Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Botswananananaa!  (Read 7389 times)

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Re: Botswananananaa!
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 08:47:53 am »
Great report LS, as usual! How did the TKC and Tourance tire combination handle all the sand?
Thanks Scalpel

A TKC on the back would have been lovely since I did feel the Tourance fish-tail once or twice. But I think it was an acceptable compromise. I little more grip on the front with longevity on the rear. A TKC rear would probably not have survived the trip. The Tourance is squared off but still has plenty tread left.

One strange thing I noticed (it could be my imagination): When I slow down to a stop I feel more pronounced vibrations from the TKC front. Having knobblies front and rear used to be vibey but now it feels even more so.
On second thought, it might have more to do with the dodgy shock than the tyres...

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 08:55:19 am »
Inspiring Stuff as always LS.

Thanx for sharing your awesome trip.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 08:56:36 am »
Hi-Jack

Scalpel

TKC front and Touranch back is also my favorite setup. I however got a TKC rear which I only put on if the trip justify it.

A brand new TKC makes a big difference but as it wears down so quickly that after 3000 to 4000km it is behaves about the same as a more road based tyre.

Hi-Jack off
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 08:58:40 am »
Awesome report as usual....LS!

Great pics and thanks for the waypoints! ;)

Nice to see you got back safe...

BTW,if Butch had hurt himself after falling,what were your plans in the event of.....an injury...?
Did you have travel insurance like Europ assist or similar?
Just interested!

Well done you guys!
Thanks PARAMED

I shudder to think what would have happened. It's the chance we all take when we travel unsupported.
There was quite a comprehensive first aid kit in my panniers (packed on top for easy access) and it contains remedies for several maladies. From a tooth repair kit, compression bandages, hard drugs, to venom extractor (useless I know).

Had one of us gotten hurt I guess we would have tried our best to make him comfortable while another went off to search for help. I am covered by Discovery and the bike is covered by BMW. Both companies were informed of our trip beforehand. I don't know what good they would have done us though.
As for Butch and Kaboef. I trust their riding implicitly. They are good riders and they never take stupid risks.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2007, 09:14:50 am »
real shweeet write up,,,thanks man...
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Uiltjie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Caledon
    • http://www.goudinie.co.za
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2007, 09:22:41 am »

I am covered by Discovery

When was the last time you dealt with these guys?  I can tell from experience that you would've been in serious shite!  Discovery is in the process of turning down claims at an alarming rate!

Well done again LS, not just the great report, but once again on a fabulous trip!  Respect!
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2007, 10:15:52 am »
Thanks for the report LS :D
 I will now endeavour to write a few word of my own.
And post some more piccies.

As Lucky Striker said - Botswana is one big, flat country. We saw most of it, and if you dont know where you are by looking at a map, you would not know the difference between the southern, northern, eastern, or western parts by looking at your surroundings.

Also, we had too little time for a trip of this distance. It was basically a mad dash to get to Maun, then a mad dash back home. (Almost)
We would have liked to see more, spend less time riding, and have more time to just sit and drink beer (yes, we drink occasionally)

Also, I can vouch for the friendliness of the Botswana people. Always ready to shoot the breeze with you, always a smile. Courtesy goes a long way there, and we more than once got preferential treatment just because we were courteous and made time to great the person before diving into the negotiations.

There was a question in one of the posts about the combination of TKC front and Tourance rear, and how it handled the terrain.
I think a combination like this is very good for the riding we did. A TKC on the back wheel would have been shredded on our trip due to the large distances tar we covered.
The Tourances gave enough grip in the sand and gravel, I really cant complain. And the TKC front tyre gave traction in the rough, while lasting quite good on tar as well.

Ok, enough of this, my piccies to follow.

Just after Ceres on the first day. You see that Coke bottle on the ground? That was OBS. Meant to last a couple of days. We cleaned it before 10am. We had to, we could not feel our fingers. The road got a lot more interesting after the OBS, I have to say.  ;D

The Ceres - Calvinia road. An excellent way to start any journey.

Nice view, pity about the mountains and the rest of the scenery. ;)

Butch's KTM on the first evening. Eventually needed to help fix a BMW. Now if THAT isn't something...

The first evening - and the reason we reached the Okavango a day later than planned. :P ::)

The second evening - Bushberry Camp outside Tsabong. As you can see from the picture, we were quite a bit less energetic than the previous evening. The temperature dropped to minus4 degress that night.

Riding to this camp was sort of a surreal experience for me. We took the turnoff from the main road onto this white, chalky gravel road, and we followed road as it meandered through the Camelthorn trees. Then suddenly it turned to most horrific two-track sand that you can image. And the further we rode , the worse the road became. At the point where I wanted to stop and ask the other guys if we were still on the right track, and if we should'nt rather turn around, I suddenly say a fence, then a little mud house, and then the gates to the camp. It was beautiful. I almost cried from relief. The combination of a hangover, flat tyre, border crossing, long distances, cold, heat, and a strange country had taken its toll on me, and I was SO glad we reached the end of the day's riding.
And when we got our rooms, I found a chicken on my bed that just laid an egg. I asked her humbly to leave my quarters, and I took the egg outside and put it in a warm spot in the sand. But the hen never returned to the egg. I felt like a little chicken murderer. :P ;D

This is the road leading into Berrybush camp. After a good nights rest, I had the energy to stop and take piccie.

