Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Biker kidnapped - end of a travelling era in Africa?  (Read 24795 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Biker kidnapped - end of a travelling era in Africa?
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 02:34:51 pm »
The problem is that if bikers are seen to become soft targets while travelling solo through Africa it will spread like wild fire as the police force in many of these countries are pretty flimsy at best. When my mates tank bag got stolen in Tanzania we had to go to the police station on our bikes and give the police lifts to where they needed to go as they had zero mode of transport, if we got held up 10km out of town there would be no help coming for us.. it is a very scary thought.

So now bikers will have to use Tour operators and travel in groups which will put a load of pressure on them to ensure their clients saftey.. a kidnapping would be the end of a bike tour companies business.

The seriousness of this event is still to be realised.

A lot of people will just stop riding, the tourism will diminsh and these countries will backlside into the back waters again, like the DRC, Central african republic, Somalia and others. When that happens it will be a good time for a bike ride, because the locals will no be expecting anyone to be coming along and therefore will not be prepared.

So I think it will be a cyclical thing.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 02:38:53 pm »
The problem is that if bikers are seen to become soft targets while travelling solo through Africa it will spread like wild fire as the police force in many of these countries are pretty flimsy at best. When my mates tank bag got stolen in Tanzania we had to go to the police station on our bikes and give the police lifts to where they needed to go as they had zero mode of transport, if we got held up 10km out of town there would be no help coming for us.. it is a very scary thought.

So now bikers will have to use Tour operators and travel in groups which will put a load of pressure on them to ensure their clients saftey.. a kidnapping would be the end of a bike tour companies business.

The seriousness of this event is still to be realised.

A lot of people will just stop riding, the tourism will diminsh and these countries will backlside into the back waters again, like the DRC, Central african republic, Somalia and others. When that happens it will be a good time for a bike ride, because the locals will no be expecting anyone to be coming along and therefore will not be prepared.

So I think it will be a cyclical thing.

Agree BB, however it's the regressive spells between the cycles that is devastating.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 02:41:52 pm »
Sorry to disagree with you all, but I reckon travelling through Mali on a bike is probably a lot safer than driving around Joburg after dark.

Obviously this is a really kak thing to happen for the biker and his family, but it seems to me like it is a very isolated incident. Was chatting to a mate whose sone is currently on contract in Mali and his son reckons it is completely safe up there.
How can I be lost when I have got nowhere to go?

Geotraveller

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 02:53:39 pm »
Tough luck for the guys but it's not a new thing. british mate of mine had his landrower seized in Mauritania in 1995, got to Timbuktu in his skiddies and a toothbrush, French bud of mine spent time in a tjoekie on the Sudanese border for some infraction (1996). He was trying to drive an old bread delivery van to Vic Falls

I have spent time in some really remote spots in the DRC and some other African Countries (30 km from the Ivory Coast Border, they were kidnapping kids from the village we lived in) and mostly only a few (2 - 4 expats) and have had k@k but in limited doses.

Be aware of what is going on and get out in time, tune that radar. 
An African trip is still my dream

Offline White Rhino

• Save the White Rhino
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 02:53:50 pm »
Sorry to disagree with you all, but I reckon travelling through Mali on a bike is probably a lot safer than driving around Joburg after dark.

Obviously this is a really kak thing to happen for the biker and his family, but it seems to me like it is a very isolated incident. Was chatting to a mate whose sone is currently on contract in Mali and his son reckons it is completely safe up there.

Maybe, but market perception counts for a lot. If the international community gets the shits, tourism declines - that's a fact.
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 02:55:00 pm »
Was chatting to a mate whose sone is currently on contract in Mali and his son reckons it is completely safe up there.
Heard the opposite on Thursday... KPMG does contracting work there and is planning to withdraw all their workers as it is becoming more and more unsafe.

Offline Offside

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 03:04:56 pm »
Sad to hear about this especially as we are leaving for Kenya next week.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 05:26:17 pm »
It had nothing to do with him being a biker.  Four random people were abducted from a restuarant. One of them happened to be a biker but it had nothing to do with it.

@Subie.  It is not just the bleeding heart Westeners who are aiding Mali.  South Africa is sorting out the preservation of the library of Islamic scrolls in the Timbuctoo museum.  So you yourself are assisting that country & the Muslim component.

Offline KTMaster

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 05:37:05 pm »
And why do you think ASO decided to pull the plug on the Dakar in Africa?

On the other hand, there's always been bandits running in some regions of Mali, but a lot of them are now being sponsored by Islamists.

Offline ChrisMann

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 09:46:32 pm »
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/sub-saharan-africa/mali

ĽOn 25 November 2011, a group of tourists were reported to have been attacked in Tombouctou.  One is believed to have been killed and three others kidnapped.
 ĽOn 24 November 2011, two French nationals were reported to have been kidnapped from a hotel in the town of Hombori, to the north east of Mopti.
 ĽOn 23 October 2011, two Spanish national and one Italian national were kidnapped from a refugee camp near the town of Tindouf in the province of Tindouf in the west of Algeria, near the borders of Morocco, Western Sahara and Mauritania.
 ĽOn 19 April the Embassy of France in Bamako (Mali) alerted its nationals of a ôvery high riskö of being kidnapped in Mali and Niger particularly between the city of Mopti and the border with Burkina Faso.
 ĽOn 4 February 2011 an Italian national was kidnapped in south-eastern Algeria near the city of Djanet, for which AQ-M have claimed responsibility.
 ĽOn 8 January 2011, French authorities confirmed that two French nationals kidnapped from Niamey, in Niger, had been killed near the border with Mali.
 ĽOn 5 January 2011 the French Embassy in Bamako was attacked by an individual using explosives and a handgun.
 ĽOn 16 September 2010, five French nationals were kidnapped in the town of Arlit in Niger.
 ĽOn 26 July 2010 the French government confirmed that French national Michel Germaneau, who was kidnapped on 22 April near Arlit in north-western Niger, had been murdered.
 ĽOn 28 December 2009, a group of Saudi Arabian nationals were attacked near the village of Djambala in Niger, close to the Mali border.  Four of the group died in this attack.

