Jimbo’s Night Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
What do bikers do on a full moon night? Go riding naturally. Jim has a well developed sense for doing the unusual and why not go for a ride at night? It is dark would be a sensible answer. My curiosity was pricked. Arrived at his house at the unusual hour of 7:45pm for some early evening coffee.

After explanations and instructions was informed that it would be a good idea to darken ones front mud guard and the underside of ones helmet peek and to cover any bright instrument lights. Not the usual sort of issues one has to deal with which normally simply revolve around ensuring one has enough fuel. His advice was immediately obvious as ones headlight catches the front mudguard and reflects light up onto the underside of ones helmet peek almost blinding one - point taken.

Made another practical discovery. Why adventure bikes have mud guards low over the front wheel and not high up like dirt bikes. The mud guard casts a huge shadow for some distance in front of the front wheel. This forces one to look way ahead in the thrown light and the front of the bike becomes a black hole of nothingness.

Onto the ride and unusual would be an understatement. Not a soul out and about, noisy it is with the sounds of insects. Was lucky enough to see a Duiker and a rabbit.

The route was normal along dirt roads which I was exceptionally cautious on so as not to miss any hidden corner in the darkness. Reaction times became critical as rocks and obstacles appeared as if from nowhere. Jim rode with remarkable confidence and almost with the perception of having night vision. My strategy was to head straight for the faint red light from his bike and hold on for dear life.

To spice things up a little what about a rocky hill climb. The difficulty is that one cannot see directly in front of the bike. Ones senses become heightened and almost become one with the terrain feeling obstacles in the way and navigating around them.

The real reward is to see Johannesburg like I have never see it before – a city of lights and beautiful it is. Wonderful also not to be in the glaring heat of the sun and enjoyed the smells of night.

A ride right on my doorstep yet could have been on another planet. Thanks for the unusual opportunity.

Pictures
JimboMap.jpg

Jimbo018.jpg

Jimbo007.jpg

Jimbo004.jpg