Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What Malaria Pills to take when riding in Moz?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Rascal

Re: What Malaria Pills to take when riding in Moz?
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 07:13:56 am »
Malanil seems the best, but also not nice spending R1000 on meds. Guess its worth it, Malanil is also ok for scuba diving, so rather take that in case you take a unforseen scuba dive, not nice if you took other meds and wont be able to do the fun stuff once you there.

Offline Three Dawg

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1100GS
  • Foreign Dog
    • Our Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 11:55:09 am »
Dunno if the brand name is different to where you are, but I'm just finishing off my course of malaria pills- they're called Malarone here in the UK.  Start a day or two before entering a malaria area and take for 5 days or so after leaving.  No side effects that I can detect.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 10:34:14 pm »
I hope you guys know these tablets are NOT good for your liver and kidneys. Frankly I agree with everything AgentK said, you dont need the tablets. I only got it once because I allowed myself to be bitten; I did not  take the precautions). We knew it was malaria within a couple of hours of the symptoms developing and comformed with a quick blood test.  It was sorted with with the cocktail (coartem + something for the local resistance) of 6 tablets over one day. The key is to have the meds for if you get it (availible at any pharmacy in a malaria area) and to be able to test for it (most clinics in malaria areas can quickly do this and treat you with the right cocktail of drugs). Remember also that malaria ia increasingly resistant to the preventative drugs anyway, so even if you take the preventatives, you will get malaria! Thats why the best is to prevent/minimize the chances of being bitten and have a cocktail to take if your feeling off. Finally not taking the preventatives helps you ID the symptoms a lot easier.

Neil :paw:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Rockchucker

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 05:18:44 pm »
All post  are right , Remember Malaria will and can kill you quicky. I always take Malanil when in Moz . I have been fishing in Moz since 1996  . Very pricy but!! what is my life worth. Its the best.. no side affects and safe.
Also VI the mozzie catches the malaria from a local WITH malaria , therefore the populated areas are more ricky!!

Dont worry to much !!  but any Flu like symptons GET tested quickly VERY quickly 
Have a great time 
Ish!! I love this sport

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 10:09:19 pm »
All post  are right , Remember Malaria will and can kill you quicky. I always take Malanil when in Moz . I have been fishing in Moz since 1996  . Very pricy but!! what is my life worth. Its the best.. no side affects and safe.
Also VI the mozzie catches the malaria from a local WITH malaria , therefore the populated areas are more ricky!!

Dont worry to much !!  but any Flu like symptons GET tested quickly VERY quickly 
Have a great time 
i always carry the test kit with me...some say it only tests for some strains...(there is another thread on this) but its better than nothing when you are in the middle of nowhere and doctors are far away..also carry some muti for the cure...after testing...that makes you really feel sick...

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Geotraveller

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 01:21:54 pm »
It's been raining hard the last few days in Moz, so the puddles are starting to form and the little buggers are breeding. malaria cases will sky rocket. Bring your pills but also remember the little buggers strike at dusk and dawn. So wear longs and long sleeves. Spray or smear peacfull Sleep or Mylol. Sleep under a Mozzie net. Turn on the fan or air conditioner of sleep in a tent.

Buy some coartem....treats the symptome when your drugs fail...and they do. Doxy is a broad spectrum anti biotic and that can fail if used over long periods of time. Two symptoms of over use of Doxy is staining of your teeth and photophobia.

I have spent the year in Moz and had it twice. I take nothing. use the Coartem when it hits.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:35:27 am by Geotraveller »

Offline Laban

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • "Ride my own Ride"
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 06:51:07 am »
HEALTH BULLETIN
MALARIA
Recently an employee of a contractor died as a result of malaria.
Please be reminded that we all live and work in a location that has Malaria and the
potential to contract malaria is always present.
This serves as a reminder to take all the precautions to prevent Malaria.
PRECAUTIONS:
1. Chemoprophylaxis
 Malarone
 Doxycyclin
 Mephaquin
Please note: chemoprophylaxis is not 100% effective and people who take
antimalarial medicine should still be alert for symptoms of the disease.
2. Wear light colored clothing that covers most of the body (long sleeves and
long pants
3. Use insect repellant that contains DEET (adult preparations should be 30 to
35%)
4. Use insect spray, mosquito coils or electric pads in your room
5. Unless you are staying in air-conditioned, well-screened accommodations,
consider using a bed net impregnated with permethrin
SYMPTOMS:
 “Flu like”
 Head/body aches
 General fatigue
 Fever
 Sweating
 Shaking (rigors)
 Chills
 Nausea
 Vomiting
 Diarrhea
 Jaundice
Seek medical help quickly if you develop symptoms. If you present with symptoms
back home, please notify your medical practitioner that you have been in a malaria
area. Do not wait days to seek help if you are not feeling well.

I'm working in Soyo, Angola, this is a reality, take care!!
..."sometimes the people around you won't understand your journey, they don't need to, it's not for them"...Joubert Botha

...tie my own bootlaces…

Offline PierreO

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 07:34:46 am »

Have a great time 

Something I also learned a few weeks ago in Madagascar . If you got to an area that is unpopulated then you will not find a malaria infected mosquito . We are the carrier of the parasite , the poor mosquito gets infected when it bites a human and so transmit it . Been working in Sub-sahara Africa for the last 15 years and don't take any anti-mozzie shit . Does not go well with booze !

Offline Moonhicken

• Pack Dog
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 10:10:06 am »
Hehehe Yeah, rather stick to booze only!! Gin & Tonic!! ;-p
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:27:29 am by Moonhicken »
Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Giepie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Life's the gift, use it or loose it!
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 04:08:29 pm »
Just check with your medical aid and travel insurance.  Some won't pay if you didn't take pills.

On the 4x4 forums this one of the most heated subjects. Doctors and medical personell MUST prescibe it, otherwise they can be taken to court for negligence.  Those who are in malaria areas often tend not to use it due to the side effects.

DON'T GET BITTEN!! Even on prophilaxis you can get malaria.  Seen it happen.

Had it, got it in Malawi.  Didn't use pills.  Went for tests as soon as I felt sick then got booked in at the hospital.  The doctor there was not sympathetic, but it's his problem.  Was on quinine-sulphate and a drip for 3 days. No effects since then.
Giepie

Offline odendaal56

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 06:04:13 pm »
guys dont go to moz without mefliam, u will not make it to hospital ---DO NOT take mefliam if u use any other psycotropic drugs like antidepressants and anti-epeleptics etc,, take malanil if u cant take mefliam (malanil gives best protection) world health org does not want us to use doxyciles cause its used for treatment as well en we are worried about resistance to the drug in future--use only if malanil and mefliam is out of question--- if u feel fever come on do a test or take co-artem or fansidar or keep the doxy handy -this will get u to hospital ---moz has the falciparum stain mostly and VERY dangerous
enjoy trip and take citronella camping soap with-can even wash hair with it --good stuff
kobus