Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Riding through traffic. WTF?!  (Read 1869 times)

Offline domstes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Re: Riding through traffic. WTF?!
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 02:01:36 pm »
While I have all the slow and careful riders' attention  , let me say well done for your care and patience.  :thumleft: But please when the rest of us come riding up behind you please will you move out of our way, especially the roads that only have two lanes and one lane splitting opportunity , hence nowhere else to overtake . I really don't mind your careful riding , but please don't spoil it for the rest of us .
Thanks  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Tannie, maar ek doen dit dan. Generally if I do come up behind someone they move over 9/10 times.
Jy moet die Harley wobbles praat. Many of them refuse to move over.  But 9/10 Harley riders do not.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:05:02 pm by domstes »

Offline Hoofseun

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 02:15:30 pm »
Each person has a different risk tolerance and perception of what is acceptable and what is not.

What used to be acceptable/enforced/expected norms have changed, there are new driver behaviour that are "allowed" and thus has become the new norm.  All we can try and do is to be "alert".

Plus 20km is wise and safer...

Here are a few incidents during commuting, some during the last week...  I am busy colleting it for putting together a collection of key incidents...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4VAuMPzvddg&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4VAuMPzvddg&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>
"You are never to old to learn something new"

Johan Gray
BMW R 1200GS L/C

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 02:18:24 pm »
While I have all the slow and careful riders' attention  , let me say well done for your care and patience.  :thumleft: But please when the rest of us come riding up behind you please will you move out of our way, especially the roads that only have two lanes and one lane splitting opportunity , hence nowhere else to overtake . I really don't mind your careful riding , but please don't spoil it for the rest of us .

I don't mind pulling over for faster bikers, but what really irks me is if I let someone past and then they don't know how wide their bike is so they sit in front of me holding me up wile revving at the entrance of a gap where I would fit two of my bikes through side by side...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 02:27:28 pm »

I don't mind pulling over for faster bikers, but what really irks me is if I let someone past and then they don't know how wide their bike is so they sit in front of me holding me up wile revving at the entrance of a gap where I would fit two of my bikes through side by side...

:imaposer: ja thats the worse  :laughing4:  some of those super bikes ( probably noobs  :mwink: ) that pull away so fast from the robots only to act like ducks and paddle the minute we have to start lane split :imaposer:

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 02:31:09 pm »

Tannie, maar ek doen dit dan. Generally if I do come up behind someone they move over 9/10 times.
Jy moet die Harley wobbles praat. Many of them refuse to move over.  But 9/10 Harley riders do not.

Dankie my seun  :mwink: yes most guys do pull over , but the ones that don't are really irritating they treat it like a chess game and continually block you , so controlling . Brings out the worst in me  :biggrin: >:D

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 02:32:10 pm »

Dankie my seun  :mwink: yes most guys do pull over , but the ones that don't are really irritating they treat it like a chess game and continually block you , so controlling . Brings out the worst in me  :biggrin: >:D

You need to learn how to wheelie the 1200...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 02:41:45 pm »

You need to learn how to wheelie the 1200...

Yes ...... ! :imaposer:

Offline haasdas

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 03:11:52 pm »
I did paragliding a while back.  The golden rule was : fly with a plan B in mind or  Never fly without a plan B.  It became my motto for most things, and is also the way I approach riding. If plan B is still executable in case of emergency, you should be fine. If not, you will learn a valuable lesson! :)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 03:13:30 pm »
I did paragliding a while back.  The golden rule was : fly with a plan B in mind or  Never fly without a plan B.  It became my motto for most things, and is also the way I approach riding. If plan B is still executable in case of emergency, you should be fine. If not, you will learn a valuable lesson! :)

Basic things that can make the difference.

Towards the top of my list are: Don't hover in blindspots and always have multiple exit strategies at any time...

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 06:33:14 pm »

Basic things that can make the difference.

Towards the top of my list are: Don't hover in blindspots and always have multiple exit strategies at any time...