ĽOn 18 December 2009 an Italian couple were kidnapped by an armed group in south eastern Mauritania 18 km east of Kobonni on the road to Mali.
 ĽOn 29 November 2009 three Spanish nationals were kidnapped whilst travelling in a convoy on the road from Nouakchott, the capital of Mauritania, to the northern city of Nouadhibou.
 ĽOn 25 November 2009 a French national was kidnapped near the city of Gao in Eastern Mali.

ĽOn November 14, 2009, there was an attempted kidnap in Tahoua, Niger, by heavily armed individuals against employees of the American Embassy.

ĽA group of European tourists were kidnapped in the area of the Mali-Niger border on 22 January 2009. A British national who was part of this group was later murdered.

ĽOn 14 December 2008 two Canadian diplomats were kidnapped 25 miles outside of Niamey and held in Mali.

There is a high threat from terrorism in Mali. Between 2003 and 2008 dozens of tourists were kidnapped.

We advise against all travel to the northern provinces of Mali. This includes the provinces of Kidal, Gao, Koulikoro (north of Mourdiah), SÚgou (north of Niono), Tombouctou (including the city of Tombouctou (Timbuktu)), Mopti, and areas bordering Mauritania east of Nioro in the Kayes province.

Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 10:45:01 pm »
this place is fuc#ed. >:(
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 10:49:32 pm »
It is in a sense part of what has always made travel through the dark continent exciting. In days gone past they would stew you in a driepoot, now they kidnap you.
I am still going to travel all around Africa.
Maar ek moet nou eers spaar vir die Amageza.

Offline White Rhino

• Save the White Rhino
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 05:02:29 am »
It is in a sense part of what has always made travel through the dark continent exciting. In days gone past they would stew you in a driepoot, now they kidnap you.
I am still going to travel all around Africa.
Maar ek moet nou eers spaar vir die Amageza.

I agree Dan, it's the element of the unknown that makes exploring Africa exciting. I'm not sure that a random threat to ones life qualifies as Adventure riding. Most people (riders) can handle hardships of a minor sort but death or hostage ransom payments quickly turns fun into a nightmare - not only for you but your entire family.

Don't know about you but I draw the line where the nightmare starts.

terminator1

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 05:04:14 am »
That is Kak for the dude an his family. Hope it turns out ok.
But is this bad news for all bikers telling through Africa?
Not yet me thinks

There's a reason most travelers stick to eastern Africa. It's safer

yep

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 10:31:39 am »
Seriously upset about this ffs....

Actually thought it was 2 chaps that are doing a trip back to SA............

http://pikipikisafari.net/

I see according to their website - there's a GPS checkin: (shows that they were in Accra, Ghana) so hopefully not them!

pikipikisafari
ESN : 0-8162580
Type : Check in/OK
Latitude : 5.58499
Longitude : -0.09393
Time : 29 November 2011 04:30:09 PM

according to their blog they could well have run into these okes that were abducted.....

sad day for biking in Africa........strongs to family!
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ő(Ľ┐Ľ)Ť

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 08:32:16 pm »
Wait and see what happens when the US and UK go in and bomb Iran...  :eek7:
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 09:07:25 pm »

don't joke 0 they are fooked enough to do it!  The Iranians were given 48hrs to leave the embassy in London yesterday..... :-\
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ő(Ľ┐Ľ)Ť

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2011, 05:01:58 am »
don't joke 0 they are fooked enough to do it!  The Iranians were given 48hrs to leave the embassy in London yesterday..... :-\

I wasn't joking !
I think it is coming soon.
They'll bomb everything to do with Iran's nuclear program.
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Dirty Des

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 11:56:42 am »
This article was posted on News 24 this morning, lets hope the guys are still alive and come home safely. A bit worrying as we work in that part of the world, mostly in rural agricultural areas!

Mali believes SA man still alive
2011-12-02    7:27

Dakar - Mali says it believes the South African and four other Westerners kidnapped in that country are still alive and it is doing all it can to free them.

A South African, a Dutchman and a Swede were abducted in the historic trading town of Timbuktu. A German citizen who resisted, was killed.

In a separate incident, two Frenchmen were kidnapped from a hotel.

Asked on France 24 television, whether he knew if the five were still alive, Foreign Minister Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga replied: "We think so, yes. ... For us the main priority is to rescue the hostages alive, using all possible means."

Boubeye Maiga did not confirm whether forces from former colonial master France were directly involved on the ground in search efforts, saying only there was co-operation between the two countries.

Mali said on Wednesday it had tightened security in its cities including the capital Bamako after the abductions.

Mali has been criticised by neighbours and Western partners for not doing enough to tackle bandits, local al-Qaeda agents and other groups operating in the vast Sahel region straddling Niger, Mauritania, Algeria and Mali.

Though it was still not clear who was responsible for the kidnappings, al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) has in the past claimed responsibility for similar abductions.

Offline JamesXRV

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2011, 12:34:42 pm »
This short sightedness of a small group of people looking for instant moolah in their pockets having no regard for others or the greater economic future of a country/continent, is just plain faarked up.

Tourism is the one long term thing that can keep the poorer countries (ourselves included) on the boil...killing tourism is suicide. Sad thing is it's starting to become more of a problem here too...

Anyway, thoughts and prayers are with the kidnapped and their families.
If at first you don't succeed, take another swig of whiskey and try again...