Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Biker kidnapped - end of a travelling era in Africa?  (Read 26566 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Biker kidnapped - end of a travelling era in Africa?
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2012, 04:34:26 pm »
That is Kak for the dude an his family. Hope it turns out ok.
But is this bad news for all bikers telling through Africa?
Not yet me thinks

There's a reason most travelers stick to eastern Africa. It's safer

Except for Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Chad, Libya...  ::)

I'd say South America's cheaper & safer....   :peepwall:

Definitely! they only take a kidney and dump you on the side of the road :evil6:

;D Not that bad, seriously. You have been watching too much news again.

Its really not a good idea to get involved with the narcotics peeps though, because then you are looking to lose a kidney, maybe a liver too! 

South Africans are known for being drug smugglers in these parts, so we are generally red flagged by interpol on coming in. But I digress.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline GOBBWD

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Grumpy Old Bald Bastard
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2012, 12:40:35 pm »
I would really like to take a round the world trip. But with all the shit at African border crossings, and the violence and utter lack of respect for life is enough to make me just ship to the UK, and completely skip all of Africa. Just pull all the 1st world country support, and let Afrcia fall back into the anarchy it always has been in. Who needs all this shit?

I really hope that this works out well for the guys, but the fact that the animals shot the german for refusing to get in the truck, does not bode well. No respect for life at all!  >:(
The Zen of helmet time

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2012, 01:12:18 pm »
What is the news?
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Kenisis

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2012, 02:01:41 pm »
This is very Sad. He is being used a pawn for Al Qaeda. Now I dont know enough about Al Qaeda but if my memory serves me correctly they are the ones that Shorten people by a foot or a head rather!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4287750/Al-Qaeda-offers-to-swap-British-hostage-Stephen-Malcolm-for-hate-preacher-Abu-Qatada.html
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Online Odd Dog

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 09:18:08 pm »
I would really like to take a round the world trip. But with all the shit at African border crossings, and the violence and utter lack of respect for life is enough to make me just ship to the UK, and completely skip all of Africa. Just pull all the 1st world country support, and let Afrcia fall back into the anarchy it always has been in. Who needs all this shit?

I really hope that this works out well for the guys, but the fact that the animals shot the german for refusing to get in the truck, does not bode well. No respect for life at all!  >:(

I share the same sentiment, if I was planning a world trip I'd start in either Aussie or USA.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline pietpetoors

• 4x4 Direct
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2012, 10:04:28 pm »

I really hope that this works out well for the guys, but the fact that the animals shot the german for refusing to get in the truck, does not bode well. No respect for life at all! 

I share your sentiment GOBBWD, traveling through Africa was always a dream, but now I feel the same as you.
Previous Bikes: XR200, XR500, XL500, GL500, 3x CD200, BMW Dakar
Current Bike: Suntee Custom Chopper - Only Dead Fish go with the Flow
Bike Spots

Offline bronzy

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2012, 05:02:57 pm »
Africa is a shit hole won't travel north africa if it was for free !!!

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2012, 05:10:18 pm »
funny, that's a dream for me .....   :thumleft:

I love this shit hole - don't wanna be anywhere else - just yet
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2012, 05:12:50 pm »

I think border crossing as south africans is pretty easy in Africa as there are mnay countries that don't require a visa.
Same with south america.

I pity a south african trying to do a Long Way Round type route with all the visa issues they'll encounter

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2012, 05:33:09 pm »
Real sad but this things happens unfortunately, even way more often do people get kidnaped and loos there lives in South Africa. You really think Africa is a 'shit hole'? Well tell you something, Africa won't miss you. For all the other Africa lovers (''I dreamed about Africa etc.) welcome, life your dream. Africa has a lot to offer - the scenery and different livestyles etc. Words can never capture it, nor can pictures. You either love or you don't. I do :thumleft:

I have been working and living here for years - even in Iraq and Afghanistan. Yes I can die tomorrow, same for SA - My changes of being kidnaped in SA is far greater than here. I have been hijacked in SA, I have been robbed (although a zulu friend helped me to chase the guy down) and I have seen a lot of murder scenes and pain in SA - Remember I worked for 15 Years as a EMS (fireman/medic) in SA.

Don't let this stand in your way of living your dream.....don't let anything stand in your way. There are a few basic rule in Africa, in the Middle East and everywhere. If you live by that you got a way better change of surviving. The biggest mistake you can make in most African Countries is to drink in a publick place where starngers come and go. If you want to enjoy a drink, try to do it with friends in a safe place...you make yourself vunrable. I do not say this is/was relevant to what happened to these poor guys, I hope they were just captured and will be released alive....may their families find strengh to deal with this

Geotraveller

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2012, 03:41:09 pm »
I like your sentiments TVB. Been working in Africa since 2004 and have had some tight scrapes but no worse that what Johannesburg can throw at you. Bronzey and all of his ilk can maar go to "safe" places like Australia or where ever they choose and realise that it's no better there.

