Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: tarring the sani pass  (Read 5768 times)

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • SDB Digital
Re: tarring the sani pass
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2013, 04:27:25 pm »
There's more fun roads to ride in Lesotho than Sani. Tarring Sani just means we'll be able to get to the fun stuff quicker....  :ricky:

etolls?

:)

Offline Woestynhond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2013, 04:28:56 pm »
Was just about to gooi sanral into the thread! Maybe they will fund the project! :imaposer:
and she said " What are you doin today ? ".
and I said " Nothing ".
and she said " But you did that yesterday ".
and I said "I haven`t finished yet ".

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2013, 04:31:45 pm »
Was just about to gooi sanral into the thread! Maybe they will fund the project! :imaposer:
:imaposer: I would not put it past them... it will shorten the route from the N1 to Durban...

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2013, 04:34:05 pm »
It all depends on the 3rd dam schedule, using Sani is a huge cost saving compared to carting stuff around via Van Reenen.

Rob I think you are sadly mistaken.

I don't believe that large trucks carrying construction materials for the Polihali Dam will ever use Sani Pass, even when it is tarred. The only bearing the new dam will have on the tarring of Sani is accessibility for tourism purposes.
I hear you, but bear in mind what diesel cost way back when Katse was built, at today's prices will add a significant cost factor to any new project, tarring Sani would cut both that cost as well as save a few hours as well plus add the tourism factor for Lesotho.

Fear not....if the Chinese are building it it's going to fall apart with rapidity if big trucks are going to use it...and they would have to do major cliff side earthworks to get turning circles right for tracter & trailer....its going to be interesting to watch..
Newguy is right.....for some the pass is the trip...for others it's a means to a start...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:36:04 pm by Pistonpete »
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Mooch

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2013, 04:37:34 pm »
Well thats good news...
If in doubt, flat out.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2013, 04:38:53 pm »
+ the okes down below now get their zol quicker.....unless they still doing the donkey trains to the lowlands.... O0

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2013, 06:49:07 pm »

Fear not....if the Chinese are building it it's going to fall apart with rapidity if big trucks are going to use it...and they would have to do major cliff side earthworks to get turning circles right for tracter & trailer....its going to be interesting to watch..
Newguy is right.....for some the pass is the trip...for others it's a means to a start...
[/quote]

PP - not sure what you base this opinion on? The Chinese have built some of the best roads in the most demanding terrain in the world. Twenty years ago already I travelled the Silk Road when first open to westerners and was impressed by their roads even in some remote areas. Some of the Chink roads in Lesotho are awesome feats of construction - last year saw first hand the mamoth Qachas Neck road building and while terrifying in terms of how it is going to open up Lesotho is fooking impressive. That said to get big trucks up Sani it would need major reingeneering and cannot see it happening...but then I can also say that the Chinese view challenges very differently to Africans...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:53:33 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2013, 06:53:58 pm »
The Chinese have successfully built roads and railways that defied all engineering logic. Give them some credit! :sip:

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2013, 07:02:23 pm »
The Chinese are not involved in the tarring of Sani Pass
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2013, 07:34:35 pm »
According to this post the chinese are tarring the sani pass

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=127077.0

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2013, 07:43:51 pm »

PP - not sure what you base this opinion on? The Chinese have built some of the best roads in the most demanding terrain in the world. Twenty years ago already I travelled the Silk Road when first open to westerners and was impressed by their roads even in some remote areas. Some of the Chink roads in Lesotho are awesome feats of construction - last year saw first hand the mamoth Qachas Neck road building and while terrifying in terms of how it is going to open up Lesotho is fooking impressive. That said to get big trucks up Sani it would need major reingeneering and cannot see it happening...but then I can also say that the Chinese view challenges very differently to Africans...
[/quote]
Working on African projects is like clubbing baby seals to them......plus watch thr Chinese population grow in the area...

And if i was the SA Gov i would put a trade embargo on them until they use a SA company to build the roads.....it's not like they don't exist because of our benefication...

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2013, 07:55:49 pm »

Working on African projects is like clubbing baby seals to them......plus watch thr Chinese population grow in the area...

And if i was the SA Gov i would put a trade embargo on them until they use a SA company to build the roads.....it's not like they don't exist because of our benefication...
[/quote]

They build these roads to come strip a country of its natural resources.

African politicians allow it, because their voters think it is being done for them as 'development'

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2013, 07:59:41 pm »

African politicians allow it, because their voters think it is being done for them as 'development'
and what has Lesotho got except one diamond mine and water? ::)

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2013, 08:00:52 pm »

A corrupt state

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2013, 08:04:21 pm »

A corrupt state
less corrupt than Zumazanzi... :lol8:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2013, 08:06:57 pm »

[/quote]

Sounds like zenophobic bigotry. You said that their roads would "fall apart with rapidity" and have not substantiated this claim. Not everything Chinese is crap - remember 'Jap Crap' ... things Jap were also considered inferior and where are they now? The Chinese were an advanced civilisation long before the West and are no longer a slumbering dragon but will be the mega power within our life time. Main reason is work ethic and their embracing capitalism. Yes there is Chinese colonisation afoot, no doubt. Before you know it your orange bike will be being made not just in India but China as well.  :3some:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:10:28 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2013, 09:40:30 pm »
According to this post the chinese are tarring the sani pass

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=127077.0

Read the post again  :biggrin:

The Chinese are doing the road between the top of Sani and Mokhotlong, this is all inside Lesotho.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2013, 08:49:10 am »
I am amazed that so many people think that the Chinese are actually building quality roads in Africa ??? Yes for fair to good quality build by them in Asia and even some part in Europe. However, I have worked many years in Africa and the Quality of roads build by the China people are crap generally speaking! Roads started to break op in the DRC within the firs year of construction as well as their many roads in Ethiopia! Most of the times they will only lay a base course and never the 'wear coarse' and you can clearly see that they do not test materials in labs. The crushed stone they used on a road in Eastern Ethiopia (Jijiga) broke up after te second rainy season.....so I beg to differ when it comes to Chinese 'so called Quality roads'. They are involved in almost every Country in the world, but it seems that Africa will still get the 'made in China keep in a cool place' workmanship...pity

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2013, 09:24:27 am »
I heard Sani will be tarred by next week Tuesday so hurry up if you want to ride it  ::)
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2013, 09:35:46 am »
I heard Sani will be tarred by next week Tuesday so hurry up if you want to ride it  ::)

:imaposer: :imaposer: