first ride on my drz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Went for my first proper ride on the drz Sunday. Saddle is extremely ‘shooo my bumb is sore’. That bike accelerates and handles so awesome on the tar its scary (even with knobblies). I found my self continually looking for an extra gear and may well go up on front sprocket at some point but gearing is so good in the dirt. I find the whole package very stable and confidence inspiring. Hit the dirt near Kempton park and man this was mud heaven after the rains. There was not just puddles but streams and slush and mud holes. With the gs I would have turned around at probably the first bend and gone to the wimpy to reminisce at how good I once was. The drz is a whole other ball game, scotts damper set to almost full hard, tyres around 1.8 f and a bit less r. that bike just goes, sitting standing no worries. Front holds, back slides a bit in slushy mud (I guess the damper working) and the feeling of confidence is awesome. With the gs where I would be in 1st or 2nd I am in 4th or 5th on the drz. The bike makes the kind of riding I do so easy it is scary. A big issue with me may be over confidence so I will have to tone down a bit. I need to set suspension as apparently it is at factory setting and I am way heavier than that, yet I never felt like bottoming but I didn’t do any jumps or whoop whoops so will still need to check that. I cannot say I will never do dirt on my gs again cos that will be a lie, but gs and dirt will I think only be on gravel hway whilst touring. Sunday outrides and technical type stuff will be a thing of the past on the big dog unless whilst out far far away.