I feel for the guys and families this was started about, sometimes you are in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:42:17 pm by Geotraveller »

Offline Kenisis

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »
Hi there Guys.

Living your life by the "What If" or by Risk assesments would mean that none of us Ride our bikes let alone go on our Adventures.

People get killed every day falling down stairs, hell people die every year from putting on new shirts and the gaff themselves with a pin that they did not find in the shirt. I know its sad that i know that there is a stat for that.

What I would love to know is how many tourists or travellers there are in Africa versus the amount of Abductions/Kidnappings there are. I reckon it would be a fraction of a fraction of a percent.
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Geotraveller

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2012, 07:57:42 pm »
Hi there Guys.

Living your life by the "What If" or by Risk assesments would mean that none of us Ride our bikes let alone go on our Adventures.

People get killed every day falling down stairs, hell people die every year from putting on new shirts and the gaff themselves with a pin that they did not find in the shirt. I know its sad that i know that there is a stat for that.

What I would love to know is how many tourists or travellers there are in Africa versus the amount of Abductions/Kidnappings there are. I reckon it would be a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

Good point. I reckon the expat community in Monrovia is in the 100's currently with starry eyed peace Corps girlies living alone in some villages and little to no hassles. Travel is fraught with danger but if you have one iota of adventure in you, you would not hesitate. I say go for it
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:07:55 am by Geotraveller »

Offline jorust

• If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • JoRust
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2012, 11:48:14 pm »
This topic just caught my attention, for obvious reasons. As I am typing this I am sitting in Mali (Bamako).
I really feel for the individuals who have been taken and the trauma both they and their families have to endure.
I had to make a decision when I reached Abidjan (Cote D'Ivoire) two weeks ago. Options: Gun it through Liberia to Sierra Leone and onward (though I had been strongly advised against going through Liberia), or take a boat to Dakar (there are only cargo ships running this route) or gun it through Mali. I could also have gone through Guinea but numerous people advised me of unrest in the West of Cote D'Ivoire.

So ultimately I decided on riding through Mali and onward to Senegal.
I arrived here in Bamako late last night. I have met locals who have had to flee from the North (Timbuktu) with their families because of the current situation up there.

I have only been in Mali for two days now and from what I have experienced so far, the South is peaceful with no signs of unrest. Here's hoping that the situation up North doesn't spill over to the South. It's a beautiful country and the people are friendly and welcoming. I was only meant to stay in Bamako for one night but will now spend the rest of the week.

I guess it's a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time for these people.

I sincerely hope that the people who have been taken will be released without being harmed.

I'll give a full report on my experiences in my Ride Report once in Dakar (Senegal) next week: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=95770.0

First woman around Africa. Next up: Around the Americas. www.jorust.com
Website: www.jorust.com. Ride Report: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=95770.0

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "Holy shit!! What a ride!!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2012, 05:19:22 am »
Way to go Jorust!! Have fun!!  :laughing4:

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2012, 04:51:46 pm »

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2012, 05:16:20 pm »

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

Fixed.

Looking forward to your rr, jorust. :thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Online Offside

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2012, 05:45:03 pm »
Well said Jo
You are living my and my wife's dream.
If we never get to live it, it will be for financial or health reasons, not due to a fear of kidnapping.
I've suffered more violence and risk in my home town than I have ever experienced on trips into Africa.

AFRICA AINT NO SHIT HOLE

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2012, 02:05:06 pm »
Well said Jo
You are living my and my wife's dream.
If we never get to live it, it will be for financial or health reasons, not due to a fear of kidnapping.
I've suffered more violence and risk in my home town than I have ever experienced on trips into Africa.

AFRICA AINT NO SHIT HOLE
Ditto
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2012, 03:48:30 pm »
From News24 http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/SA-man-held-hostage-in-Mali-healthy-20120717

A South African man being held hostage in Mali is safe, according to a video posted on YouTube, Beeld newspaper reported on Tuesday.  Stephen Malcolm McGown said in the message on the website that he was healthy and being treated well. He said he was being held by al-Qaeda. 

In the footage, McGown and another hostage, Johan Gustafsson, of Sweden, are holding letters dated January 28, with four armed men standing behind them.  The men were taken hostage with Sjaak Rijke, of the Netherlands, last year.

Beeld said al-Qaeda in North Africa was demanding that Britain releases one of its members to an Arabic country in Africa, instead of to Jordania.  If the demand was not met, al-Qaeda has reportedly said that McGown, who also has British citizenship, would be killed