Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: tarring the sani pass  (Read 5792 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: tarring the sani pass
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 09:28:34 pm »
And then the 1st half is back to dirt again! :imaposer:

Online Tommy Transalp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 09:43:24 am »
Yep... tar roads are just large steps on gravel hiways :ricky:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 12:05:07 pm »
Went up Sani Pass last week, the tar is oosing in but will be a long time to get to the top.  But if you want to make the run you best do it this year. Was told by 4X4 tour guide at the top that it will be shut down next year to start blasting. 

Bob :ricky:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 12:56:37 pm »
It was mentioned that Lesotho needs access to Durban harbour. Now, unless they transport all their goods on bakkies, how much do they plan to alter the current pass to enable trucks to negotiate the hairpins? It seems that what they mean by blasting will really be demolishing quite a bit of the mountain.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 04:36:19 pm »
Sani will be the new shortcut to Bloem... >:D

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 05:20:58 pm »
Tar Sani, and we just ride an R1 up there. There is a Yamaha for every application >:D

Offline HP FREAK

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Jy moet FOKUS my kind
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 05:38:21 pm »
Can this realy happen?
BMW HP2 Enduro "SOLD"
BMW R1200GS Adventure "SOLD"
BMW G450X "SOLD"
BMW R80 CAFE RACERS

Offline charlw

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 10:54:50 pm »
I doubt they will tar it for the poor souls landlocked in Lesotho. IMO there is a huge dam due to be built near Mokgotlong. Tar road will give 24/7 access to the huge vehicles needed to build this dam. The conglomerates don't care about the poor souls. It is progress (money) that drives this.
The traveler sees what he sees.  The tourist sees what he has come to see.  ~G.K. Chesterton

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 10:58:08 pm »
I doubt they will tar it for the poor souls landlocked in Lesotho. IMO there is a huge dam due to be built near Mokgotlong. Tar road will give 24/7 access to the huge vehicles needed to build this dam. The conglomerates don't care about the poor souls. It is progress (money) that drives this.

You are right about the dam.

A huge new dam is to be built, that is why all the roads in the Village Chief's Hut area are being upgraded. They need easy access for construction vehicles and materials.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 12:15:32 am »
It is the third dam in the project afaik. The plan is to link Maseru to Sani as well.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2011, 07:40:53 am »
I also went up Sani about 10 days ago and it is virtually in gravel highway condition! I must say I am skeptical about it being tarred even in the next 10 years (forget the Swiss...Chinese maybe yes) and even then no big trucks are going to negotiate it regularly, forget it. The big trucks will enter elsewhere and stay in the mountain kingdom - as said there are BIG road projects on the go in the Kao mine area and really VERY BIG Volvo trucks etc ... moving vast amounts of Lesotho around  :o
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2011, 09:37:02 am »
Mining is almost always bad news, but neccesary for our lifestyle. Dams could be equally bad news, intruding on the natural flow of water and migration of fish,etc.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2011, 10:12:08 am »
For them to construct a dam near Sani there will have to be tar road access nearby, but Sani in it's current style will not work, it is too severe for the type of trucks needed fror a project of this type, tarred or not. The road to Katse had to be built first, EVERY bit of material for the dam, barring certain sand, was trucked up there, (I helped modify a few truck/tractors for this contract, and worked on the lift in Kastse Dam wall) there is one corner/switchback on this section that interlinks have to do in two stages, one trailer at a time, the corner is just to sharp, close to the highest point, for those that have done this road. The corners on Sani are just to sharp, especially the last 5km for any truck/trailer combination to navigate, they would have to find an alternative route to the are, possibly from the Mokotlong side.
I'm sure Sani as it is safe for quite some time...
If the Chinese build it, they will carry on rebuilding it from bottom to top for ever, they build kak roads, ala Mozambique style, keep themselves in a job by building kak quality roads.......
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1250 GSA
    • Country Trax
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2011, 10:50:49 am »
The contract for upgrading the road from Mokgotlong to Sani is in the final throws of negotiation.  The plan is that Maseru to Sani via Thaba Tseka will be tarred completely.  And the road from Oxbow to Sani will go the same way. 

The tar road around the south from Mohaleshoek to Qachasnek is there.  The link between Maseru and Qachas is also in progress via Roma, Ramabanta, Semonkong and down the hill to Sekake.  The last section will be a challenge....
There is a lot of overseas money being poured into Lesotho for this purpose.

The political will is there - Sani.  I am not aware of any specific contract for tarring Sani beign awarded to date, but looking at all of the above, it will probably happen.  We also thought that building a tar road to Katse was impossible, but it is there now.  Sani is a small job in comparison.

The health infrastructure upgrade project is busy spending US$ 800M.  Hundreds of clinics are being built.  Staffing them with Zimbabweans and Malawians.  As soon as a Mosotho is qualified and enters the "middle class", they want to work in Maseru and the lowlands.  In the mountains, they battle to find willing people to do the work.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2011, 11:44:12 am »

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2011, 12:26:36 pm »

The dam is called the Polihali Dam, it is going to cost 7.3 Billion Rand to build, the wall will be165-m-high and it will have a 2,2-billion-cubic-metre-capacity. The project started in 2011 and will be completed around 2017.

http://www.trademarksa.org/news/lesotho-water-project-needs-scrutiny

http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/second-phase-of-water-project-to-increase-economic-growth-2009-06-05

Offline Duke916

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 04:26:35 pm »
My wife is working with the project , Sani is going to be tarred but the esses are going to be scrapped because the esses are too dangerous. A new route going up is planned, same area though .
Then : RD50  550 Four  900F   CBX  CBX Prolink XL 500 XR 500  CR 450  MTX 200  916 BIP

Now :  1100RC  R100 RT    1098  RGV 250  KTM 495  R 1200GS ADV    KLR650

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 09:47:54 pm »
How about a road going straight up and giving all the trucks super lowrange. :pot:
With maybe a jump at the top. >:D

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 12:45:33 pm »
I also went up Sani about 10 days ago and it is virtually in gravel highway condition! I must say I am skeptical about it being tarred even in the next 10 years (forget the Swiss...Chinese maybe yes) and even then no big trucks are going to negotiate it regularly, forget it. The big trucks will enter elsewhere and stay in the mountain kingdom - as said there are BIG road projects on the go in the Kao mine area and really VERY BIG Volvo trucks etc ... moving vast amounts of Lesotho around  :o
Saw your sticker.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »
Saw your sticker.

Ja BiG DoM on the GSpot  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky: