well as the mid-life crisis kids on scooters..) There's something about a scooter that make these 'kids" think, well, it's a scooter, it won't hurt if I crash or fall off because it's only a scooter, it's not a REAL Motor Bike!!!  ??? ::) And these are REAL answers I've got from twerps speeding on scooters...

I do that ride every day, Black 660 tenere top box etc, Paw Stickers on right hand side of bike. Wave if you see me. But I've realised it's a total waste of time trying to 'educate' these nobs.. You just get abused, or chirped at etc, so fark them.  It's not if, it's when.  And WHEN it happens, I'm riding past lauging.

This used to be a pet peave of mine, now I move over WHEN IT'S SAFE TO DO SO, and you can speed off itno the back of the next cage.. I feel rocks.

Al

Offline CGAF

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Thumper love is the best kind
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 10:59:52 am »
I used to lane split like an idiot... yes, I was suicidal actually... No family to love or care for, plenty of cash and wrong choices.
I once caught myself doing 120kph in between still standing traffic... When I saw it I went to 140!
I have since found love, antidepressants, and that falling REALLY hurts. I am now splitting at 40 max.. if it go's above 80 I don't split at all. Each to his own though... If they do want to go that fast I let them... I'll even help them pick the bike back up after they binned it 30 mins later.

Offline The Purple Turtle

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • prev RiaanC
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 01:03:00 pm »
Agree with Malibu et al. +20km/h over cager speed.

I apply the 20km/h faster than the cages rule at all times.

Thus you find me lanesplitting on the N1 to Centurion at 160 when the cars are at 140.

And from the reactions I observe, the car drivers are comfortable with my splitting too.

The daily rides from/to work is what keeps me sane anyway.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:04:10 pm by The Purple Turtle »
Adventure is taking the wrong equipment to inappropriate places.

BMW R1150GS - Gertrude

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 01:10:20 pm »
Lots of guys on bikes chasing down their next accident each day on the N1. I just pull over, let them carry on and keep going at 45k/h till I get there safe and relaxed.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline madmax

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 01:20:09 pm »
i commute on my scoot every day of the year except commute on your scoot day. thats the day i take the mrs's car or mine(heres another secret confession..i got a car, perpetually flat battery and next year it will be 40y.o.) to remind myself why i commute on my scoot....

i lane split all the time and find at 10 or 20 maybe 30 (not sure) faster then flow of traffic does it for me ..i find it relatively safe but am i guess pretty conditioned to it all... in city i often dont split perse except when coming up to a red robot , stop etc then i do ....if on open road and traffic moving good at speed im happy to ride at then why split ?
fornicate the proletariat

Geotraveller

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 01:24:47 pm »
I go 10 to 20 km/h faster than the traffic moves.

Depending on the circuimstances obviously.

When all of us start moving over 60 (in peak hour) I start considering going into a normal lane and riding like a car.

+1

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 01:26:01 pm »
Lots of guys on bikes chasing down their next accident each day on the N1. I just pull over, let them carry on and keep going at 45k/h till I get there safe and relaxed.

And only 3 minutes behind them.
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 01:30:17 pm »
Mee too.
Whitedlight, also saw the twatwaffle in the buslane this morning at about ten to 8 along otto Du Plessis.. Farkers!!!!  :dousing:
And same sentiments re: the "kids" on scooters.. (And I refer now to the teeny agers, as well as the mid-life crisis kids on scooters..) There's something about a scooter that make these 'kids" think, well, it's a scooter, it won't hurt if I crash or fall off because it's only a scooter, it's not a REAL Motor Bike!!!  ??? ::) And these are REAL answers I've got from twerps speeding on scooters...

I do that ride every day, Black 660 tenere top box etc, Paw Stickers on right hand side of bike. Wave if you see me. But I've realised it's a total waste of time trying to 'educate' these nobs.. You just get abused, or chirped at etc, so fark them.  It's not if, it's when.  And WHEN it happens, I'm riding past lauging.

This used to be a pet peave of mine, now I move over WHEN IT'S SAFE TO DO SO, and you can speed off itno the back of the next cage.. I feel rocks.

Al

Yep spot on time wise,I was late this morning.Silver XT1200 .
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 01:32:53 pm »
I had an altercation with a gentleman (if I can call him that) a while back in Cape Town.......... basically I was doing around 45km/hr in a 60 zone, but there were roadworks and kids coming out of Westerford High .............  the d@@s stopped next to me and shouted that I do not know the road rules... the speed limit is 60 and I'm an assh@le for driving slower.................  shame....

As always you get them in any place, country or continent.

I've always taught my boys that the board indicating the speed... is the maximum allowable speed that the lawmakers feel is safe for that road section. If you have a moerse accident and you travelled at 60 - when the road conditions are actually attrocious, you cannot say "well I was not speeding"

Every situation needs to be addressed and just because a sign says 60, 180 or 120 it does not mean you HAVE to drive/ride at that speed........

imo you need 20 pairs of eyes............ especially when filtering and I judge the speed depending on road conditions, traffic, intersections (where a twatwaffle could suddenly decide he needs to change lanes) trucks, taxi's..... hell every ride and condition/day requires a different approach. If you become complacent and become too much at ease... it's gonna bite yer bum!
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 01:33:23 pm »
While I have all the slow and careful riders' attention  , let me say well done for your care and patience.  :thumleft: But please when the rest of us come riding up behind you please will you move out of our way, especially the roads that only have two lanes and one lane splitting opportunity , hence nowhere else to overtake . I really don't mind your careful riding , but please don't spoil it for the rest of us .
Thanks  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 01:35:07 pm »
Yesterday, on our way home down Ontdekkers, there is a lightie on a little 125 something (it was red) basically racing along on the lawned area next to the road, ramping over cross-roads, and generally having a real good time... looked like great fun...
BUT, if he had an acident, what would he have told his parents... that he farked up and was riding like a twit in peak traffic... or that a car had bashed him off and "boo hoo" it was not his fault?  

I often wonder, after seeing how the kids ride, if a lot of the 'stories' they come home with bear any resembelance to the truth?
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!