Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: General BMW vintage discussion thread (As well as some photo's of mine)  (Read 2945 times)

Offline RedWolf

Ok, as most of you know, BMW motorcycles were manufactured since before the WW2. With vintage BMW's there are a clear line drawn between pre war and post war bikes.

This thread serves as a discussion forum for ALL vintage BMW's, but I'm going to elaborate a bit on the post war bikes... just because...... I own one.. :biggrin:

History
Probably the most sought after post war bike is the R68, because of being a sport model and also only a few were manufactured.

Bikes manufactured from 1955 - 1969  with their serial numbers were:

1955 — 1960     R50                                 550 001 — 563 515
1960 — 1969     R50/2 & R50US               630001 — 649 037
1960 — 1962     R50S                               564 005 — 565 639
1955 — 1960     R60                                 618 001 — 621 530
1960 — 1966     R60/2                              622 001 — 629 999
1966 — 1969     R60/2 & R60US               1 810 001 — 1 819 307
1956 — 1960     R69                                 652 001 — 654 955
1960 — 1969     R69S & R69US                 655 004 — 666 320

The R68 was manufactured between 1952 and 1954 and only 1452 were manufactured.

Buying
According to the experts the most unreliable part of the post war bikes between the engine, transmission, shaft drive and final drive was the transmission. So when buying, drain the transmission oil and if you rub the oil between your fingers and it feels like rough sand, prepare yourself for repair work. Even if it were the most unreliable part, the experts recon that the transmission lasts between 50k and 75k miles and with modern synthetic oils this figure can be doubled..., well talk about reliability... have you ever seen another 1956 bike where the most unreliable part can last 250000km with modern oils.. :deal:

Also when buying look for repairs on the body work,.. because body parts are very very expensive... +- R7500 for a mudguard.. :o

Another tip.. check the engine and frame number, they should be the same otherwise the bike is only worth half of what it could have been... :deal:

Parts
Most parts are still available
Look at http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx. There are quite a few suppliers still available, so don't worry about parts.

Price
Well, this is where it gets tricky. In the USA prices differ between 3500 dollars and 25000 dollars for "slash 2's" The R50, R60, R50/2, R60/2, R69, R69S and R60US, R50S and R69US are classified as "slash2" bikes.,

I am still searching for prices on R68's.. :deal:

So what to pay in SA for a slash2??? Well, from my limited research a non runner in crap crap condition without papers sells for R15000. A totally restored 100% original bike with papers can sell for R110000. But in the end this is all irrelevant.. the best price is the one the seller is willing to sell for and the buyer is willing to buy for. But the age, condition and numbers manufactures plays the biggest roles in obtaining a selling price.

So, what is all this about.... about this.. :drif: :drif:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:28:22 pm by RedWolf »
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline RedWolf

Re: General BMW vintage discussion thread (As well as some photo's of mine)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 09:04:47 pm »
Next posts will be some info (and lots of pics.... :deal:) on my 1956 BMW R60
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:06:23 pm by RedWolf »
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 09:08:14 pm »
Ok, to keep all of you interested.. let's start at the end product and after this post I will start at the beginning.. :deal:

Shot at 2011-12-05

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:21:42 pm »
So where you been hiding all the time ?  :o
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:31:17 pm »
Nice thread.  I have 2 R50/2's (well technically its my wifes.  She has just never ridden it  ;)).  One white, 1 black.  I take the white one out about once in 3 months. The black 1 is in boxes..... Never fails to amaze me that it would start after a couple of kicks after standing that long.  Nothing gets built like them any more.  If I would ignore my Elefant that long it would show me a toffee.

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 09:33:49 pm »
So, I have been looking a while at these bikes and ChrisL directed me in the right direction to this beauty above. Thanks Chris. I must also say thank you to Redrider for his trailer.

So let start at the beginning:

This is number 66 of 3529 original BMW R60's manufactured. She is a 1956 model with all papers in order.

