Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: trials bikes - speak to me  (Read 328 times)

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
trials bikes - speak to me
« on: December 08, 2011, 01:08:05 pm »
Hey dudes.
Please could someone in the know enlighten me.
Sherco, Beta , and all the different versions of both..... what the hell do i get? and why?
I'm 73 kg in my birthday suit, and i ride fairly ok i think. i like technical stuff, and had an old fantic trials bike awhile back. wanting something i can play around with and hone some skills for my D/S and enduro riding.
I don't want a new bike, but one that i can drop without feeling too bad :)
any advise or comments would be appreciated :thumleft:
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline GRIM

Re: trials bikes - speak to me
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 02:15:01 pm »
Go for a 2006 - 2008 270 Beta Rev 3.
Great motors, price is reasonable, good parts support. Bike is till very rideable.

Older bikes are going for around R15-20K, but are starting to get a bit long in the tooth when you can pick up a good condition 2008 for around R25K. Graham Harris brings in Betas, & has a comprehensive stock of spares, and ships nationwide.

The Shercos I don't know that well, none of the GP guys ride them - the importer used to be in durban, & I think it is now with one of the Durban BMW agents now. Not many of them around though.

Gas Gas is good aswell, imported & supported through Rockgarden in CPT, not as many older bikes around though, as they only took over the agency a while ago.

Montessa 315s are good, but also getting long in the tooth as they haven't been available since 2001/2 when honda pulled the 2stroke motor. Their 4 strokes are good for the top riders, but very pricy & scarce.

Any more questions?
 ;D

Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:06 pm »
thanks bud  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
that clears up alot!!!
i vaguely know the sherco dealer here in natal, and have tried out one awhile back. nice cause it's close and makes a difference with spares and service etc....
i appreciate your advice on price and age of bikes! will keep my nose to the ground  :biggrin:
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline superfoxi

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Professional motorcycle and suspension services
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:57:58 pm »
Give me a shout...I have the right one for you (no, it's not a twin shock Fantic  ;))

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:43:30 pm »
Haha! thanks mike - you read my mind hey - you were my 1st call to be made!

Offline superfoxi

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Professional motorcycle and suspension services
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 08:00:31 pm »
Thanx! :3some: