Pro Action/RAD moto, whatam I to do? Any suggestions? Consumer protection act?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WP

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So I decided to buy a 2007 model KTM 990 Adventure with 23000kms on form Pro-Action KTM in October this year.
Right after I bought the bike I told the salesman (lets not mention names) that I suspect there is a problem with the rear brake as the disc has too much play on it, if he could please have it checked out when they collect the bike to service it.

So they collected the bike from me for it's service, after quite a wait and delay I eventually get my bike back... Guess what, the paint protection I paid for wasn't  fitted (I was told earlier the morning they are busy fitting the paint protection and then I'll get my bike). Nor did I receive the spare key as promised. With this service, they also only changed the oil and oil filters, didn't change the spark plugs or air filter.

The salesman doesn't inform me of f-all... Upon enquiring again, I am told the rear brake is supposed to be like that  :eek:  the air filter and spark plugs do not need to be changed... And I need to bring the bike in when I have time so they can fit the paint protection and give me my key. Which I do, as they are fitting the paint protection I ask Aubrey, they're mechanic if the amount of play on the rear brake disc is normal? He tells me no the bushes are buggered and need to be replaced, which will be a total cost of approximately R400.  :dousing: He also says that he will take this up with the salesman and organized to have it fixed.

I notice a notch in my steering and enquire with the salesman with regards to the steering, spare key, rear brake disc and legally required numberplate holder (I payed R1500 for licensing and registration and was told by law I am not allowed to handle this myself) I am informed that the notch in steering is a normal "feature" on the 990. And they will fetch the bike to sort the rest out... After enquiring on the forum I found out that it is in fact worn steering head bearings and decide to replace it myself and save myself the effort of dealing with these people...

Once again I hear nothing... 2 weeks ago I go to C.I.T motorcycles to fit a new tyre... Guess what? Some dwis, overtightened the rear agle and broke one of the spacers, and on the break one can clearly see that it has been like this for a while. No problems I buy a new axle and spacer R684... I ask the "salesman" regarding this and tell him that this is obviously something that was wrong with the bike when I bought it, after a bit of a story phoning 3 times with promises of calls being returned he informs me that they are willing to cover half of the expense... I am still waiting for payment...  :angry5:

So I ask him again when they are going to fix the disc and the one sides paint protection which peeled due to it not being fitted properly, and ofcourse the numberplate holder and spare key...

They will fetch it first thing Monday morning... After waiting in the office for their driver till 15h45 he eventually pitches up at 16h15... They collect the bike, I didn't hear anything from them today so once again I enquire as to their progress and when I will have my bike back... Just received a reply now stating that it is a used bike and that I have to pay R480 (apparently half of the costs) to have the rear disc fixed??? I was told it would cost in the region of R400. And I will be able to get my bike back Friday??? :angryfire:

What I would like to find out, this rear disc is a safety issue and has been like this since I collected the bike, I wasn't informed of this problem... According to the new consumer protection act this is a big no no... What do I stand to do?

And then furthermore, are there any forum vendors which will be able to assist me with proper service and fixing my rear disc please?

I would really appreciate any advice!