I left Pta friday morning at 04h30 to drive 1380km to Stilbay to fetch her and was home last night at 09h30...2800km travelled for the weekend.. :o :3some:

This is how she looked when I collected her:

Shot at 2011-12-05

Here are some details of some small surface rust on the crash bars and handle bars this morning when I started with the cleaning:

Here she is after her first wash this morning:

Getting ready for a minor service:

Old engine and transmission oil:

Carb strip and clean:

Taking out the airfilter:

Putting in new engine, transmission, diff and final drive oil:

Oil measurement... SWAMBO's measuring jug... :peepwall: :imaposer:

So, after lots of elbow grease, new oil, clean carbs, clean filters, fitting the front mudguard, polishing with autosol, fitting the panniers and fitting the battery this is the outcome:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/img20111205160116.jpg/

That thing on the seat is the key:

See the key inserted above the speedometer:

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:38:47 pm »
O, by the way almost all surface rust are gone... thanks to elbow grease and a product called rust off... :deal:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:45:12 pm by RedWolf »

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 09:40:17 pm »

Hi Jupiter, she is for sale for the right price you know... :mwink:... :deal:

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 09:43:36 pm »
If my internet would respond faster, I will upload some videos aswell.. :biggrin:

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 09:48:42 pm »
On the last pic above, that knob in the middle of the steering is... the steering dampener... flippen cool for 1956 ek se... :ricky: and the weird thing is... it actually works flippen good.

She also has a 6V hela plug under the seat that is NOT aftermarket, manufactured from the beginning like that.. :thumleft:

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 10:02:05 pm »
niiiiice  :thumleft:

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 10:02:14 pm »
So from a cosmetic point of view, I think my bike looks great.., but mechanically she needs a tune-up... She starts fine, idles fine, rides ok, but when you open the throttle full she pulls dead.. when you give a bit of throttle, speed picks up "gracefully.." :mwink:

So experts help please, who can help me to get her running optimal again? I assume everything is carb related, but can it also be valve clearances??

Also, she can't run above 100km/h at this stage so are really down on power..carb???

Freeze, will you be able to dyno her if I bring you a carb service kit for the bike??

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 10:10:58 pm »

Ha ! I know that all to well  :eek7: You got yourself a real beaut. You wanna swap ?  :patch:

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 10:13:03 pm »

Ha ! I know that all to well  :eek7: You got yourself a real beaut. You wanna swap ?  :patch:
For??

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 10:13:40 pm »

For??

I am a bike whore, you know... :imaposer:

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 10:20:55 pm »
Here is a video just before her first ride.. Can somebody please embed it?

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6328/m72d.mp4

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 10:24:06 pm »

For??

We're messing on your thread. I'll PM you.  :deal:

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 10:26:07 pm »
Here is a video just before her first ride.. Can somebody please embed it?

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6328/m72d.mp4

I see the video is giving some problems,will upload onto youtube quickly and will then post the new link.. :thumleft:

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 10:29:47 pm »
Another link for the video above if the previous one doesn't work:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:31:32 pm by RedWolf »

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 10:45:34 pm »
Next posts will be some info (and lots of pics.... :deal:) on my 1956 BMW R60

Well, she was bought by the previous owner's brother in 1956.. the previous owner inhereted her when his brother died and so it's been sitting for 18 years in a garage(under blankets) in Stilbay. Only occationally started and the last time was more than a year ago because the previous owner had a back operation and he is 70+ years old.

The bike also spent some of her life in germany because the brother worked there and actually took the bike with him somewhere in the 70's. I received all the documentation showing that she was sent there and when she came back.. with the date and stamp.. If my memory doesn't fail me I read she left in 1972 and came back in 1976.

Even though she was last started more than a year ago (when I was in Stilbay), it only took 2 kicks before she started... flippen AMAZING... really a lot easier also than all my other previous kick start bikes.. Can the technical dogs please explain why it is so easy to kick start this bike.. Lecap??? isn't the mass of all the parts suppose to make it difficult to start, or is it because of the horizontal pistons moving sideways and not up??? Start easier than the 2003 XR650R, 1984 RD350 and 2007 YZ250 I had and it's a 1956.., maybe it's just german engineering... :mwink: (sorry 2StrokeDan)