10 Days to Namibia and back.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexc-w

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I've done a few Desert Runs in the past on various bikes(TT600, XR600, XR650R, KTM300), but never had the right bike or circumstances to ride there and back.  Well this year I got my opportunity.  Some family wanted to see parts of Namibia and to visit the old family farm near Kalkveld.  They would travel by 4x4 and my daughters could ride with them and pillion with me whenever they wanted.  
Now I am one of those lucky fellows who's wife also likes bikes.   She likes them so much she even rides her own 1200GS.  The first overnight from Pta was Grunau (+-1200km).  And the last stretch home was from Buitepos also about 1200km.  Those 2 days would have been too much for her, so we trailored her bike to Grunau and from Buitepos.  

The 2 cars left at 03h00 on friday 22 June, direction N14.  I got on the road at 05h30.  I would catch them somewhere before Upington.  Between Tarlton and Venterdorp I had to make a "Ertjie"-stop.  (Translate Ertjie (Afrikaans))  The temperature was ranging between zero and -2DegC and I was begging for the sun to come up:

Shot with Photosmart M425 at 2007-07-08

I caught them before Upington, we crossed the border at Ariamsvlei and reached Grunau in time to pitch camp before sunset.  This was my first 1200km day on a bike and I must admit that I expected it to be a lot harder.  Thank you Captain!!

The next morning we off-loaded Morgan, Gerda's bike.  Destination - Sesriem campsite (+-700km).  This is my oldest daughter where we waited for one of the cars that took a wrong turn outside Maltahohe:  

Shot at 2007-07-08

Due to the wrongslot we arrived at Sesrien after dark.  We had a lekker braai and enjoyed a couple of Windhoek Draughts.

We spent the next day at Soususvlei and Sesriem Canyon.  I opted not to ride to the vlei with the bike.  The last couple of kms to the vlei is really soft sand and I have seen bikes like Dakars really batlle there.   The overnight was at Solitaire where I took this nice shot of a "Geelvink" the next morning:

Shot with FinePix S5000 at 2007-07-08

Destination the next day was Sawkopund (+-300km), passing through the Kuiseb Canyon:

Between Walvis and Swakop I decided to give the off-road bike and quad bike route next to the tar road a try with the big Beemer.  This was unbelieveably good fun!!

Shot with DSC-H5 at 2007-07-08

The next day we did some things in Swakop, drove to Henties, played with the 4x4s on the North Dune and visited the pub at Hotel De Duine.  This wasn't us, but I thought it was quite catching.

Then the next day we visited Walvisbay, the salt pans on the way to Paaltjie and Sandwich Harbour and then went playing at Dune7/Dune2.  I couldn't resist the urge to attempt the big dune with Captain.  Was I impressed!!  I ended up going halfway up and down and up and down ............and up and down this monster dune with a 230kg+ bike.  Tyres were only deflated to about 1.8bar.  Next time I'll drop the pressure to 1bar and ride all the way to the top.  That would be an adrenalin rush.

Shot at 2007-07-08

The youngsters were having fun on the dune with duneboards.  You have to do this when you get there.  Lots of fun, but hard work to carry the board back up the dune.:

From Swakop we left for Omaruru via Karabib, Spitzkoppe.  About 400km, first 100km tar, the rest dirt.  

Greda had to traverse a bit of a sandy river crossing on the way to Uis.  No problem at all.

Direction - Omaruru:

The next day we visited the family farm near Kalkveld.  We slept over at Arebush lodge in Windhoek.  The temperature dropped to around -4Deg C in Windhoek that night.

Next morning we visited some more family in Windhoek.  In the afternoon we drove to and slept at Buitepos.  All to soon the trip was over, with the last day back through Botswana.

Impressions on the 1200 GS Adventure:
- This is one amazing long distance traveller.  The protection against wind and cold is fantastic.
- It is hard not to ride too fast on the good gravel roads of Namibia.  Namibia is DS bike heaven.
-  Fuel Consumption:  Best 5.2l/100km, worst 7.2l/100km.
- Don't be affraid to take it off-road.  Yes, you can ride it in the dunes.  Just don't stop on the incline of a dune.  
- When it gets stuck in the sand, it is one heavy beast when you have to move it.

Next time I am going all the way to the top of Dune 2.  What do you guys say we make it a challenge?  I know of one 1150 GS Adventure that made it to the top.

Enjoy!