Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rides, Reflections and Repairs Year end bash via Namibia  (Read 3724 times)

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
Re: Rides, Reflections and Repairs Year end bash via Namibia
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2011, 06:35:06 pm »
Day 13
Verneuk pan to Postmasburg

Our original plan was to spend a night camping in the ghost town of Putsonderwater, but because we are a day behind schedule we decide to head straight through Putsonderwater with only a stop for coffee and make up the days riding to Postmasburg.
When we get up in the morning the wind has died down, and we are faced with a pleasant day.

We quickly pack up camp and then take the bikes out to the bell for some more photos, then head out of the camp.

Here were faced with a problem, as we havent paid for our camping yet and we dont want to waste the time riding to the reception. We leave some money in the tyre, and when we get to the tar road CG tries to call the reception but gets no answer, so she leaves a message on the voice mail.
The road out of the pan is a pleasure to ride without the wind, and we quickly find ourselves on the main dirtroad. Id decided to change our route, so firstly we head back to Kenhardt and then turn to Putsonderwater. CG has been dreading this road because the last time she was on her way to Putsonderwater the roads were in a very bad condition. (That was during the Boegoeberg bash two years back).

The road from Kenhardt to Putsonderwater is in excellent condition though, and in no time at all we are making a cup of coffee in the ghost town, on the patio of one of the unused houses. Its my first time in a ghost town, and seeing the empty buildings is as spooky as the words ghost town implies.

This guy was eating lunch. We were wondering if hed simply stuck his neck into the big can of food he was sitting on.

Topping up the oil again

But after coffee we head out for Postmasburg.

Id done a lot of research on our route, and the sleepy little village of Postmasburg seemed like a great location. There were a few B&Bs, a campsite and hotel, and not much else. On the way there things look a bit odd though. The road is not a simple dirt road, but is well maintained, and I see a lot of mining vehicles in the area. On approaching the town there is a massive new extention of grand (although fake) Tuscan houses going up.
We take a quick pic of the bikes at a town marker and head up the first tarred road we can find. Coming over a little rise I see a sight that no biker wants to see ahead of me, lying horizontal in the road, is a dirt bike. I drop a gear and race to the bike, where the owner is rolling around next to the road in obvious pain. His friend is standing over him, obviously very concerned. It turns out to be a wheellie gone wrong, and after making sure that the guy is just bruised and not dying I feed him some painpills and we take our leave.
Now our own trouble starts. We quickly find out that both the hotel and motel is filled with no spare place. We try the municipal camp site, but its a bug infested piece of land right next to a swamp, where the ablutions are long past their sell by date and almost non existant. Every B&B in town and in the surrounding area is booked full.
It turns out that three new iron mines had recently opened up around the town, and every spare bed in town is being taken up by a contractor of some sorts. Its now late, almost dark, and wed gone a long way that day. After speaking to some of the inhabitants of the municipal campsite we decide to bed down there for the night. If we can camp in the wilderness in Namibia, we should be able to hold out for one night in this campsite, we tell ourselves.
Leaving me to pitch the tent and sort out camp, CG heads off to buy supplies for a braai. I chat to some of the other camping denizens, who turn out to be extremely friendly Namakwalanders. Lekker people, and after I convince little Martin to sit on my bike while I take photies of him I start to relax a little. Theres few things that gets me like the excitement of the little ones when they get given a chance to sit on the big bike!

After a while though, I notice that CG is taking longer than usual to get back. After almost an hour Im starting to get really concerned, and Im just considering giving her a call when she comes into the campsite by pushing her bike.
I hurry over and push the bike the final few meters to our possy. It turns out the bike had started with its trouble again, and had finally died just up the road. I try for a while to revive the bike, but soon realize Im wasting my time.
We consider our position. We are on the homeward stretch of our trip, with only two days riding to go, and all the time were heading home. CG calls her backup company again, and after a few discussions and a bit of negotiating we arrange to have the bike traillered to Vryburg. Sadly, our riding together has now come to an end, as we realize that the next two days will be all about getting the sick bike back home.

Although our situation that night is a bit bleak, we still enjoy the company of the Namakwalanders, and we have good food to eat, so we enjoy our last night camping.

Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2011, 05:06:30 pm »
Day 14
Postmasburg to Vryburg
There is really not much to be said about this day except that it was not a pleasant day. At nine sharp a guy named Tiger comes to pick up CG and her bike. Hes a massive but friendly guy, and the bike is quickly loaded on the van and secured, and they head out to Vryburg.

Having learned her lesson about accomodation in Vryburg, CG phones her daughter Pebbles to arrange a sleeping place in Vryburg, so by the time she gets there they go straight to the B&B and unload.
I myself have a false start when I leave town only to realize I need fuel so I have to turn back. Then when I hit the road its filled with cars, trucks and one stop and go after the other.

It was my own decision to forgo the gravel route in the hope of getting to Vryburg early in the hope that I could perhaps ride through to Coligney to pick up the trailler, but it was not to be.

By the time I hit Vryburg Im hot, bothered and not really in a good mood, and it takes a beer and a shower to cool me down a bit, and by then Im not going anywhere.
When its cooled down a bit we walk to the shop and get some supplies, and then we get down to some serious kuiering and kakpraat around a fire. Once again, we make the best of a bad situation, and spend a lovely evening together.

Day 15
I head out of Vryburg to Coligney and immediately a strong crosswind slows me down to a crawl. After being blown into the oncomming lane at least twice I decide to rather play it safe and drop my speed right down, and it takes me four hours to ride the two hundred kilos to Coligny, which is mercifully stop and go free.

