Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Birds of South Africa  (Read 127396 times)

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
Re: Birds of South Africa
« Reply #1560 on: February 25, 2021, 04:42:50 am »
Thanks Leon! Unfortunately this is the only picture I have.

I don't think it's snails - we've lived in this house for a few years now and have never seen snails anywhere, ever. However, we have tons of frogs...

I've e-mailed the picture to the agriculture department at the local university, they help people with their gardening issues. Let's see if they can ID this. I'll let you know what they say.

It's not  a problem, we don't eat these oranges, they're way to sour. I'm just intrigued.  :)
I am also curious, please let us know what they say.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1561 on: February 25, 2021, 04:02:35 pm »
Ok, someone replied, and they're also baffled. They're now contacting some other people at different universities...  ;D

They also initially suggested a fungus, but it's definitely not a fungus. I found another orange like this, but still attached to the tree.

I'll keep you posted.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #1562 on: February 26, 2021, 06:45:50 pm »
Someone just got back to me and said it's highly likely to be roof rats. A woodpecker is possible but not very likely. They are continuing to investigate.  ;D

Offline dw1

« Reply #1563 on: March 27, 2021, 10:01:45 pm »
Look who's lurking
Paradise Fly Catcher. Beauty
Current KTM 950 Adv, R80G/S x 2, TW200,  DR200 Djebel,, XR500R
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200,

The following users thanked this post: Vintage_Mania

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #1564 on: March 28, 2021, 05:30:56 am »
Yesterday at Aloe farm

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #1565 on: March 28, 2021, 06:20:37 am »
Look who's lurking
Paradise Fly Catcher. Beauty

We got to see a lot of them in Marloth Park some weeks ago - they were following a group of Fork-tailed Drongos (Mikstertbyvangers) that was feasting on small flying ants exiting from a couple of nests.

In the second video, you can catch a glimpse of an African Paradise Flycatcher in the mix of the feast - at around 7sec.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #1566 on: March 28, 2021, 12:21:48 pm »
Beautiful Cut-Throat Finch in the garden this morning - not a great pic, still saving for a camera...
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline dw1

« Reply #1567 on: March 28, 2021, 07:20:21 pm »
That Finch is a beauty
Current KTM 950 Adv, R80G/S x 2, TW200,  DR200 Djebel,, XR500R
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200,

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #1568 on: March 31, 2021, 08:14:45 am »
I went and bought a better "mik-en-klik" for my garden critters.

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #1569 on: April 05, 2021, 08:21:08 am »
Blue Waxbill - Gewone Blousysie
African Firefinch (Blue-billed) - Kaapse Vuurvinkie
Red-headed Finch - Rooikopvink
Brown-Hooded Kingfisher (juvenile) - Bruinkopvisvanger
Crowned Lapwing - Kroonkiewiet
Gebasterde plot tarrentale met 'n klomp tieners

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #1570 on: April 05, 2021, 11:10:57 pm »
Hi VM. About that last photo of the guinea fowl. Aparently they go white like that if kept in captivity, and will then go sterile. Do you know if this lot was captive?
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #1571 on: April 06, 2021, 05:32:26 am »
Hi VM. About that last photo of the guinea fowl. Aparently they go white like that if kept in captivity, and will then go sterile. Do you know if this lot was captive?

These are on a family plot and are somewhat "tame" as they get some grain in the afternoons and are well aware of the afternoon treat, but they are not captive and have the run of the area beyond the plot border fencing.

Offline Karel84

« Reply #1572 on: April 16, 2021, 04:03:59 pm »
We've had a single barbet visit our garden every day for the last few weeks. Does anyone know if there's something I can do to make the guy more at home?

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #1573 on: April 16, 2021, 06:52:47 pm »
We've had a single barbet visit our garden every day for the last few weeks. Does anyone know if there's something I can do to make the guy more at home?

Not really. Breeding season is over. They use dead branches of trees to make holes for nesting.

