Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Attakwas en twee vriende  (Read 1292 times)

Offline JacoM

Attakwas en twee vriende
« on: November 24, 2011, 09:05:08 pm »
We have been riding together for quite some time and decided recently to honour the longing for something different... We will miss the absolute comfort of the GS'e, but you can only postpone a a serious "itch" for so long. HP2 was calling load and clear..

Two months since we made the change and this was the first time we could ride them together. The trip was planned to  "test" and get accustomed to the new horses (yes, the HP2 resembles a hings wat net wil klim en spring!). There would be lots of drooling, talking sh..t and in general eyeballing the bikes. (The photo's of "bikes only " to come is proof of this.)

Thursday, last week I filloed up on Somerset-West and headed for Heidelberg on the N2. Not much to be said apart from the fact that I enjoyed the screen bought from Losper just the week before (Thanks Pieter in Bloemfontein). Into a storm of a Souht Easter. Filling up in Riviersonderend I noticed that my knobbly is fast disappearing - I would need to slow down or run the risk of taking on Attakwas with a "road" tyre. This proofed to be a blessing in disguise as I had to fill in some forms before Suurbraak turnoff at a "speed point" ! Only slightly over the speed limit did not temper my spirit and a small wheely was pulled as a left the traffic "polieste"! (Note to myself...Die HP wil net spring soos 'n "spelerige" hings.)

I slept at Jacques and Moniques place in Heidelberg and early the Friday morning we started the bikes and headed for the mountains.

The first picture is taken early morning in Jacques garage . Indeed a true reflection of the passion in the man's heart! (KDX, 1150GS (for sale!), 650GS of Monique , Jacques HP and mine)

We were on gravel just outside town and took the Gysmanshoek pass over Kanetberg.

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Attakwas en twee vriende
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:21:30 pm »
Daai is n mooi foto bo-op Gysmanshoek. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline JacoM

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:31:21 pm »
Aag nee, nou net 'n klomp "woorde "verloor.

Sal probeer opsom. Het net a kort stukkie teer paunt gesien en het weer afgedraai by Muiskraal plaas , rigting Gouritsrivier. Eers die afdraai na die ossewa roete verbygery en moes terug nadat ons Herbertsdale binnegery het! Ook goed want toe kon ons petrol ingooi!

Offline Labrat

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:46:25 pm »
Shoe! mooi scooters daai :thumleft:

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 05:44:15 am »
Hel!! Dit is darem n fiets wat vir my net altyd reg lyk erens in die berge of vlaktes :thumleft:
Ver buite my vermoeens maar n man mag maar kyk :ricky:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Dusty

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 07:37:30 am »
Baie mooi fotos   :thumleft: :thumleft:
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 08:58:52 am »
Dis ons węreld daai!

Offline fat b

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • BMW R 1150 GS ADVENTURE
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 09:30:41 am »
Waarsie res ?? Dis een van my favourite routes daai , ek hoop julle het die 4x4 route oor Bonnidale gedoen , daar is 'n paar lekker technical stukke daar  :thumleft:

THE CHALLENGE MAY NOT BE EASY , BUT IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME !

MOSSEL BAY

Offline JacoM

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 11:41:38 am »
Nog baie mooi foto's om te volg. Moet dit eers kleiner maak die naweek!
JA, het die 4X4 roete na Bonniedale gevolg en toe op die plaas gespeel - eie skills challenge!

Offline JacoM

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 07:02:38 pm »
The ossewa route is not meant to be done "at speed" . Maybe something to do with the original vehicles is was meant for. Lots of steep up and down hills. The surface is mostly rocky and the sharp corners with "negative" camber. Where the HP's lack overall comfort of the GS, the suspension makes up for it all. Small bumps and ruts are just such a pleasure on the HP. Somthing must have ben to my bikes front suspension as it feels a lot stiffer that JAcques bike. It has a Wilbers suspension sticker on but I do not know what excatly was done to it.

We were early at Bonniedale farm and decided to go and play a bit and getting more acustomed to our bikes. Jacques disappeared and came back with a nice litte "skills challenge" laid out. The HP is in some areas more difficult to ride than the GS. Something to do with the length + height I think? Then the responsiveness is also a nice thing to get use to. (Bliksem..die ding wil net spring!)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 07:05:09 pm by JacoM »

Offline JacoM

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 07:16:06 pm »
The little route took us in and out a dry river bed. The nice thing of taking a Friday off and make it part of a trip trip is that there is hardly any other people or traffic on the roads. We for sure would not done this "skills challenge id other campers were also using this facility.
Jacques HP has a full Remus system on and has a nice growl as evidence. Mine is decatted and the standard pipe had some internals removed by the previous owner. Let's say, they can now be heard without being too load! (Eintlik net a moerse nice klank!)

Offline JacoM

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 07:28:54 pm »
There is quite a few options at Bonniedale Farm. Camping spots next to the river, permanent tents or guest house. We took the option of sleeping in a "permanent caravan". Our order to Danette (Farm owner)was for petrol and meat to braai! She did not disappoint and made braai broodjies, potato and Cole salad to go with We had the most amazing view from our caravan "stoep".

After a few bears and red wine, we were "exhausted" but in a "deep mode of satisfaction" -( no, we are not that kind of maatjies!). A hard days riding, enjoying friendship and doiing what you love most must be treasured!

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 07:31:02 pm »
Daai headers van Jacques is nie Remus headers nie seker die standaard headers????

Lekker sover man. :thumleft:
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline BMWPE

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 07:32:52 pm »
F Nice bike  ;D
Rallye

Offline JacoM

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 07:40:11 pm »
Both Jacques (Spar owner!) and myself (small kids) are not used to sleeping till late, so we were only just beaten by the "werf haan" the following morning. Looking forward to a days riding we filled up and packed - did I mention previously what a joy is is to travel "light"? Within 3 minutes the tank bags were packed and attached and we were off to a nice farm breakfast!

Nika (farm owner) sugested we take the same route back as it will look quite different from this end. Apparently there isd a 43 degree incline on the wagen trail which we wouldf need to overcome and we did not have a team of agterryers and back-up to help push (or pick up the pieces. Nika was so right. Goiing back the same route as what we came with was not boring at all. Steep declines now offered a new "challenge " to the inclines of the day before.

Offline Brakenjan

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 10:22:48 am »
Lekker julle twee!!  :thumleft:

Gooi nog!  :ricky:

Offline fat b

• Race Dog
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 01:35:52 pm »
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=33535.0

You guys must deffinatly go back sometime , you missed the best part !  :pot:

MOSSEL BAY

Offline JacoM

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 05:30:48 pm »
Hi FatB
Yes, we will go back ! We also played in the exact spot in the river, up to the rocky incline. However, we realised we will run out of time on the second day if we did the "northernly" exit. That rocky incline looked intimidating and it seems you had some damage done in your attempt! This is exactly why we "declined" the challenge - for now! I had to get to Somerset-West mid-afternoon the next day!

Maybe next time we should join up?

Offline fat b

• Race Dog
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 07:15:31 pm »
Hi Jaco , you won't be sorry , it really is a great route , and yes I did fall over in 2009 on my first attemt , with a africa twin that has not got half the power or suspension of a HP2 , I am sure your HP2's would have made mincemeat of that ''little hill'' The reason I fell was 160kg on a softish Africa twin = bottoming out on step-ups and ouch ! :imaposer: Give me a buzz next time you are down here we can go together?  :thumleft: My pig's suspension is much better.Nice RR

MOSSEL BAY

Offline spoedvark

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 09:23:33 pm »
Thanks for sjharing!! LKekker pics!!!! :ricky:
Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!