Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: register a motorbike in SA  (Read 2774 times)

Offline yANNIS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPTHJ8BbB8
register a motorbike in SA
« on: November 18, 2011, 04:53:03 pm »
hi everybody

i'll come in SA as soon as possible, once i know how to buy a motorbike (800 gs) and register it to my name... the problem is, that i'm french and have no adress in SA...so?
if somebody can tell me more and help me.

see you

thanks

j

http://americadelsur2010moto.centerblog.net/
http://toubab-tour2008.rmc.fr/

Offline Metaljockey

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
Re: register a motorbike in SA
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 10:38:46 am »
Buying and registering a vehicle RSA by a foreigner is not a problem.

You must just be able to produce your identity document and show that you are legally in the country, your passport should be enough.

There is no system of physically verifying addresses so you can basically make one up if you need to.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 10:54:23 am »
As MJ said, just use the place you stay as address, they can even supply you with a letter.

Offline yANNIS

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:49:33 am »
thanks a lot, if it's so easy...let's go!

i'll be in Joahnesbourg biginning of december(normaly arrive the 6 at 11.20am)

If someone want to sell his bike (BMW, 1200 or 800 gs,... 660 tenere) i'm interesting

see you

jean

jmadventure@hotmail.fr
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:56:49 pm by yANNIS »

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 10:44:00 am »
have a look in the for sale section of this website, there are a few bikes for sale. You can also try websites like gumtree and carfind to search for bikes but I would rather buy off this site as you know you will be getting an honest sale.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline yANNIS

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 12:20:50 pm »
yes, i know gumtree..very interesting, and cheaper than europe! (it's depend the motorbike).
thankyou

Offline Schlowy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Leave Nothing To Chance
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 01:02:09 pm »
Not to offend any body above ....but from  my personal  experience when just arrive to SA few years ago  you can not register a motor vehicle in SA with out a traffic register ,i.e. you will have to register your self first and get a no. ,only then they will agree to pass it to your name . it is not a long process but take in consideration spending a all day there ...

Offline yANNIS

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 07:33:28 pm »
i found my bike... 1200 tenere, praticaly new
but i can't register it to my name because i have no work permit!!! looking for a solution.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:38:29 pm by yANNIS »

Offline madmax

• Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 07:59:00 pm »
surely if you plan to leave country with it i.e. export... then should not be a problem ?

i am seeing a friend saterday..let me chat to him cos he had a tourist staying with him who bought a land cruiser to go through africa
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:00:31 pm by madmax »
fornicate the proletariat

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 11:18:19 pm »
A black Super Ten ? ??? That is not a standard colour, that bike has been resprayed !  :3some: Check to see that all is ok with it and that you know what you are getting !  :deal:

Other than that, enjoy and good luck !  :thumleft:
Quote from: buzzlightyear
"Does your ass not get jealous of all the crap that comes out of your mouth?" 

Put brain into gear before opening mouth !   Believe it, cos its true !     Yamaha IT 200; Kawasaki KLE 500 The Ox Wagon  

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 07:04:26 pm »
Yannis
  If you are still looking to register your bike in SA it can be done, Tom from USA did it but took a few days to find the right person that knew how to do it.  Send me a PM and I will get you his email address.  He did not have a work permit, just a tourist visa
Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Online JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 08:05:24 pm »
You do not need a work permit - trust me

As a non RSA citizen all you need to do is apply for a traffic register number (free and issued on the spot) and then register the bike in your name

Application for traffic register number (double sided white form) and Application for vehicle registration (double sided blue form) can be got from any vehicle license office

You will need two ID / passport photos and your passport to apply for traffic register number

You will also need valid roadworthy certificate to register vehicle in your name and renew the license disc (road tax) for the next 12 months
The older I get the faster I was

Offline thecanoeguy

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Just a Yobbo from Oz
    • murrayrivercanoehire
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 03:23:08 pm »
i read this info and just tried to get one of these ID numbers and register the bike and they said i must have a work visa ,i am in bethlehem and the woman behind the counter would not have it any other way ,i just went to the government web site and it does not mention anythin g about work visa ,just a valid visa for the country ,must depend on who you get

