Watercooled VS Oilcooled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
So the new 1200 Boxer engine will be water cooled. I understand that some dogs don't agree with this and prefer oil cooled bike engines specifically for dual sport riding. To be honest currently I'm not that much into dirt/gravel riding. I only got my GS a couple of months ago and do not feel competent yet to take the pig out to play in the dirt. I'll do that with my Honda XL500R anyday though. Will go for training course in due time to become more confident. Anyways, I for one do see some benefits in having an engine water cooled:

No worries about overheating be that when riding slowly, being in traffic, hot days, idling..etc.
Quicker warm up
More power since engine can be properly tuned
Quieter

So the Oil cooling also has its benefits:

Less that can go wrong..(radiator, water pump, hoses etc.)
Lighter engine maybe
Less maintenance
More surety about mechanical fidelity when on long trip

Please continue this discussion and convince me that the new boxer should remain oil cooled, also taking into account that most GS bikes are on tar most of the time..on average..maybe! I would think that BMW would be aware of the concerns about the new engine being water cooled and would use the best technology out there to make the radiators, water pumps etc - so that it will be reliable