Tough choices.. nice bikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy Muzzy

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I am in the process of trying to find a bike, it is not proving to be an easy choice and with everyone having differing opinions and personal preferences there is a lot of choice, that being said there is a lot of valuable information to be had from so many members with so much experience on this site. I thought I would start a thread going through the decisions leading to choosing a bike or bikes to suite what you need.. it is not as easy as it seems.

The 1st decision is weather or not one bike can satisfy all of ones needs. I think most of us only have one bike and we have to make do, having 2 bikes means 2 registrations, 2 bikes to maintain, less space in the garage, this is a concern. Also, one tends to favour one bike over the other and unless it is used for very different riding like MX vs touring, one will not get used... so I deduce that most of us, due to budget restraints will only have one bike, I know my 1st choice is to only have one bike. I need a bike as a commuter.. getting to work and back on some days, going to see clients and small deliveries, My Transalp with a top box worked lekker for this. Then on weekends I want to do off road riding, slightly technical, sand, rocks, gravel.. and twice a year I go on a 10 day ride, usually Namibia or Moz.. next trip is Zim. The big issue is the miss.. she wants to come on a ride once a month around Cape point, so the seat can't give her a wedgie.. so it needs to be comfy for the miss as well..

Asking too much, well maybe and maybe not. The 800GS for example looks the part, can be used for a commute, does well offroad in technical and touring and is comfy one or 2 up, the Tiger 800 seems to fall in the same catagory.

I have narrowed the search down on paper, i have yet to rest ride many of the bikes but in the process.

total budget is not set in stone, if it is the right bike at the right price I will get it, but i will not be happy going over R120k without great motivation.

If I have only one bike I was thinking 990 adv ( I have seen some really nice machines going for around R95k with low km, there are some real bargains around, this leaves me enough money for a trailer. option 2 is a new Tiger 800.. blows the budget one time at R109k and extras costing a kuk load. but an all round capable bike, ticks all the blocks for commute, road, off road.. not sure about resale values on these bikes in 4 years time. Option 3 paves the way for having 2 bikes.

Option 3 is buying an Africa Twin, I have one here which is spotless, 24 000km, very  very good condition going for R45k.. this leaves R75k.. opening the door for a WR450 or XR650L at about R50k and still have R25k to pack on any extras I need of get a 2 bike trailer.

If you substitute the At with a 950 like J Dogs.. R60k with 21 000km on the clock which I think is a fair deal, it still gives you enough for a XR650.. but then if you were considering a KTM 950, why look at 2 bikes, why not just take R120k and get a almost new 990adv, seeing at how some of these okes on 990's plastered the Amageza assessment why have 2 bikes at all.

Muz