From Tsabong to Gantsi. LS making short work of the sandy roads.

A Katoom and a Beemer enjoying the sunset. Notice the footoprints and signs of heavy lifting next to the bikes, then you may understand why they arent being ridden at that exact moment. ;D

Our pozzie in Maun (Audi Camp).
Do make use of their fabulous restaurant, its worth it. Avoid the curio shop like the plague. Except if your wallet is exceptionally strong.

Flying over the Okavango Delta. A highlight of the trip.

The two Germans that rode through Africa on their 20year old XT600's.

Riding from Maun to Francistown through the Nxaipan National Park. Notice LS sampling the slangbyt again to keep out the cold.

This picture was taken right after we made up our minds NOT to sleep on the Makgadigadi Pans for the night. A combination of rumours of terrible sand, terrible lions, and terrible sandstorms swung the vote. To LS's credit, he wanted to go, but me and Butch convinced him otherwise. I just was not in the mood to run away from lions while nursing a serious case of jippoguts (caused by cheap whiskey, I think ::))

Back in the good old RSA. Here we encountered the first twisties in 5 days. It was heaven!! Picture taken close to Ellisras with the sun setting and us deliberating over where we wanted to sleep that night.

The morning after we slept at Sun City. Butch decided to ditch the Katoom and steal a scooter.

The last day - just before Victoria West, my bike struck 70,000km. We promptly stopped, had a mouthful of cheap whiskey to celebrate.

Back home at Kriges.
Almost 5000km, 9days, one puncture, one broken shock absorber, lost of fun, sore bums, and already planning for the next trip.

It was a great little getaway for me, I really enjoyed it. Just the opportunity to ride a bike for 9days into a neighouring country is already the best fun to be had. Doing it with guys that are easygoing, relaxed, and prepared to go with the flow is really a treat.

Next trip: Mozambique 2008. ;D
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2007, 10:41:26 am »
Shot Kaboef!

I forgot about the chicken and the egg - just had a laugh all over again.
That pic of me hovering over a half-unconcious Butch looks a little suspect... :o  I think I was trying to drag him out of the way so that I could continue with my karate lessons

never blame jippoguts on drink. beer is your friend - I reckon it was all those chicken pies that caused it ;)

thanks. some nice pics you got there

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2007, 10:45:06 am »

That pic of me hovering over a half-unconcious Butch looks a little suspect... :o  I think I was trying to drag him out of the way so that I could continue with my karate lessons

Did you kick him by accident? I can just see it. Goed ge-oliede ouens wat karate oefen teen mekaar! :eek: :lol:

Nice pics and report there Kaboef! Had a good laugh at your comments.

He who angers you, controls you.

masehare

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2007, 11:29:00 am »
A+ reports! Thanks!

Offline CrazyPorra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • The Mutton Man
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2007, 01:13:54 pm »
LS great report, and what a trip by all of U's.

Offline Orange Crush

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2007, 01:33:48 pm »
Now thats what i call an adventure! LS , Kaboefa and Butch, thanx for the inspiration.
Like your work :salut:

Offline KAAS

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2007, 01:58:18 pm »
Luckystriker, uitstekende report........Jy mag maar  :headbang: :headbang:
BIKERS NEVER EXAGGERATE THEY JUST REMEMBER BIG

Offline FortyZA

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2007, 02:34:57 pm »
LS and Co:

What can I say, nice report, good pic's and looks like everyone enjoyed themself. 

>:D Have BMW sorted out the shock issue yet?  >:D 
Keep us up to speed on the developments and outcome?
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2007, 06:11:01 pm »
Since my wife put her foot down, I hate reading these kinds of reports.

But still I have to say that it is a good report and can imagine the jol. Thank you and it looked like a read Wilddog adventure.

O yes, why can anybody be so ignorant to think a few litters of OBS can last a entire day. You need at least 4l. When with friends, enjoying the ride, you need a minimum of 6l for a day. But one thing you have to remember, OBS makes you see things...

Thanks. Very nice.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Leo

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2007, 07:53:15 pm »
Thanks for the additions Kaboef

LS did you not coinsider cutting rubber blocks from an old tyre and shoving them in between the coils of the spring. This certainly would have prevented that bottoming out effect.

On the 1'st GSC, my front shock (aftermarket) also called it the day. I found a piece of old tyre and shoved pieces of the rubber in between, so it prevented the shock from 'stamping deur"  ;)

Still an excellent report and once again thanks for sharing!  8)
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Watermat

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2007, 08:50:19 pm »
Uitstekende report LS en Kaboef.

Dis waaroor DS biking gaan

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2007, 01:00:49 am »
Me jealous? Damn right I am! Well done guys.
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2007, 07:03:57 am »
Kaboef...thanks for your additions. Lekker lekker.

But regarding the egg and chicken....maybe she left the egg as a welcoming pressie. ;D

Butch....? whers your piccies an report?
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Ektoknbike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Kies vir jou een maar hier moet ons deur.
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2007, 07:40:32 am »

The first evening - and the reason we reached the Okavango a day later than planned. :P ::)

Karate, duddele sumersolt, Wwoooww. En kyk, sy sigarette is nog heel, tot sy beker tee het nie eens gestort nie.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o Die ouens mag.

Dit is die lewe!!!!! :D :D :D
As die hoender in jou vasvlieg moet sy vere waai, maar dis darm ook nou nie nodig om in die hoenderhok in te klim nie.