Dakar dog-bones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tok-tokkie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
I found my Dakar a bit high and top heavy since I am a skinny rat.  I missed my footing twice and it capsized onto its side.  In the US there are longer suspension dog-bones available from Kouba which lower the bike by 25 or 50 mm.  I have a cnc machining centre and CAD/CAM so I made my own longer dog-bones.  I have lowered it by 25mm more or less.  Pushed the forks up through the triples till they just clear the handlebars so both the front & rear have been lowered the same amount thus no change to steering geometry (fractional decrease in wheelbase).  The ones I made have parallel sides because it is easier to clamp them when machining the second side.

The bearings are INA HK1812 drawn cup needle rollers, 24mm od x 18 wide for 10mm inner sleeve.  The seals are INA G18 24 3 which numbers refer to the ID, OD and width.  They are fitted with lips facing inwards to retain grease (as against outwards to exclude dirt).  I used a 17mm socket to press the bearings out & in with a 24mm socket as back-up into which the bearing fitted nicely.  The inner sleeve is BMW custom made but the bearings & seals will be available from INA bearings.

The bike is easier for me to manhandle now.  Have only ridden on tar & there is no difference to the ride.

New and Old
684491710_f813d7396e.jpg

Fitted
684491774_ce1e1af0a2.jpg