Amageza sand practice turning into rescue and recovery (Video added)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleco

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Hello There.

I have been trying to keep my riding skills sharpened up, and to get my falls less, so i was looking for a sand run to practice some more.

Shaun1's bike broke down in the qualifier, so he was determined to do this run again. Sack is always a sucker for sand, and Deon was looking for a place to try out his XR.

We were late, as Deon was having some carb problems. Sack looked a bit impatient, but he kept his cool as we started stripping the carb out of the XR. Shaun1 pitched up a few minutes later.

We needed some tools, so I told Shaun and Sack to go ahead and just stay on the track. We will catch up with them. The look on Sack's face was priceless, when he realized I am giving him an unknown rider with an 1100GS to run the Amageza route through the sand tracks. I think at that stage he was almost ready to tell us all to stuff off! :imaposer:

Shaun only later realized that Stevan is THE "Sack" that is one of the legends on the forum. He said it was a good thing he did not know, as he would have been completely intimidated.

They took off, and Deon and I went in search of some tools in Melkbos. We sorted the XR in quick time, and left. As we stopped at the entrance to deflate the tyres, the phone rang. Stephan and a flying Shaun made it all the way to the media checkpoint in double quick time, where Shaun fell over at walking pace in the corner, and broke his collar bone. First fall of the day following Sack, and at walking speed.  :eek7:

Thats it, ride is over. I phoned Rubicon, and she and Deon's wife Geri jumped in Deon's 4x4, and our bakkie and came through for the rescue.

I found where the Pylons ran over the tar, and got Deon to take my first aid kit through with some pain meds to Shaun1 while I went back to the main Atlantis gate to leave my bike, and wait for the ladies. They arrived in double time, I took over the driving of the Landy and we went in by the Pylons.

When we got there, Shaun was a bit green in the gills, but OK. Geri strapped him up good and proper, tilted the seat backwards, sat behind him and held him down for the ride. Rubicon showed off her 4x4 skills and took the Landy out back to the tar.

That left Deon and I with the simple task of getting an 1100 GS through 3.2kms of sand whoops back to the tar.  :eek:

The video is quite long, but tells the tale. I could get nowhere, Deon took over, and got hurled into the bushes within 20m. He got back up, and left me on my own on the XR. (brought back lonely memories again.) When I caught up with him once, he rode straight into my path, and roosted me with a truck load of sand! :xxbah:

Its unfair how some guys can just get on an 1100 GS (first time ever) in the sand whoops, take one fall and then ride it like it was tar!  :dousing:

[flash=480,385]https://www.youtube.com/v/U6C3TIik4_s[/flash]