Project Meerkat: Converting the DRZ in the ultimate lightweight Adventure bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbbiker

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Let me first start at the beginning. I always wanted a bike that I can play with at the weekend but also take on a longer trip.
The following is the start of an attempt to create the ultimate Lightweight Adventure Bike that fit my requirements.
Since there is nothing on the market (In my opinion that offers this) this makes me the Leader in that market  :mwink:
(Note my definition of lightweight Adventure Bike is anything smaller than 500cc so Yes the KTM Oryx does NOT count! )

PS: Since the KTM guys call their 690 the Oryx, I decided to also give mine an African flavour, so I called it the Meerkat ::)

The main reason to start this project is to make the ride more comfortable, doing plus 110 kpa on a stock standard DRZ for more than 100km is NOT fun.
So I decided it needs a fairing, like what is used in the Dakar. View thread for more info: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=54687.msg1709922#msg1709922

So lets get to it

The plan is to ultimately build the final product out of fibreglas (Or even out of PVC sheeting)
The biggest challenge at the moment is to find the correct lights.
I am looking at 90mm Hella driving lights - they off a twin combination with Low beam and high beam. The problem is that they use an H9 bulb that is 65W. The standard DRZ is H3 and 55W.
The ultimate solutionn will be HID. If you have any ideas or solutions please let me know.

It all started with a Paper template.
IMG_0337S.png

I then traced this onto Komatex sheets, cut them out and started bending:
IMG_0342_S.png

Build the first prototype
IMG_0347S.png

mock-up view
IMG_0348S.png

Close up of second prototype
IMG_0413S.jpg

I then took it for a test ride to find out if there is any protection from the wind
IMG_0397S.jpg

More pictures
IMG_0376S.jpg

Fitted the perspex screen
IMG_0412S.jpg

IMG_0408S.jpg

TODO:
1. Fabricate the bracket and fit to frame ( I have a bolt on solution!)
2. Fit lights.
3. Paint the fairing (Please help with ideas!)
4. Complete the fibreglas mold

As I progress I will post and give you all an update.

Any help with the light will be appreciated !