The Maitland Mines Adventure - PE Wild Dogs Kennel's outing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki Djebel 250XC
This was an adventurous ride at the Maitland Mines 4x4 Trail (Web site), located approximately 25 km towards the west from Port Elizabeth.  The riders rode through sand tracks, steep descents & valleys, numerous water crossing, along â??jungleâ?? lanes & awesome scenery.  The name of the trail is derived from the existence of old lead mines that were operated there in the late 1700â??s.  The remains of these old mines still exist as tunnels carved into the solid rock in the ravines along which the trail leads.

Despite the doom and gloom weather predictions, it never rained once, and the day, although windy, turned out as quite enjoyable riding conditions.  The wind was never a factor within the shelter of the ravines and valleys of the site.

Although only 5 Wild Dog members (out of the approximately 15 persons that showed and interest) braved the early morning chill and met at the Builders Warehouse, there excitement regarding the forthcoming ride was not constrained by the lack of numbers!    Captain Slow was first there, very keen and eager to go, followed shortly by Watty.  Next GS-holic rolled in, followed shortly by BMWPE and Gavin.

WDMM1.jpg

WDMM2.jpg

After a wait of 30 minutes for any stragglers, the party set off with great anticipation â?? only Watty has been there a few times as a 4x4 fanatic and GS-holic (although in a cage with disaster consequences!) has been there before.
WDMM3.jpg

Our welcome sign
WDMM4.jpg

The road leading to Maitland Mines adventure -
WDMM5.jpg

On arrival we had to wait few minutes for the site office to open, and for 3 other riders that were going to partake with enduro bikes (Yammie WF450â??s). 
WDMM8.jpg

Unfortunately these riders never pitched (excuses later â??the nasty weatherâ? â?? yeah right!, their loss).  After the duty employee arrived on his â??ownâ? dual sport bike,

WDMM6.jpg

the office was opened; we signed the necessary forms, paid the required fees, was issued with a detailed map each, and started a fun-filled day of adventure riding in earnest.
WDMM9.jpg

Although the trail is approximately 12 km in length; there are various optional routes and quite a great diversity of riding can be done.  These optional routes for the experienced riders as these routes are quite challenging, especially when wet, and are clearly marked on the map as "NOT FOR BABIES"!  This statement was clearly understood later in the day â?? as BMWPE will vouch for later in the report.

Were is the road?  Better check that map

WDMM10.jpg

Initially the going was easy, no serious stuff, typical farm-type two track lanes over meadows and fields.  A little bit of mud slinging was the only challenge at this stage.
WDMM11.jpg

WDMM13.jpg

WDMM12.jpg

Here GS-holic was the champ - his choice was the low road and I ended up being drapped in EC mud (sorry no picture).

Once the route started following a steep incline leading into the Maitlands river valley, things started to get exciting.  A few thoughts did cross my mind, such as, â??We may need to come back this was, and if it rains later, this clayish road is going to be a potential obstacleâ?.  Once in the valley the scenery was awesome â?? a real nature lovers paradise.
WDMM26.jpg

The windy conditions that buffed us earlier were also non-existent in the valley, and suddenly everyone was opening the vents on their jackets.  The narrow paths were flanked with indigenous vegetation and the air filled with the sound of the local birdlife.

WDMM26b.jpg

WDMM16.jpg

BMWPE, Captain Slow, Gavin & GS-holic with Watty behind the camera!

The Beauty and the Beast â?? you decide which one this is!
WDMM18.jpg

The route ran for a few kilometres alongside the river and care had to be taken in the loose sand along the way (Captain Slow will vouch to the truth of this statement).  Water crossinsg were now also being encountered.

WDMM14.jpg

WDMM15.jpg

As I recall we negotiated the river at least at 8 different places â?? some crossing resulting in no more than getting your boots wet, to some really exiting stuff.  You know, those kind of crossing were you get-off, walk to the waterâ??s edge, take a long hard look, trying to find the best and safest line to go for, and then still have second thoughts when you hit the water.  It can be accounted with pride that no one had a wet off or had any serious mishap in the river crossings.

Shall we or shall we not?
WDMM17a.jpg

WDMM17b.jpg

WDMM17d.jpg

The KLR showing the way
WDMM17c.jpg

A video of BMWPE showing how easy it can be! Water crossing Video

Another, easier, crossing:
WDMM20.jpg

GS-holic
WDMM21.jpg

Capt Slow
WDMM19.jpg

BMWPE

Admittedly some were hairy, like the big hole that nearly swallowed Gavinâ??s BME 1200GS Adv!  It is also here that I lost a number plate â?? the resistance force of water should never be underrated.  Also check the water depth beforehand!
WDMM23.jpg

See, standing is OK in our region.
WDMM25.jpg

WDMM24.jpg

The route along the valley eventually come to and end.  This was expected as we had a detailed map, but being true adventure bikers we wanted to see whatâ??s at the end of this lane
WDMM27.jpg

So as not to go back along the whole same route that brought us to this point, it was decided to be â??braveâ? and try a route indicated on the map as â??steep incline, 4x4â??s only â?? not for babiesâ?.  After all, we have the tools and the resolves to go were cages can.  It started of quite well, only an incline that required low gear and constant momentum.  Then, BMWPE, who was leading the pack at this stage, discovered that there was no more road, just boulders sized marbles and jagged solid bedrock!  The going was now really tuff, the 60+ degree angle made the bike extra heavy, traction being lost to spinning and kicking rocks into the air.  The big beemer was experiencing heavy going, to put it in perspective, even a light-weight enduro bike with an experienced rider would had to know his stuff here!

WDMM28.jpg

Therefore me, GS-holic and Gavin went to his aid, and using a nylon strap (I always carry one of these necessities :evil6: ) we manhandled the Adv up the blêrrie mountain for about 30 metres over the worse until the bike and rider were able to continue un-aided.  I must however mention that the way ahead at this point was still no walk-in-the-park.  My complements to the riding skills of BMWPE â?? well done!  The bikeâ??s sides never touched ground, or rather rock â?? thus no off.  I have personally never seen such a big bike do such a feat. No babies here alright.

So as not to incur damages or injuries the wise decision was made that the rest of party will turn around and follow the long way out of the valley. 

Gavinâ??s 1200Gs Adv being shown the way down.  Sorry, only one at a time.
WDMM29.jpg

A meeting place was decided upon (nice thingies these maps).  BMWPE continued up the incline, mumbling something about it is not fair that he will have to miss out on the lekker water crossings.

About a half an hours later all the riders arrived at the meeting place safely.  This venue was also the highest point with a superb view over the sea.  The wary, but grinning, members now saddled off and started a braai going â?? the perfect end to a most exiting and enjoyable dayâ??s outing.

WDMM30.jpg

WDMM31.jpg

The adventure started at 9h30 and the last piece of wors was eaten at 13h45.  The distance traveled at Maitland Mines, according to my trip count, was 22 km.  My thanks to everyone that undertook this ride â?? I look forward to the next PE Wild Dog Kennelâ??s outing.