Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: General BMW vintage discussion thread (As well as some photo's of mine)  (Read 2944 times)

Offline RedWolf

Re: General BMW vintage discussion thread (As well as some photo's of mine)
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2011, 07:27:34 am »
RedWolf, ek kon nou eers die kiekies sien. Bliksem, sy is stunning!!!  :drif:   :drif:   :drif:

En goed om te hoor sy het nie jou Zaar drome beeindig nie....  :deal:    :biggrin:
Dankie Brakenjan, ja ek ruil haar in n oogwink vir n mooi Zaar..  :biggrin:
Niks maar niks kom vir my eers naby n xr650r nie... :deal:
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2011, 07:37:02 am »
ok, ordered the clymer workshop manual as well as the Bing carburettor manual, so once delivered the perfect making can start. Next things to be ordered will include a original bmw toolkit, handpump, new set of original stainless steel bolts, some gaskets (for carbs etc..), carb service kit and new spark plugs.
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2011, 07:47:42 am »
Redwolf, stunning bike, pics and mods :thumleft:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2011, 08:21:41 pm »
So from a cosmetic point of view, I think my bike looks great.., but mechanically she needs a tune-up... She starts fine, idles fine, rides ok, but when you open the throttle full she pulls dead.. when you give a bit of throttle, speed picks up "gracefully.." :mwink:

So experts help please, who can help me to get her running optimal again? I assume everything is carb related, but can it also be valve clearances??

Also, she can't run above 100km/h at this stage so are really down on power..carb???

Freeze, will you be able to dyno her if I bring you a carb service kit for the bike??
Any one have any feedback on this regarding performance? Anyway, I ordered the workshop manual and carb manual, so will try and solve it myself, but if someone can help, please point me in the right direction...

Offline ROOI

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • KTM 990 S KTM 500 EXC AKA Red Rider
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2011, 02:49:53 pm »
I will get u the phone number I promised  :thumleft:
FTS

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2011, 06:40:03 pm »
I will get u the phone number I promised  :thumleft:
Thank you

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2011, 10:55:13 pm »
I need help..

I set the gap distances on the inlet and outlet valves, set the timing, filed and polished the points, set the gap on the points, set the gap on the spark plugs, cleaned both carbs, set the carbs, cleaned the airfilter, cleaned the fuel petcock and tank,BUT the bike still doesn't have oomph in the upper revs. Bike idles fine, rides fine in lower revs, sounds fine, but for some reason 'starve' in the upper revs. Bike gets enough fuel flowing from the petcock on both outlet pipes.

So my question: Whats wrong? Is it:
a) differential timing issue, meaning the lobes on the advance hasn't worn the same, giving a differential difference in points   closing on each piston on each 360 degree flywheel rotation?

b) air/fuel mixture setting?

c) something else?

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2011, 10:57:53 pm »
I need help..

I set the gap distances on the inlet and outlet valves, set the timing, filed and polished the points, set the gap on the points, set the gap on the spark plugs, cleaned both carbs, set the carbs, cleaned the airfilter, cleaned the fuel petcock and tank,BUT the bike still doesn't have oomph in the upper revs. Bike idles fine, rides fine in lower revs, sounds fine, but for some reason 'starve' in the upper revs. Bike gets enough fuel flowing from the petcock on both outlet pipes.

a) differential timing issue, meaning the lobes on the advance hasn't worn the same, giving a differential difference in points   closing on each piston on each 360 degree flywheel rotation?

c) something else?

All jets, pin positions is according to the owners manual, so probably not the problem.

Offline Chris_M

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2011, 07:12:41 am »
RW perhaps make vid clip and post it on a bike specific forum where the guys are familiar with those bikes someone will know the solution.?

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2011, 07:38:46 am »
Didnt the bike come up from the coast, maybe it needs rejetting for this altitude? 8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline cone

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2011, 07:57:54 am »
check out the slash2 forum. Wealth of information available.
Dont ponder about the meaning of life. Plan the next ride

Offline madmike999

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • www.studio88.co.za info@studio88.co.za
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2011, 08:06:09 am »
RW you have PM!
'82 R100 RS,  '98 Africa Twin,  Vespa 180 Rally

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2012, 08:11:39 pm »
Damn.,, I actually miss this bike..

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2012, 10:42:22 am »
I need help..

c) something else?

I would say magneto timing.  Clymer manual has a section on setting it up
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:44:06 am by Bill the Bong »

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2013, 04:47:00 pm »

Dit lyk my of ek 'n R50/2 die einde van die maand gaan haal , so n paar blokke van my af !
 Nog oorspronklik ! Yippie !
 'n Ou Pta spietkop ene.