LED Brake Light and Flickers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
One of the things that is irritating about the 610 is the rate at which it goes through flicker bulbs and rear light bulbs.  The vibration and shock from riding over rough terrain means virtually after every ride, at least one bulb is out  :mad:

Those little 10W flicker bulbs cost R25 each from Midas and are a real pain to replace!  I usually end up crushing the thing before I get it in properly!  I must have replaced at least 8 bulbs so far, with no end in sight.

The rear light bulb also goes quite frequently

Another issue is the flicker lens covers are now falling off, probably due to being popped on and off too often as I replace bulbs.  You cant buy the lens cover separate and the entire little rubber flicker stalk with wires and all costs about R200 from Husky.  I've replaced one already...grrrr :xxbah:

After noticing that another flicker lens is missing after last weekends ride I decided to find a LED solution, because that should be cheaper in the long run

P1010340.JPG

I phoned around looking for LED flicker units and all the prices were quite high about R550 for two  :eek:  I needed 4.  So that would be over R1000!

I didnt even bother phoning Full Throttle at first because their prices are usually 20-50% higher than everywhere else, but in the end called them and low and behold they actually were quite helpful, instead of the usual "what bike is it for" and then stunned silence when I tell them, they quickly cut in and said they had a whole range starting at R150 and it would be best if I came in and had a look for myself.

So I popped round at lunch time yesterday.  Didnt see anything for R150, but found almost exact no-name replicas of the Husky flickers for R219  :thumleft:

While I was handling all the merchandise I came accross something even better a TrickBitz rear integrated unit which combined the rear light, break light, and flickers into one slick little oval unit - all for R450  :thumleft:

So I walked out with LED flickers all round, and rear lights all for less than R700!

P1010341.JPG

After taking the standard rear light off and looking at the available mounting I decided to use a small aluminium 30x30 square section to get the rear light unit to sit in the right spot.
P1010338.JPG

I epoxied nuts to the inside (a bit of a weak point in the design because if the glue comes loose for some reason I'm not going to be able to get it off easy - I'll worry about that later in the unlikely event...)  
P1010343.JPG

Fiddled about with some lugs etc to get all the connections to work and then mounted it all.  Looks quite neat IMO!

P1010349.JPG

P1010350.JPG

Hopefully this will be the end of the endless flicker and light bulb issue  :thumleft: