Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Birds of South Africa  (Read 106674 times)

Offline blockheadxl650v

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: Birds of South Africa
« Reply #1460 on: April 23, 2020, 07:42:15 pm »
wow you are so lucky to have a bird of prey so close to you. We have them living in our business park but they are so high up you can't get a good look at them. A year or so ago I found one with a broken wing. He stayed with me for Saturday and Sunday until I could take him to that bird place at Spier wine estate. One thing that that struck me was the calmness and lack of fear that he showed unlike any other wild bird I have dealt with before.. He was also quite happy to eat steak from my hand after a few hours.

I hope he is still ok there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:58:00 pm by blockheadxl650v »

The following users thanked this post: RobLH

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #1461 on: April 24, 2020, 01:39:52 pm »
Question here from an absolute newby... How do you guys identify birds not known to you? Is there a type of database one could look through?

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk
I like using a book. Apps have failed us in the bush in the past, the batteries go and suddenly - boom no more info.
Also, browsing a book with a beer at night is more fun than using an app.
Most of the newer books have good identification keys in the front, but even so, be prepared to take some time over the raptors and little brown jobs.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline neil-ph

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #1462 on: April 24, 2020, 02:05:31 pm »
Question here from an absolute newby... How do you guys identify birds not known to you? Is there a type of database one could look through?

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Certain characteristics place the birds into particular groups. By identifying the shape of beak, or what they feed on etc will give a clearer indication of where to start looking in the books you choose. Great pastime.
Never hesitate to take that ride. Ride safe, ride often and ride far. The soul demands it.

All men die, but not all men live......

Offline Neo_za

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #1463 on: April 24, 2020, 03:19:36 pm »
Love birding.....can get very challenging when you get into the smaller birds and it becomes tricky due to the differences between male and female, mature and juvenile, breeding and non-breeding, etc. Then there is the eagles and other birds of prey which sometimes are really difficult to ID - many times from their feathers in flight. No so easy, but lekker. Highly recommended for a hobby.

Offline Zanie

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #1464 on: April 24, 2020, 06:31:42 pm »
wow you are so lucky to have a bird of prey so close to you. We have them living in our business park but they are so high up you can't get a good look at them. A year or so ago I found one with a broken wing. He stayed with me for Saturday and Sunday until I could take him to that bird place at Spier wine estate. One thing that that struck me was the calmness and lack of fear that he showed unlike any other wild bird I have dealt with before.. He was also quite happy to eat steak from my hand after a few hours.

In my previous home, we once had a goshawk inside the house and spotted all sorts of sparrowhawks, buzzards and harrier-hawks, but that was because we fed the pigeons, and the birds of prey like a pigeon snack. Now we are at the coast and it's relatively bleak, but there are kestrels and falcons in the area. They usually like the tall blocks of flats, but for some reason, this kestrel decided he's ok with double-storey height only.

The kestrel you helped looked like a real sweetie! It's odd how birds will sometimes be quite chill when they're ill. We used to feed the guinea fowl too and they were quite skittish, but one was sick, so she'd come begging. We eventually caught her and took her to a local bird vet.

The following users thanked this post: blockheadxl650v

Offline dual

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #1465 on: April 29, 2020, 04:51:54 pm »
Cape weaver (Kaapse wewer) in die saadvoerder wat ek gemaak het, hy kraai koning en jaag al wat 'n voŽl weg

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1466 on: May 03, 2020, 10:05:58 am »
African Olive Pigeon (Rameron Pigeon)
We have a pair that nest in our garden, didnt see them for about 2 years, but they are back!
Not a great pic - battery went flat after the 2nd shot.... >:(
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #1467 on: May 03, 2020, 11:38:07 am »
African Olive Pigeon (Rameron Pigeon)

Beautiful birds.  :thumleft:

Online dw1

« Reply #1468 on: May 05, 2020, 09:39:00 pm »
Blou valk
Black winged Kite
Current KTM 950 Adv, R80G/S x 2, TW200,  DR200 Djebel,, XR500R
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200,

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #1469 on: May 07, 2020, 12:27:41 pm »

In my previous home, we once had a goshawk inside the house and spotted all sorts of sparrowhawks, buzzards and harrier-hawks, but that was because we fed the pigeons, and the birds of prey like a pigeon snack. Now we are at the coast and it's relatively bleak, but there are kestrels and falcons in the area. They usually like the tall blocks of flats, but for some reason, this kestrel decided he's ok with double-storey height only.

The kestrel you helped looked like a real sweetie! It's odd how birds will sometimes be quite chill when they're ill. We used to feed the guinea fowl too and they were quite skittish, but one was sick, so she'd come begging. We eventually caught her and took her to a local bird vet.
The cat looks ready to pounce !
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Online dw1

« Reply #1470 on: May 10, 2020, 06:53:28 pm »
Jangroentjie enjoying some nectar from the Cape Honeysuckle. Winter is approaching when they appear.
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200,

Offline Neo_za

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #1471 on: May 10, 2020, 07:27:51 pm »
Stunning photo :thumleft: :thumleft:

Online dw1

« Reply #1472 on: May 10, 2020, 09:15:15 pm »
Here is another jangroentjie taking a bath this morning. note the unusual colours. I have never seen such colours before.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:54:50 pm by dw1 »

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #1473 on: May 11, 2020, 07:03:54 am »
Jangroentjie enjoying some nectar from the Cape Honeysuckle. Winter is approaching when they appear.

Beautiful.