Depending on which barbet is visiting, you could put some fruit or suet out but is also likely to attract those pesky vervets. Nail an apple or orange half to a tree trunk and see what happens.

Get yourself a cut off length of palm trunk or wild banana and tie it to a sheltered spot in the garden for next season. Pre-drill a small hole to encourage them to start the process.   

Offline Karel84

« Reply #1574 on: April 16, 2021, 09:43:21 pm »

Get yourself a cut off length of palm trunk or wild banana and tie it to a sheltered spot in the garden for next season. Pre-drill a small hole to encourage them to start the process.   

I'll definitely do that, thanks. Palm or banana, is that just because they're softer, or is that what the Barbets are after?

Haven't got a clear enough pic, but I'm pretty sure it's a Crested Barbet.

I'll put a fruit out tomorrow and wait patiently with my paintball gun for the mynahs to arrive

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • You want my what??
« Reply #1575 on: April 17, 2021, 06:39:10 am »

Palm or banana, is that just because they're softer, or is that what the Barbets are after?

Haven't got a clear enough pic, but I'm pretty sure it's a Crested Barbet.

I'll put a fruit out tomorrow and wait patiently with my paintball gun for the mynahs to arrive

Just because they're easier to make a hole into. I think some of the nurseries should stock sisal logs as well.

If it's a Crested barbet then they quite often feed on the ground grabbing insects and garden snails.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #1576 on: April 17, 2021, 06:10:31 pm »
The Crowned Lapwing I know as Crowned Plover.  Kiewiet in both cases.
Here in the Cape Peninsular area they used to be common.  On all the golf courses & most school playing fields.  Up until around 2000. Now they are gone.  I believe it is the Pied Crows that have increased in numbers dramatically who have taken the eggs & chicks.  Blacksmith Plovers mob the crows when they approach so they have not been affected.  I live within sight of the Green Point Common.  When I moved here you heard the Crowned Plovers on moonlight nights but no more.  I am really sad they have gone.

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • You want my what??
« Reply #1577 on: April 17, 2021, 06:26:24 pm »
The Crowned Lapwing I know as Crowned Plover.  Kiewiet in both cases.
Here in the Cape Peninsular area they used to be common.  On all the golf courses & most school playing fields.  Up until around 2000. Now they are gone.  I believe it is the Pied Crows that have increased in numbers dramatically who have taken the eggs & chicks.  Blacksmith Plovers mob the crows when they approach so they have not been affected.  I live within sight of the Green Point Common.  When I moved here you heard the Crowned Plovers on moonlight nights but no more.  I am really sad they have gone.

Very sad.

There is a Cape vulture colony nesting spot in Oribi Gorge area on the South Coast. The White -necked ravens actually try to force the rather docile vultures off their nests to get at the eggs. 

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #1578 on: April 18, 2021, 07:05:08 am »
The Pied Crow I only ever saw down by the coast and in North, West and East Cape provinces, but they have started to roam on some open fields in GP, something that was very scarce not 5 years ago. I hope they do not have the same destructive outcome here as I have heard of from the Cape provinces.

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • You want my what??
« Reply #1579 on: April 18, 2021, 07:28:56 am »
The Pied Crow I only ever saw down by the coast and in North, West and East Cape provinces, but they have started to roam on some open fields in GP, something that was very scarce not 5 years ago. I hope they do not have the same destructive outcome here as I have heard of from the Cape provinces.

I think they really flourished in the Karoo with all the roadkill.

Lockdown must have presented some challenges and being so intelligent they would be targeting any other source of food which has a devastating effect on the local wildlife/birdlife.

Some years ago I was in Djibouti for a few months and saw how the House crows had taken over.

I was sitting at breakfast in the hotel when a group of them rousted a nightjar and had it cornered against the windows. I dashed out, popped it in my hat and finished my meal much to the amusement of the staff and guests.

Dropped it off in a quiet spot later on the way to work.