Think "what if" fifty times a second......
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Naadus

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2011, 12:15:22 am »

Offline captain jack

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2011, 09:32:49 am »
Hey Hoofseun. That's a brilliant idea, well done. I would suggest maybe going to slow motion at the points where stuff is happening. I had to watch twice to catch the subscript and action.

That's just the stuff new bikers need to know.

Offline Gat Slag

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2011, 10:03:04 am »
Hoofseun, moerse idee van jou.  Meeste van ons leer maar op die harde manier, jy kan dalk meer as net kallers red hierdeur...

Nuwelinge tot die sport het sulke inligting brood nodig  :thumleft:

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2011, 11:27:39 am »
Hoofseun, moerse idee van jou.  Meeste van ons leer maar op die harde manier, jy kan dalk meer as net kallers red hierdeur...

Nuwelinge tot die sport het sulke inligting brood nodig  :thumleft:

I have been toying with the idea of riding with the Camera permanently running on the bike........... it can be set up to run a "loop"recording - in other words, it will record an hour of footage and then start again by over-writing............. without looking like a twatwaffle - the camera will be mounted on the bike itself.

There are massive benefits here...... Firstly if you have a particularly "interesting" ride.... you can review said footage in the comfort of your home and Secondly - IF there is an incident - the footage will be invaluable in determining who was at fault and also what exactly happened.
For the chaps that have all bought Cams - it's something to think about?

There was a girl some time back that recorded an accident - cannot remember where the longer version was, but I seem to remember something about the car's back wheel locking..... the evidence on the camera would be invaluable in similar cases...?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/G0eootaHR0Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/G0eootaHR0Q</a>

I firmly believe that in sharing experiences, we can all benefit from info that would enable safer riding!
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline DirtHound

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • If you don't know Jesus, don't die!
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2011, 11:34:02 am »
I've been looking for a while now for a camera with a loop function, but to no avail.

Goose, have you got any suggestions/brands/models for me please?
Previous bikes: '81 XR500;  CBR400 NC23;  '85 XR600;  '97 VTR1000;  '91 KDX200;  '85 XR600;  '97 XR600;  '01 XR650R;  '06 CTX200   :paw:
PE to Cape Town on the XR  |  XR Pigfest  |  Anniversary ride - Old Houw Hoek Pass

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2011, 11:37:53 am »
Great idea Hoofseun.  :thumleft:

I also agree that the norms of acceptable on-road behaviour has undergone an immense "transformation" over the last, what, 15 years.

The stuff we see everyday... hau. And now everyone is starting to drive the Hi-Ace way...
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2011, 11:48:20 am »
I've been looking for a while now for a camera with a loop function, but to no avail.

Goose, have you got any suggestions/brands/models for me please?

will do mate.............  I have to however consider certain member's who are vendors on this forum and would prefer not to step on their toes...   :thumleft:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline XL1000

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 07:33:54 am »

:imaposer: ja thats the worse  :laughing4:  some of those super bikes ( probably noobs  :mwink: ) that pull away so fast from the robots only to act like ducks and paddle the minute we have to start lane split :imaposer:

Today was my turn to loose my cool with a GS1200 rider on John Foster Road @ 06h45 this morning.
Guy pulls up next to me and Mr Ducatti, bullets away from the robot to beat myself and Mr Ducatti only to get stuck behind every 10th car because his a)Skill Set is weak and b) his bike is too big to fit between any car that happens to stray remotley close to the middle of the lane.
Jerk does not move over and at Beyers Naude I get to pass on the outside left lane and school him!

Just because I ride a "Sport Bike" in the week does not give a Dawg the right to Piss on me for it.

OK...Rant over, let's have a fantastic Monday shall we ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bring It On

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 07:52:00 am »

+100 :xxbah: :xxbah: :xxbah: :xxbah:
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline Shaun500

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2012, 08:08:16 am »
When I lane split I usualy do about 10 - 20 km/h faster than the traffic.  I feel uncomfortable going faster than that.  I pull over for the scooters and soopabikes and let them through.  One thing I have noticed is the ever increasing ammount of scooters riding at a moerse speed in the emergency lane.  That's farking dangerous IMO.  WTF!