Offline thecanoeguy

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Just a Yobbo from Oz
    • murrayrivercanoehire
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 07:55:34 pm »
i have an update for future reference,i made about 5 phone calls today, got the run around with 5 differnt answers , they just make it up as they go, i went back to the office ,met with the boss , and he just got me to get an avidavite saying i was a tourist and i had to have an address and proof of staying there,  they issued me the traffic number and transferred the registration into my name ,the original woman that knocked me back had steam coming out her ears so i guess you need to be patient and try
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:24:55 am by thecanoeguy »

Offline Stanley from Oz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 09:25:03 am »
Thanks for the update 'thecanoeguy'. I plan to be in SA next year and to buy a bike so this information is really good. :wave:

Offline thruxton88

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 07:37:09 am »
Anyone use a hostel address to get the TRN? I don't know anybody in SA and struggling to come up with a proof of residence.

Thanks,
Zo

Offline Stanley from Oz

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 09:52:58 am »
Hi, this is an update for a non RSA citizen applying for a traffic registration number. I’ve just completed the process and whilst some of the information is correct there was a lot that was different.
I applied in Johannesburg, at the Marlboro traffic licensing office. I found  that only a few of the listed licensing officers did traffic registration and Marlboro  was the closest to were I was staying. From my experience, applying at another office or in another city may well be different .
The basic information in regards the forms you need is correct although the forms ‘request for police clearance’ and ‘request for police identification’, were impossible to get. I tried in two police stations and they had never heard of them and that included the station captains.
So for me to get a traffic registration number, I needed the form ‘Notice for traffic register number’ (form ANR- white, double sided) from the vehicle licensing office. To complete the form I needed two passport/ID photos and to show an address. The receipt from the quest house I was staying at was rejected outright.I had to get a Sworn Affidavit from a police station, but the affidavit had to be done by the owner of the quest house. They had to submit original documentation that this was their address and that I was staying there. So I had to get the guest house owner to come to the police station, with their documentation and make out a sworn affidavit. With this affidavit and a certified copy of their documentation, I was able to take these and my white form to the traffic licensing office.
If I just wanted a registration number, my application was going to take four days to process. If I submitted this form with an application for vehicle registration (so after I had bought a bike) both forms could be processed that day (in fact it took two hours). Also I had to get a new roadworthy certificate (R350) to complete the registration.I did this at a latter date, but it meant an additional visit to the vehicle licensing office.
I was told, and found in practice that going to the licensing office in the morning there were long queues but going there after lunch , the place was almost empty.
The whole process took me four days and a number of visits to the vehicle licensing office. A bit of a pain when I didn’t have my own transport so had to rely on taxis.
Hopefully, the above information, correct as of August 2014, might help someone to complete the process with reduced hassle and perhaps a little quicker than it took me.
Cheers 8)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 09:59:41 am »
Glad you got sorted mate  :thumleft:

You going to keep us updated about your vist and trip with the bike?  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Stanley from Oz

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 10:08:06 am »
Hi Zog, I just spent the last hour updating my planned trip but just as I was about to send, my internet connection stopped and I lost the whole thing. I will rewrite, but just need to get the energy to do it again. Once I've posted the update, I'll start a new post on my trip.
cheers

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 10:31:56 am »
Hi Zog, I just spent the last hour updating my planned trip but just as I was about to send, my internet connection stopped and I lost the whole thing. I will rewrite, but just need to get the energy to do it again. Once I've posted the update, I'll start a new post on my trip.
cheers

*Aussie accent on*

Nah wurries mayte, fair dinkum.

*Aussie accent off*

The internet in SA is still pretty primitive, and damn slow to boot, compared to other countries. If I am writing a long job, I usually do it in MS Word, and then copy and paste. Saves me doing it all over again  :deal:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.