In Coligny Slakkie is waiting for me and helps me load my bike, gives me coffee and listens while I try to tell him about all our adventures. Then I hit the road back to Vryburg to pick up CG. She, in the meantime, had decided that were going to spend the night at the B&B again, so that I would not have to ride home that day. Its a wonderful decision, and once again we source some great supplies for a braai and, now that its our last night on the road, we kuier deep into the night.

The next morning there is nothing left for us to do but to pack our stuff into the car and head home, with a fantastic trip and a massive adventure behind us that we are still trying to tell all who will listen.

Some stats
The trip was, give or take, about 4000 kilometers.
Punctures two. Of which one was self inflicted.
Breakdowns Six of which one was self inflicted.
Wimpy food and drinks consumed ZERO.

Were still trying to find out what is wrong with CGs bike, because its an intermittant fault and will go away for a whole thousand kilometers before returning.
My own bike though performed flawlessly. At one stage I lost the gears because the tensioner on the clutch cable had worked itself loose, but that was no great issue. I really hope my bike will last me for many years to come, because its a bike that I know very well, its easy to work on and simple to understand.

Thanks for once again sharing a great experience with us now please get out there and have some of your own!

terminator1

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2011, 05:13:06 pm »
jus okes, what an amazing trip! Love the pics and narrative. Jealous.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2011, 05:31:49 pm »
Packing

We took a lot of care in deciding what was going to come on this trip and what was going to stay, and in the end very few luxuries accompanied us.
The one thing that could really have stayed at home was the dried food we took with us. Wherever we went, there were either a shop at or near to the place where we camped, or there was a town en route to where we would camp that night. So next time we will only take one emergency meal. (A tin of Pink Salmon if I know CG).
Even CG took only minimal clothes, and she ended up doing most of the washing up of clothes every night. When it turned un expectedly cold we did stop at a shop so she could buy a warmer top.
Our bedding consisted of a blue high density foam mattress for me, and both a high density foam mattress and a blow up mattress for CG. We each had a sleeping bag, and CG had a sleeping bag inner that was a bit strange, because some nights I would be freezing and use the inner while CG was fine, and other nights CG would be freezing and use the inner while I was fine. A luxury here was the sheet to cover the mattresses and a fleece. Mind you, having to ride a whole day after a bad nights sleep is not nice, so maybe the extra bedding should not be seen as luxuries.
And absolute necessity were the pillows. After our last trip I vowed not to tour without one again, and CG made us small pillows just for this trip an absolute must have.
We also took the bat detector and a scorpion light because we both like looking for critters, and I took my jewellers loupe. I sent my jewellers loupe back with the stuff that went back with Jules though, deciding that any rocks I collected I could study at home.

Knowing that we were going to have the bash in the middle of the tour meant that we could ask someone with a car to take a clean set of everything down for us. Jules had said he was going to trailer to the bash site, and very kindly took a full change of clothes, some bike spares (air filters) and other stuff down for us. Thanks Jules, it was much appreciated.

We also took two tents on the ride, so that we could sleep in one tent and stuff all our luggage into the other tent, but we only ever used the second tent one night, so that also went home with Jules. It just takes too much time and effort to put up an extra tent at night, which then have to be folded up again in the morning.

We did take two of those little fold up chairs, and these were used extensively. Yes they are a luxury, but the comfort that they give while camping makes them worth taking along.

Offline Cave Girl

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2011, 05:46:23 pm »
Nothing I can add - thanks once again LD for doing the report  :)
Even on days when you don't have the time or the energy, you are still the centre of your pet's world!
Avatar pic courtesy of Gerhard du Preez!!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2011, 05:57:37 pm »
Great trip you had LD and CG. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline africanSky

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 05:59:45 pm »
Awesome trip and RR, thks for  sharing :thumleft:

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2011, 06:12:47 pm »
Thanks all, and a special thanks to those that helped with the planning of the whole thing. ChrisL, Ama Ride Ride, LuckyStricker, Mother, Jules and everyone else that whose name should be here but that I might be forgetting.
The input you gave on the planning thread was great.

Offline HB 9

• Bike: BMW R1100GS
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2011, 06:20:36 pm »
Thank you for sharing! It just shows that one is responsible for your own adventures.
Excellent trip!
Tread lightly

Offline Crab

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2011, 09:07:19 pm »
Excellent RR, I have really enjoyed reading it.
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline BabyBeemer

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2011, 09:25:05 pm »
Nice trip and RR - and even better shared.

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25:07 pm »
Great trip and report  :thumleft:
Well done
Thanks for sharing
Rallye

Offline frans1

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Lewe elke dag voluit!
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2012, 08:51:55 pm »
Hi great trip and thanks for shearing it with us!!!!
BMW 1200GSA (What a Machine!!!)
BMW R100RS (Busy with the repairs)
BMW 1200GS (Love the bike)
WR 450 Yamaha (Sold)
Yamaha 500 XT (Sold) Yamaha 175 DT (Sold) Honda 90 cc (Gave it away)

Offline wolfman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 12:21:02 pm »
Awesome trip LD & CG. Very impressed with CG's riding skills in the Richtersveld! Thanks for sharing

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 12:43:24 pm »
Thanks for the wonderful report :thumleft:
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline XXL

• Bike: Piaggio (all models)
  • I am Blessed
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 05:50:51 am »
Very nice RR. Thanks

Offline Swift

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 08:05:42 am »
Hi Guys, nice RR, thanks for sharing. Makes me look worward to mine in April.
There will be no peace without justice..

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2019, 07:33:16 am »
@SydneyAds . Adam check this route and Report from Leon
Where are my shorts??

The following users thanked this post: SydneyAds

Offline SydneyAds

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2019, 08:51:11 am »
@SydneyAds . Adam check this route and Report from Leon