Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Birds of South Africa  (Read 146041 times)

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DL650 - The Magic Touch
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
Re: Birds of South Africa
« Reply #240 on: October 08, 2012, 08:19:46 pm »
What I can afford  :P
But it's a nice one actually, it's a Kodak Z910 or something like that. Takes very nice photos, but only if your subject will sit still for more than 3 seconds. Birds, I find, do not fall into this category.
Sometimes I get lucky and get a nice shot, but not often.
Strangely, the camera seems to be perfect for the bat photography that we do in old mines and caves. Strange but true.
Ride reports, books and more on my website.
http://www.leondekock.com/
Building Plans - A Concise reference
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1093937
https://books.apple.com/us/book/x/id1576543716

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #241 on: October 10, 2012, 06:03:35 am »
Taken from my office window --

Rain Bird as some know it -- Burchell's Cougal

People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Kobus

• RPMods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
« Reply #242 on: October 10, 2012, 02:01:52 pm »
Wat is die meervoud van Hoopoe.

.................. sorry

Dream like you will live forever, live like you're going to die tomorrow

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #243 on: October 10, 2012, 02:19:51 pm »
But it's a nice one actually, it's a Kodak Z910 or something like that. Takes very nice photos, but only if your subject will sit still for more than 3 seconds. Birds, I find, do not fall into this category.
Strangely, the camera seems to be perfect for the bat photography that we do in old mines and caves. Strange but true.

One thing you need to know Leon -- the BEST Camera -- is the one in your hand when you want to take a pic. Many of my pics are taken with a --MIK EN DRUK  ::)

The best thing i ever did was go on some Photographic workshops and learn what works and what not --

Money worth spent and some of these courses are only R350 for the morning
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #244 on: October 10, 2012, 02:22:37 pm »

One thing you need to know Leon -- the BEST Camera -- is the one in your hand when you want to take a pic. Many of my pics are taken with a --MIK EN DRUK  ::)

The best thing i ever did was go on some Photographic workshops and learn what works and what not --

Which course did you do Blazes - I am interested?
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Legadema

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #245 on: October 10, 2012, 02:48:08 pm »

Yip 100%, but having the right equipment makes it so much easier. (Some okes still rides Husqvarna)

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #246 on: October 10, 2012, 07:30:18 pm »

Which course did you do Blazes - I am interested?

Photographic Practical Workshop

Norma Pearman - FPSSA

Derek Pearman - Hon. FPSSA

We teach you photography with YOUR camera...

Email: photoman@lantic.net

Cell: 083 274 3781

Tel / Fax: 011 391 5191

Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #247 on: October 10, 2012, 07:43:43 pm »

Yip 100%, but having the right equipment makes it so much easier. (Some okes still rides Husqvarna)

Not true  ??? Seen guys with camera's over R100k upwards who cant take pics to save their arse --beleive a camera should be in --Automatic mode --should be shot for that on those camera's..

Same goes for some peeps who think the have the best bikes and can't ride to save their arse. Although they think with the right equipment they can hehe --Not True  :peepwall:
Current Scooters --

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #248 on: October 11, 2012, 06:32:22 am »

Not true  ??? Seen guys with camera's over R100k upwards who cant take pics to save their arse --beleive a camera should be in --Automatic mode --should be shot for that on those camera's..

Same goes for some peeps who think the have the best bikes and can't ride to save their arse. Although they think with the right equipment they can hehe --Not True  :peepwall:

I recently read an on-line photo tutorial by an American photographer, who said the best camara is the one you have and the correct lense is the one you have on the camera. You then design the shot around what you have and his work is pretty damn good! He also advocates 1 camera and 1 lens to carry around - nothing more....

Thanks Blazes - I will givethem a call, see if I can arrange a few people to go with me!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Legadema

• Race Dog
« Reply #249 on: October 11, 2012, 06:47:48 am »

hehe  :thumleft:

Offline Legadema

• Race Dog
« Reply #250 on: October 12, 2012, 08:49:46 am »
Gisteraand  - Paarl se riool damme.
HoepHoep
Namakwaduif
Bleshoender

Offline Legadema

• Race Dog
« Reply #251 on: October 12, 2012, 09:04:01 am »
Enige iemand help?
Water Dikkop ?

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #252 on: October 12, 2012, 09:10:16 am »
Yip!

Offline Kobus

• RPMods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
« Reply #253 on: October 12, 2012, 03:19:27 pm »
Blazes, what lens are you using there? The normal 70-300?
Dream like you will live forever, live like you're going to die tomorrow

Offline Cave Girl

« Reply #254 on: October 12, 2012, 03:30:21 pm »
[One thing you need to know Leon -- the BEST Camera -- is the one in your hand when you want to take a pic. Many of my pics are taken with a --MIK EN DRUK  ::)

[/quote]

Have to agree with you Blazes - My uncle who is  a proffessor of Photography and has done some really great stuff for national geographic says the same - a few of his award winning photo's have been doen on his daughters throw-away camera's.

Like a Bat .... have a unique vision to search SUCCESS in the DARK -

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2012, 05:20:37 pm »
Blazes, what lens are you using there? The normal 70-300?

I am using my 28 -300 most of the time --will only use my macro and wide angle for dedicated shots -- find the 28 - 300 works well as a all rounder --not the sharpest at some settings but gets the job done ok --
Current Scooters --

Offline Beltzer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #256 on: October 12, 2012, 10:15:02 pm »
Legadema, those are beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing!  :thumleft:
Wolmerboom Suid

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
« Reply #257 on: October 26, 2012, 08:07:09 am »
We had a trip to Kruger last week. The rain, although it made for great game viewing, made it difficult to take pictures, but here are some of the shots we got.
This first one is a giant kingfisher at Crocodile bridge. I think he's resident there, because I've seen one at exactly the same spot on the old bridge.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
« Reply #258 on: October 26, 2012, 08:12:19 am »
Mmm wait. I see my pictures need a bit more work, if I just resize the picture the actual birds become too small. Will have to take some time and do some cropping instead.  :P

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
« Reply #259 on: October 26, 2012, 08:37:49 am »
Right, the giant kingfisher again.